2018 Camry Recall. Pistons Too Big

Status
Not open for further replies.

Just thought this one up inspired by this. I'm a Toyota fan, but come on!

Proud of Toyota for getting out ahead of this one. Gonna be expensive, but less so than if ignored!

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Well that's a new one.

Apparently not quite. GM released many many v8 engibes with piston of wrong size. Bow they have piston slap.
From what I have read many trucks ran over 100k like that.

Just run 0W-16 for the tight piston to cylinder clearances.
laugh.gif

I see recalls like this it makes me happy they are admitting their mistakes instead of putting it off as a TSB and have the owners pound sand.

Originally Posted By: Mc357
Originally Posted By: dishdude
Well that's a new one.

Apparently not quite. GM released many many v8 engibes with piston of wrong size. Bow they have piston slap.
From what I have read many trucks ran over 100k like that.

That was the result of short, bulk-fit pistons with uncoated skirts. GM later just coated the skirts. "Back in the day" pistons were, in many instances, hand-fit to the bores and skirts were long, which is why piston slap wasn't a "thing".

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Just run 0W-16 for the tight piston to cylinder clearances.
laugh.gif

You took the words right out of my mouth!

Originally Posted By: JMJNet
Looks like Toyota replacing the whole car? That is good.

Would you want a brand new car that had its engine recalled?

The deal would be to hold on to it for 3yr/36, then do the recall... and get a 2021!

Kudos to the Toy maker for getting out in front on this before mom has the engine seize in traffic on a hot July afternoon while on her way home from work after picking up a young one or two from daycare.
If there are really only a handful of engines involved then this won't be a very expensive event for Toyota and the goodwill they'll earn from having replaced what the owner thought was a perfectly good engine with a new one just because Toyota determined that there might be a problem should win them some lifelong customers.
Too bad Toyota didn't do the same for those plagued with the notorious oil swilling Camrys, Scions and Corollas of a few years back, but that would have involved way too many engines and the '18 Camry is a new model that Toyota is probably anxious to ensure has a successful launch without a lot of the negative buzz online that would result were Toyota merely to sit on its hands and hope for the best.

Originally Posted By: JMJNet
Looks like Toyota replacing the whole car? That is good.

From the notice..replacing the engine.

"If the service techs discover a match with the faulty parts, the entire engine will be replaced at no cost to the customer"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back