2018 Chevy Equinox 1.5 turbo oil recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the first brand new off the showroom floor vehicle I've bought since 1995. Reading the owners manual it says that Dexos1 0W20 is recommended for this engine and the sump is 4.2 quarts (this is the FWD version). So, when should I change out the factory fill and what's a good oil to use? Manual says use an AC Delco PF64 filter (which are easy to find). Thanks!

If it was my car, I would replace the factory fill at 1,500 miles, replace again at 5,000 miles, and stay on a 5,000 mile interval after that.
Any 0W-20 Dexos1 ver2 oil will be fine for the oil change, and yes, I would use OEM oil filters.

My wifes Malibu has the exact same engine and requires 5w-30 Dexos1 Gen2. Why? Maybe because of the smaller grill causing less cooling airflow thru the radiator. Who knows but I think you could go with 5w-30 as well if you want.

I would be happy with any name brand oil that has Dexos1 Gen2 certifications. (Mobil, Pennzoil, Valvoline ect.). I did notice that there is still some Dexos1 Gen1 oil on the store shelves. I had to sift thru the 5 quart jugs of Mobil1 EP last week to get the new and improved Gen2 stuff.

Mobil and Pennzoil have some pretty good rebates out now. Either would be a no brainer in my mind.

My approach would be drain it at 2,000 mi. and refill with a quality synthetic that meets the Dexos (gen 2 on that?) spec. More like 1,000-1,500 if it takes a few months to accumulate those miles. Let it warm up and cool down for a few seconds before startup/shutdown, use good grade fuel, and don't beat on it too hard but a few intentional pulls to about 80% of redline before 1,000 mi. will help finish bedding things in. My preference would be Valvoline but it's just that, a preference.

Last edited:
Any rough edges/high points/swarf or other problems are going to present themselves right away.
I would change the oil very early. Maybe 500 miles. Then go by the maintenance schedule.

Ignore the maintenance minder if it lets you go over 5,000. My sister-in-law followed hers to the letter on her 2013 Equinox and ended up with a timing chain failure that they blamed on the maintenance minder's incorrect programming. The trust is gone.

Change it early. Again at 5,000, and every 5,000 thereafter.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Danno
If it was my car, I would replace the factory fill at 1,500 miles, replace again at 5,000 miles, and stay on a 5,000 mile interval after that.
Any 0W-20 Dexos1 ver2 oil will be fine for the oil change, and yes, I would use OEM oil filters.

+1

The 2016 Malibu has the LFV 1.5 turbo and the 2018 Equinox has the LYX 1.5 turbo. G.M. Engine Authority.

From the manual:Viscosity Grade For the LYX 1.5L turbo engine, use: . Dexos1 approved ACDelco Full Synthetic 0W20 engine oil. . Dexos1 approved Mobil 1 Full Synthetic 0W20 engine oil. . Or any other 0W20 engine oil meeting dexos1 second generation requirements

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: WylieCoyote
Ignore the maintenance minder if it lets you go over 5,000. My sister-in-law followed hers to the letter on her 2013 Equinox and ended up with a timing chain failure that they blamed on the maintenance minder's incorrect programming. The trust is gone.

Change it early. Again at 5,000, and every 5,000 thereafter.

Was that the 3.6? The Saturn Aura I traded had the 3.6 and I never went past 5-6K on oil changes. I read a lot of reports of timing chain failures due to lengthy OCI with that engine.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'll probably do the first change at around 1500-2000 miles then at 5K. My wife and I really like this vehicle, and since were 'older folks' our hooligan days are over, but we don't putter along either.

Originally Posted By: road_rascal
This is the first brand new off the showroom floor vehicle I've bought since 1995. Reading the owners manual it says that Dexos1 0W20 is recommended for this engine and the sump is 4.2 quarts (this is the FWD version). So, when should I change out the factory fill and what's a good oil to use? Manual says use an AC Delco PF64 filter (which are easy to find). Thanks!

Originally Posted By: Danno

Why the push for D1G2 oil when the manual/manu recommends just Dexos-1 oil? Personally, I think this D1G2 thing is way overrated. Nothing wrong with D-1 oil and since it is recommended in a 2018 vehicle, that's what I would run and not give D1G2 oil a second thought.

The manual only states dexos1 and does not specify which generation. Funny thing is right below the oil specs for the LYX 1.5T the LTG 2.0T calls for 5W30 or 0W30 in colder climates.

I would not use anything less than a D1G2 30 weight in any DI turbo engine, especially if you plan on running regular 87 octane gas.

Originally Posted By: webfors
I would not use anything less than a D1G2 30 weight in any DI turbo engine, especially if you plan on running regular 87 octane gas.

I would say this is prudent advice. For your location, a 0w30 or 5w30 would run fine. Pick your favorite brand. Personally I like to dump the factory fill around the 1k mark. Run the next fill to your schedule. I would go 5k for short trips and no more than 7.5k for highway miles. Run a good filter too. Fram Ultra and M1 are favorites here.

Any particular reason to run a 30W instead of the recommended 0W20? I don't want to run into any warranty problems (if) something happens and Chevy says I used the wrong grade oil. I'm probably going to use either PP or Mobil 1 and the AC Delco filter.

Originally Posted By: road_rascal
Any particular reason to run a 30W instead of the recommended 0W20? I don't want to run into any warranty problems (if) something happens and Chevy says I used the wrong grade oil. I'm probably going to use either PP or Mobil 1 and the AC Delco filter.

The difference between a 20 weight and a 30 weight at operating temp is on average 2cst. Thats the buffer you'll need when your DI engine decides to dump 87 octane gas into the cylinder to prevent detonation. That gas will end up in your oil. Lots of threads on fuel dilution.

I posted a torn PF64 from ACDelco. Unfortunately that turned me off them. If you're concerned about bypass spec there are alternatives. Read through the Oil Filter forum. Lots of good information.

If you want to cover your bases, buy a bunch of 0w20 and take copies of the receipts. Then return it for 0w30
grin.gif

My buddies Audi A4 calls for 0w40 year round.

Ugh, I just ordered 8 PF64 filters from Amazon, not the PF64E's. I believe when I bought oil from Walmart it only showed the oil brand and not the type. I'll see what the receipt shows when I buy a couple jugs tomorrow. Thanks.

Originally Posted By: irv

Why the push for D1G2 oil when the manual/manu recommends just Dexos-1 oil? Personally, I think this D1G2 thing is way overrated. Nothing wrong with D-1 oil and since it is recommended in a 2018 vehicle, that's what I would run and not give D1G2 oil a second thought.

dexos1 is now an obsolete spec (as of 9/17). If you find anything on the shelf now that is labelled dexos1 without the Gen 2, it is likely that either the container was made some time ago or the maker is not following the dexos licensing program procedures. One exception would be the M1 AP line, which has had Gen 2 licenses since it was introduced but only says dexos1 on the label because it started being sold before 9/17...I suspect that this expensive oil is moving so slowly that any jugs with the proper dexos1 Gen 2 label probably have not reached shelves yet, if they have actually been produced. There might be other exceptions in this vein.
d1G2 is worth choosing for this application because it includes an LSPI test to help protect DIT engines like the one in the Equinox, and a similar engine in the Malibu was recalled for LSPI damage not long after it was introduced (the DIT in my Subaru underwent a similar recall a few years ago). Lots of people without any skin in the game like to say that LSPI and d1G2 are no big deal, but my feelings are different as the owner of a recalled car.
I have learned recently that dexos2 also includes an LSPI test, so drivers looking for higher HTHS oils can use that as a guide if they have DIT engines and are worried about LSPI. Good luck finding such oils at WM at this point, though...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back