A UOA with more questions than answers...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's the background information. This is a UOA of the bulk oil that my mechanic uses. It is supposedly a 5w-30. It is supposedly from a place called RILCO (Rock Island Lubricants Company).

This was taken after it had been in the crankcase for 1000 miles. There appears to be coolant contamination, which was the reason for the UOA in the first place

Is it just me, or does this oil seem to be quite weak (Calcium, Phosphorus, Zinc) and quite thin (cSt of 7.8)... especially since it was only in use for 1000 miles?

I was under the impression that coolant thickens up oil, not thins it out.

Unless that oil has been very severely diluted by coolant, it looks like terrible stuff.
Might be worth searching the PQIA for that oil company.

What was the Potassium PPM ( or % )?

Looks like a 20 grade. That aint no 30 grade.
AAlso ZN ( +phos) at or below API limits of acceptability.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Donald
Is your coolant overflow showing a loss of coolant?

There are better UOA that show %Oxidation and TBN.

I say its cheap oil.

Yes, loss at the overflow.

I was only looking for confirmation of contamination... but ended up being shocked on how badly the test results looked. Wasn't going to pay extra for a TBN for an oil that I don't intend to use in the long term.

I wouldn't be surprised if they started with some kind of decent oil, and 'blended' it (read "thinned it out") with something even cheaper to arrive at the product they delivered to your mechanic.

Find a new mechanic or bring your own oil. I am always leery of shops that use name brands that I have never heard of. A reputable shop usually uses known brand oil even if it is in a 55 gallon drum.

Quote:
That looks like a 20 [Grade], I think a VOA would be a good move before using it again.

For sure and nothing to write Momma about.

Most likely Total Bulk oil.

Originally Posted By: deven
Find a new mechanic or bring your own oil. I am always leery of shops that use name brands that I have never heard of. A reputable shop usually uses known brand oil even if it is in a 55 gallon drum.

This.

I'd just find a new mechanic as this one seems oblivious to oil quality and current standards. What else do they scrimp on?

Originally Posted By: deven

This. Utter garbage
37.gif

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Quote:
That looks like a 20 [Grade], I think a VOA would be a good move before using it again.

For sure and nothing to write Momma about.

Most likely Total Bulk oil.
Thanks for correcting me, Mola-is Total oil that bad? This looks more like some of that non-name convenience store oil.

Bulk oils are usually so-so.

Next time you might want to buy some Pennzoil Mineral oil (if that is what you use) and take it to your mechanic, that way you will know what's going in it.

Just tell the mechanic at the next scheduled service you will supply the engine oil.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
What was the Potassium PPM ( or % )?

Looks like a 20 grade. That aint no 30 grade.
AAlso ZN ( +phos) at or below API limits of acceptability.

Potassium was at 530 PPM on that test.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back