PF63E filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4627091/Ecotec_5.3_oil_filter_bypass_P

After reading the above article, I've decided to run the PF63E or other filters with the equivalent bypass psi instead of the Fram Ultras and Napa Golds I've been using. So, if I read correctly, the PF63E spec is 22 psi? If so, using the Motorcraft FL500S and Napa Gold 7502 (which is the fl500s equivalent) would be safer than using the Napa Gold 7045, which is the PF63e equivalent and has a bypass spec of only 12-15 psi. Or should I continue using any filter that crosses and not worry about the bypass spec?

A filter bypass valve setting is also dependant on the media flow performace and strength with delta-p across it. Racing filters have a relatively high bypass setting because of the expected use of thicker oil and high volume oil pumps with high RPM use. Combine that with a somewhat restrictive flowing filter and the bypass valve setting goes up even a bit more.

Originally Posted By: mobilaltima
Or should I continue using any filter that crosses and not worry about the bypass spec?

I would think any major filter manufacturer would do their homework on specifying a filter to a specific vehicle, and make sure the max expected delta-p is well below the bypass valve setting. But that would be hard to confirm.

GM might be specifying a 22 PSI bypass on the AC Delco because it's a bit restrictive, or maybe because they think people are going to hammer the throttle a lot before the oil gets fully warmed up. I doubt the oil pumps on factory stock cars are putting out that crazy of flow (ie, 12+ GPM). Probably a combination of factors.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
A filter bypass valve setting is also dependant on the media flow performace and strength with delta-p across it. Racing filters have a relatively high bypass setting because of the expected use of thicker oil and high volume oil pumps with high RPM use. Combine that with a somewhat restrictive flowing filter and the bypass valve setting goes up even a bit more.

Originally Posted By: mobilaltima
Or should I continue using any filter that crosses and not worry about the bypass spec?

I would think any major filter manufacturer would do their homework on specifying a filter to a specific vehicle, and make sure the max expected delta-p is well below the bypass valve setting. But that would be hard to confirm.

GM might be specifying a 22 PSI bypass on the AC Delco because it's a bit restrictive, or maybe because they think people are going to hammer the throttle a lot before the oil gets fully warmed up. I doubt the oil pumps on factory stock cars are putting out that crazy of flow (ie, 12+ GPM). Probably a combination of factors.

The GM bulletin is in the link. Specifically they say don't use a 15 bypass filter and why. Others like Wix are just better at providing more accurate cross over numbers than Fram. Wix even makes the special PF65 cross for my Volt, Fram doesn't they give me a standard GM filter.

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
The GM bulletin is in the link. Specifically they say don't use a 15 bypass filter and why.

Not all GM vehicles (and especially not all other non GM brand vehicles) fall under that TSB. The OP doesn't even list a GM vehicle in his signature, so not sure what vehicle he's using this filter on. Is he just cross referencing the AC Delco to use on his non-GM vehicle?

I found plenty “thou shall” around Dexos and oil grade in my OM … but the PF63E was only found in the chart …

If I have 8 quarts of 0w20 in the sump … and it all (previously) passed through a 20 micron Fram Ultra … 2 seconds of bypassing ain’t taking that engine out …

I’m now more worried of E-core failure … so best drop them at 2nd hand store before I change my mind …

Originally Posted By: 4WD
I found plenty “thou shall” around Dexos and oil grade in my OM … but the PF63E was only found in the chart …

If I have 8 quarts of 0w20 in the sump … and it all (previously) passed through a 20 micron Fram Ultra … 2 seconds of bypassing ain’t taking that engine out …

I’m now more worried of E-core failure … so best drop them at 2nd hand store before I change my mind …

The Ultra flows very well, so highly doubt you'll ever put it into bypass unless you're revving the engine to near redline right after a -30 deg F cold start. And even in a scenario like that, it's possible that the oil pump might hit pressure relief before the filter hits bypass.

Originally Posted By: 4WD
… it all (previously) passed through a 20 micron Fram Ultra … 2 seconds of bypassing ain’t taking that engine out …

AGREED!

I don't buy into this high-PSI bypass pressure voodoo fear-mongering!

We only see low 20’s once in a while … and trust me “the bride” is gonna use that remote start even then
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back