Rancho shocks now OE for GM trucks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been seeing many new GM trucks with these Rancho shocks on them. White tube, red boot. Hard to tell with them up on trailers, but the boots look plastic as opposed to rubber typically found on other aftermarket Ranchos.

I've always been under the impression these weren't so good aftermarket wise. Maybe they've gotten better?
21.gif

I too have run them in the past. Worst shocks ever. I have run Bilstein and KYB with good results. I have the Rough Country Nitrogen shocks now and they have been great for two years.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
Thought they came oe on Ford's for a long time.

Yes. Our 2002 F150 Lariat Fx4 has them and they are still doing great. Truck rides really nice.

Tenneco owns the Rancho brand and that's really what it is at the OE level: A brand.

Tenneco makes shock absorbers for nearly every high-volume OE manufacturer. Most of them are simply black. On some trucks, Tenneco paints them white, puts red boots on them, and slaps on a Rancho sticker.

The aftermarket Rancho parts have very little to do with the OE parts. Tenneco also owns the Monroe brand, but you wouldn't equate Monroe with Tenneco OE shock absorbers. Why? Because of marketing. Monroe isn't seen as a marketable brand for an OE. Rancho is... and the proof is that without even having to look under the truck, we all know that red and white shocks automatically equal Rancho.

A great analog to this is "branded audio" systems. You buy a new car and it has "Pioneer" or "Boston" labeled near the door speakers. This is a "branded audio" system. Those "branded audio" speakers in your new Jeep are nothing like the Pioneer or Boston Acoustic speakers you'd buy from the aftermarket at Crutchfield. The OE side of the business and the aftermarket side of the business are worlds apart.

I run them on the Canyon and have beaten the heck out of them ... really helped on washboard roads over OEM ... boot is soft but never cracked

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Aren't most shocks made by only 2 or 3 manufacturers?

Off the top of my head, the following are OE suppliers:

Tenneco
KYB
ZF
ThyssenKrupp Bilstein
Showa
Hitachi
Fox (low volume for Ford Raptor)
Multimatic (low volume on Camaro ZL1 1LE and Colorado ZR2, Ford GT, MB AMG GT)

Originally Posted By: mclasser
Another OEM is Tokico.

Tokico is Hitachi.

Koni also does low-volume OEM work. But they are popular on the OEM side for truck/bus applications - a lot of touring coaches and Gillig transit buses come with them from the factory.

/edit: Koni doesn't supply Mazda, but they do supply Ferrari.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MrHorspwer
Off the top of my head, the following are OE suppliers:

Tenneco [Monroe, Rancho]
KYB
ZF [Sachs, Boge]
ThyssenKrupp Bilstein
Showa
Hitachi [Tokico]
Fox (low volume for Ford Raptor)
Multimatic (low volume on Camaro ZL1 1LE and Colorado ZR2, Ford GT, MB AMG GT)

a few more:

Gabriel is also an OE supplier, and the oldest manufacturer of shock absorbers (now owned by MAT Holdings, same parent company that owns a lot of the brake companies like Roulunds and Bendix)

BWI makes the magnetic shocks for GM and Ferrari. They're a Chinese company that bought Delphi's suspension and braking operations in 2009

SenSen is an OE supplier to Chinese-market European-nameplate cars such as VW and Volvo. The new Chinese Volvos now being sold here may very well come with SenSen shocks.

someone else already mentioned Koni

Originally Posted By: MrHorspwer
The OE side of the business and the aftermarket side of the business are worlds apart.

This. Comparing the aftermarket to OEM is not a good way to understand the difference as OEM are built to Mfgr specs...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back