Exhaust recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am trying to figure out what will sound good on a Carbed 4.8/5.3 LS going in my Regal.

Will have long tube headers, 1 3/4" to a 3" collector. I am thinking x-pipe to dual Flowmaster 40s?

Any suggestions?

I usually prefer the sound of silencers that incorporate some sort of lagging in their design (example: Borla) compared to the sound of purely chambered silencers (example: Flowmaster).

The drone of Flowmasters will eventually wear on you.
Hooker makes a great performance muffler that doesn't get much advertising or attention.
Do some searching on AeroChamber's.

I would not put BlowMasters on anything. They usually have a bad resonant drone at 1,800 RPM - just where you cruise on the highway
frown.gif

I've removed them from the last two vehicles I got. Hard to even talk in the cab, much less listen to music ...

Dynomax makes some mufflers that will sound nice at idle up to 900 RPM and then they mellow out. You need to write and e-mail to Walker and ask them...

Last edited:
What about Magna-Flow straight through designs? I put the biggest one I could fit on a 351W truck with 2.5 inch 2 into 1 exhaust and it's much quieter and non-droning than I expected coming from a turbo style muffler that rusted out.

I used Flowmaster 40's on three different Mustangs and liked them. On one I got drone at 1800 to 2000. I would just downshift if it got tiresome. It was below cruising speed with 355 gears.

I've had good results with Magnaflow mufflers.
My brothers 5.3 Chevy and my 6.0 Chevy.
No drone at cruising speeds and not obnoxiously loud.

I have a Magnaflow straight through on my RX7. It sounds great, but freeway drone is horrible. This is probably due to 70 MPH being 3500 RPM on this car. I love the sound when gassing it however. Exhaust is a short header, presilencer, straight back to muffler. I feel the need to add something like a resonator or glass pack in the straight section to see if it helps. I imagine if I wasn't at such high RPM all the time it wouldn't be so bad. Cruising in 5th at under 55mph isn't near as bad as over 60.

I like the Magnaflow "non chambered" muffler it will get a little louder after muffler breaks in but no drone nice mellow sound !

Check out Aero Turbine exhaust. There was a ton of love for those on the Marauder forms. I youtube'd a few Chevy trucks with them and they sound pretty decent. They are a "straight through" design I believe, and less money than the big boys.

I have had alot of different exhaust on my small block chevy's and i think nothing compares to the Borla ATAK mufflers. no drone down the highway and just enough bark when your looking for it. You really need to check them out.

Originally Posted By: 4WD
+1 on Dynomax … largest ID you can fit and they’ll flooooow …

+2 Dynomax are not obnoxious, heavy duty, and relatively inexpensive, especially if they're still doing their rebates.

I like Thrush and Borla mufflers.

Drone really shouldn't be a concern. You can eliminate drone on any exhaust with a bit of math and some extra pipe...

I have glasspacks on my avalanche. Longer glass packs sound better than short ones. With the factory cats, they are not that loud.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back