New car wrong tires!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a new ok used 6,000 miles 2017 Lincoln MKZ I love the car it has a 400 HP 3.0 V6 and several packages like Sport, Nav, luxury etc. The issue I have is the tires! Although excellent Michelin super high performance tires "Super Sport somethings" this I feel is just the wrong tire for this car. For one thing I live in the Northeast Massachusetts to be exact and it's still quite cold here often below 40 and super HP tires are like useless below 40F and downright dangerous in any kind of snow! We had a dusting the other day and wow! It was not easy getting home. Not to mention the ride suffers from running a summer type tire. This car should have come with a high performance all season tires.

Sorry to vent!

Looks like you'll have to have a 2nd set of cold weather tires/wheels for that car. My 350 hp '99 Camaro came with summer style tires...then again I drive it no more than 200 miles during the winter. If I did, I'd probably have all seasons on there.

Tires are something that could have been negotiated at time of purchase...unless you bought it from a private party. This is especially critical for performance cars. I would think most new Vettes today come with summer tires on them. It's up to the buyer to work out something different.

You bought high performance vehicle with summer tires.
What is wrong with this?

And yes summer tires are not supposed to be used on the snow or below 35-45F.

Maybe that is why it was being sold? Previous owner decided that car sucks in winter.

Krzys

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: krzyss
You bought high performance vehicle

L O L

OP, buy a new set of tires and pop the Michelins on Craigslist. Someone would pick them up in a day or two.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
You bought high performance vehicle

L O L

OP, buy a new set of tires and pop the Michelins on Craigslist. Someone would pick them up in a day or two.

Ya know that's a great idea!

In northern Europe it´s allmost unthinkable not to switch between summer and proper winter tires as the seasons change. If you produce an accident in Germany in the winter on the wrong tires no insurance covers your mishap. Just not serious to have a high powered car and ride summer tires in the winter.

Motorsen

Originally Posted By: Camprunner
This car should have come with a high performance all season tires.

You'll be glad it has these tires in the summer. For winter, get a set of winter tires -- it IS very dangerous to drive the car in the snow with high performance tires.

People who can afford cars that need super sport tires can afford dedicated snows...

Simple as that.

AS tires are a compromise that others may be unwilling to make.

You could swap yours out and get decent money for the PSS which are an excellent tire...

You can afford to buy a Lincoln?.
You can afford to buy the proper winter tires for it as well.
If you can't, you couldn't really afford the Lincoln in the first place.

Claud.

More fun in summer on winter tires - can you say "slideways"
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: 69GTX
Looks like you'll have to have a 2nd set of cold weather tires/wheels for that car. My 350 hp '99 Camaro came with summer style tires...then again I drive it no more than 200 miles during the winter. If I did, I'd probably have all seasons on there.

Tires are something that could have been negotiated at time of purchase...unless you bought it from a private party. This is especially critical for performance cars. I would think most new Vettes today come with summer tires on them. It's up to the buyer to work out something different.

some salesman say we cant change what came with the car (BSBSBS). when we bought a camry they had cars with 3 different tires, we drove all 3 said this brand is much quieter, woman salesman wanting to make a sale said sit down here and have some coffee- and we watched a tech change the tires outside the showroom. neat. 20 min.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
I have never heard of summer and winter tires. Can't drive them below 40f?

???!!?!???!?

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
People who can afford cars that need super sport tires can afford dedicated snows...

Simple as that.

You could swap yours out and get decent money for the PSS which are an excellent tire...

You'd think so..

A buddy has a wheel and tire shop. It is a nearly daily occurence for people to come in with their barely-able-to-afford-the-lease-payment luxury cars, looking for the absolute cheapest no-name tire they can find. Often they've never owned a luxury/sports type car, and aren't aware that those cars take more expensive tires than the Chevy Sonic type car they were previously driving. They are equally shocked that they aren't rated to last 80k+ miles, too.

Originally Posted By: 02SE

Simple as that.

You'd think so..

A buddy has a wheel and tire shop. It is a nearly daily occurence for people to come in with their barely-able-to-afford-the-lease-payment luxury cars, looking for the absolute cheapest no-name tire they can find. Often they've never owned a luxury/sports type car, and aren't aware that those cars take more expensive tires than the Chevy Sonic type car they were previously driving. They are equally shocked that they aren't rated to last 80k+ miles, too.

I too have a buddy who runs a tire shop. (In the UK). He also has people coming in with older high end Mercedes, BMW and Audi cars, wanting either secondhand tires or the cheapest junk they can buy put on them.
To be fair, most of his customers want cheap tires, but most of them drive low budget cars anyway.
Actually he doesn't mind this at all, he tells me he makes much the same margin on most tires he sells, the cheap tires wear out quicker so he gets more business that way.

Claud.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Chris142
I have never heard of summer and winter tires. Can't drive them below 40f?

???!!?!???!?
You bought high performance vehicle with summer tires.
What is wrong with this?

And yes summer tires are not supposed to be used on the snow or below 35-45F.

Maybe that is why it was being sold? Previous owner decided that car sucks in winter.

Krzys

Americans are ignorant about using the proper tires or are cheap and expect all-season tires to excel at everything.
Just put some General RT43's on it and be like the herd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back