Sometimes on a Bike Your Number Just Comes Up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had a cousin and an uncle die while riding a motorcycle in separate accidents. Neither were at fault. Neighbor lost his leg last summer due to an accident. For me the risk is too great. I sold mine years ago.

Just being on a bike certainly ups your chances of death or serious injury, and its usually the other driver.
Spoke to a friend recently that just retired from the local police, and he had motorcycle patrol duty with the cops.
He had had a recent crash - again 3rd party at fault. But he claimed he was skilled and careful.
From what I see and hear about, being skilled and careful just doesn't matter.

Very sad
frown.gif

RIP

Our neighbor up here, and his girlfriend, are both retired Florida sheriff deputies. She was also on the motorcycle force. She lost her leg on a fun ride with friends by an out of control driver.

Yep sometimes you can't avoid it. But for sure you have to drive defensively and never expect to have the right of way.

I don't take my wife on my bike, and didn't take my kids (who are now adults and on their own). I would have liked to, but the risk of injury or worse due to bad drivers is too high. I still enjoy a Sunday morning ride, and have additional high intensity lighting for visibility. But I know there is a risk every time I ride.

Yeah, I don't ride two up anymore. Would feel completely horrible if my fiancee got hurt on the bike with me.

When it's your time to go, it's your time to go.
When it's your time to lose a limb, it's your time to lose a limb.

As opposed to living in fear your whole life, why not enjoy what you have, while you can
21.gif

I love riding. But. After seeing 2 people killed and me almost killed "twice" the same day. No...I'm done. I took the "M" off my license. I know I'm going to die.....but not on a motorcycle. Too many idiots texting and driving out there.

THe few years I rode mine before I sol dit it just got to the point where it seemed like I was having legitimate "close calls" on virtually every ride. Fun, yes, but the risk factor just became too high.

It's guaranteed that none of us will get out of this life alive.

I'm spending the week riding Motorcycles fast. Just came back to camp for a bite to eat, and to peruse Bitog between outings. If you never hear from me again, you'll know I went doing something I love..

Last edited:
Another example of parental control failing. Control your car keys the same you would a loaded gun in the house.

As far as riding motorcycles ... yes, they are more dangerous, but especially when there are so many complete idiots with lack of driving skills all around you that you have no control over. Take that away, and the level of riding safety would be solely on the rider.

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy
When it's your time to go, it's your time to go.
When it's your time to lose a limb, it's your time to lose a limb.

As opposed to living in fear your whole life, why not enjoy what you have, while you can
21.gif

I see it being more about managing risk, and in doing that, keeping in mind your loved ones.
Riding motorcycles and the immediate bad consequences of anyone making a mistake, is a bridge too far for me.

Originally Posted By: oldhp
I love riding. But. After seeing 2 people killed and me almost killed "twice" the same day. No...I'm done. I took the "M" off my license. I know I'm going to die.....but not on a motorcycle. Too many idiots texting and driving out there.

Good skills helped me get the most of the bike out if the way or I would have lost my leg, I actually came out of the crash in decent shape it was the car than ran over me after that got me.
As soon as I could walk and get around I was right back on the new bike and did a 5 day alpine tour, nothing can keep me off it I am addicted to the thing.

I love motorcycles too much to give them up too. I mitigate the chances by wearing safety yellow armor, decent helmet, oscillating headlight and having high performance tires (Dunlop K-591) for maneuverability and grip for stopping.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
http://www.wafb.com/story/37806627/cousi...year-old-driver

Minding their own business riding safe, and Bam-- an unlicensed driver going wrong way into oncoming traffic takes them out.

Two young co-workers of mine were killed, summer of 2016, when an ILLEGAL ALIEN with no license ran a stop sign two years ago.
T-boned them on their Honda Interstate.

Nicest, down to earth couple you would have ever met, Her mom and his dad also worked for my company and still does.
After work on one Saturday, they jumped on the bike to go to one of their parents house, open sort of rural road yet still around town and a road they traveled often.
Car broadsided them both, killed the husband instantly and his wife was thrown so far they had to look for her in the woods/field, police later traced the series of broken tree limbs to where she landed.
The ILLEGAL ALIEN did nothing but stand there (family convince he would have run if his pick up truck would have started up) and other people stopped their cars to help find her as they heard cries from a field. They got her to the hospital, the crew said they had to restart her heart 3 times, she died while she arrived...

One of the people who stopped to help her later contacted the family, he sat in the field with her and told the family what she said.
She was bleeding all over and part of her legs and feet broken backwards/missing and he asked her if she believed in god, she said yes and he held her hand...

They just bought their first home, I guess almost at the point of starting a family.

Be careful out there...

Last edited:
That was a tragic and sad accident that didn't need to happen. It's funny that when there's a train wreck, plane wreck, bus accident,a ferry sinks, or the all too familiar car accident,where alot people die, people don't say I'll never ride in one of those again. But when they hear of a motorcycle accident they run out and buy a "For sale" sign for their motorcycle. I guess thats because all other forms of transportation is considered safer?.,,,

Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
That was a tragic and sad accident that didn't need to happen. It's funny that when there's a train wreck, plane wreck, bus accident,a ferry sinks, or the all too familiar car accident,where alot people die, people don't say I'll never ride in one of those again. But when they hear of a motorcycle accident they run out and buy a "For sale" sign for their motorcycle. I guess thats because all other forms of transportation is considered safer?.,,,

That is correct, even though you likely don't think so.

Considering the amount of motorcycles that are out there comparatively, the accident/death rate is way higher than those other forms of transport combined.
According to the U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), in 2006, 13.10 cars out of 100,000 ended up in fatal crashes. The rate for motorcycles is 72.34 per 100,000 registered motorcycles. ... Per vehicle mile traveled, motorcyclists' risk of a fatal crash is 35 times greater than a passenger car.

I love motorcycles and wanted a road bike for years but there are way too many idiots out there, and it's getting worse every day, for me to ever consider getting one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back