Coffee and carcinogens

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had no idea that the roasting process of the coffee beans created a number of carcinogenic substances, one of which is acrylamide (also a known toxic substance that affects the nervous system). So a judge has ordered coffee retailers in California to include a warning about coffee causing cancer.

Will I reduce my consumption of coffee as a result of knowing this? So far, my addiction to coffee says that I should continue to drink it, but maybe reduce the amount.

http://www.fox5dc.com/news/california-judge-coffee-needs-cancer-warnings

A few years ago coffee supposedly had antioxidants which reduced cancer.

One of the reasons I quit watching or reading news.

Living in CA causes cancer in mice. Sheesh
13.gif

Most people where I live in CA moved here from somewhere else. It's so bad where I live people pay thousands to come visit a few days. Getting late, retired now and almost time to take the dog on the beach trail walk. People so nice here, love it. I guess people happy with where they live makes them nicer. Proceed with the one size fits all hate. My doctor just told me to cut down on coffee for other reasons.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: krismoriah72
A few years ago coffee supposedly had antioxidants which reduced cancer.

One of the reasons I quit watching or reading news.

Amazing how they flip flop on these things isn't it?

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
My doctor just told me to cut down on coffee for other reasons.
laugh.gif

Don't worry. Soon you'll have the whole state unable to afford a cup of coffee and nobody there will have to spend precious brain cycles even thinking about it any more.

Unfortunately, the only people benefiting are the Legal Groups such as Metzger:

http://www.toxictorts.com/index.php/about-us/cases/current-cases/acrylamide-litigation.html

No need to freak out however:

https://newfoodeconomy.org/coffee-acrylamide-california-proposition-65/

Quote:
...Yet, as is often the case in nutrition, the devil is in the dose.

Workplace exposure to very high doses of acrylamide can cause nerve damage and disorders of the nervous system (13, 14).

Studies in animals have also repeatedly shown that acrylamide causes cancer when eaten.

However, the doses given to animals have been 1000–100,000 times larger than the amounts humans are exposed to through diet.

Humans also metabolize acrylamide differently, so we are exposed to a lower dose of the chemical when our body breaks it down (20).

Unfortunately, there are few human studies on the safety of acrylamide in food, and the results have been inconsistent (21).

It's also important to keep in mind that acrylamide is not a new problem. Despite only recently being discovered in our food, it's likely to have been there in some amount since man started cooking.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/acrylamide-in-coffee#sectio
Quote:
What is acrylamide?

Acrylamide is a chemical used primarily to make substances called polyacrylamide and acrylamide copolymers. Polyacrylamide and acrylamide copolymers are used in many industrial processes, such as the production of paper, dyes, and plastics, and in the treatment of drinking water and wastewater, including sewage. They are also found in consumer products, such as caulking, food packaging, and some adhesives.

Acrylamide is also found in some foods. It can be produced when vegetables that contain the amino acid asparagine, such as potatoes, are heated to high temperatures in the presence of certain sugars (1, 2). It is also a component of tobacco smoke.

How are people exposed to acrylamide?

Food and cigarette smoke are the major sources of acrylamide exposure for people in the general population (3, 4).

The major food sources of acrylamide are French fries and potato chips; crackers, bread, and cookies; breakfast cereals; canned black olives; prune juice; and coffee.

Acrylamide levels in food vary widely depending on the manufacturer, the cooking time, and the method and temperature of the cooking process (5, 6). Decreasing cooking time to avoid heavy crisping or browning, blanching potatoes before frying, not storing potatoes in a refrigerator, and post-drying (drying in a hot air oven after frying) have been shown to decrease the acrylamide content of some foods (7, 8).

People are exposed to substantially more acrylamide from tobacco smoke than from food. People who smoke have three to five times higher levels of acrylamide exposure markers in their blood than do non-smokers (9). Exposure from other sources is likely to be significantly less than that from food or smoking, but scientists do not yet have a complete understanding of all sources of exposure. Regulations are in place to limit exposure in workplaces where acrylamide may be present, such as industrial settings that use polyacrylamide and acrylamide copolymers...

https://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/causes-prevention/risk/diet/acrylamide-fact-sheet

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Just more rubbish out of activist California. Nothing more than that.

Yes and its easy to deal with you just stop shipping your products to Kalifornia. .

Both sets of my grandparents drank coffee like it was water we are talking cup after cup from the time they were young until they were in there 90's and none of them had any cancer at all. One of my grandfathers coffee was so thick it would float an iron wedge!

Frankly I think coffee is the leased of anyone's worry!

Seems that the media changes it's mind constantly on what foods are good and bad. Some studies show eggs are good others bad, same with coffee, tea, beer , wine, chocolate etc. I say eat what you want and do not over think or worry about it. Coffee, tea and beer have antioxitants which as I understand are good, so I drink all 3 and do not worry about it. LOL!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back