Does fuel economy matter to you at all?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes and no. The Chrysler gets decent gas mileage. The Mercury Marquis gets horrible mileage. I would prefer higher mpg. But my bike gets good mpg.

Yes, totally
smile.gif

Yes, absolutely!

Sonata 2.4 - good 28 mpg / Miami traffic / city 40%
Santa Fe turbo - terrible 18 mpg / Miami traffic / city 95% (but fun when on the gas, hard). Still, i'd prefer better MPGs.

Yes, it matters -- I would rather spend less to get from point A to B than spend more.

That's why I cannot understand people who are against improving fuel economy.

If my 4.6 Mustang gets 23-24 MPG,
And my 4.6 F150 gets 18-19 MPG,

You Grand Marquis should be getting at least 20

Yes, I get 18-19mpg in my Jeep. Would I like to get more? Yes. Would I like to drive an Little Economy Box that I have to squeeze into? No thank you.

Yep, we live out in the sticks so we drive quite a bit and gas is $4-5 per gallon, so the difference between a 30mpg and 20mpg vehicle over a couple decades is no joke. I figure it pretty much pays for my kids college education.

Originally Posted By: Alfred_B
Yes, it matters -- I would rather spend less to get from point A to B than spend more.

agree.

we went to england in 2006. 12 gallons was 100 us dollars think about that.

Yes it does to me to some degree. Wife averages about 24K miles a year and I'm right about at 18K miles. But, as long as we get mid 20's mpg, I can live with that. My truck...well...it gets about 13 mpg and probably averages about 4K miles a year.

When I drove in excess of 25,000 miles per year it certainly mattered but, now that I drive less the 7,000 per year it matters less but, is till important to me. Ed

Fuel economy is a funny thing and it makes people do and say funny things.

Like when people who bought a Hummer H2 complained about the fuel economy
crazy2.gif

Here's another fun one. The next time someone goes on a rant about auto-stop on new cars, ask them if they'd willingly pay $2.64/gallon for fuel at a gas station when the station across the street has it for $2.40/gallon, but you have to make some annoying left turns to get there?

When you tell people that auto-stop will net them 10% better fuel economy, they say, "I don't care! It's annoying and I hate it and I will never buy a car with one!"

When you ask people if they'd rather pay $2.64/gallon or $2.40/gallon, they say $2.40 every single time (even if they have to do annoying things like left turns). It's the same 10% difference, people just respond to dollars differently than an abstract number like MPG.

Yes, but I'm not jaded to the actual math. Selling my '85 GMC that guzzles 2.13 oz. per second going down the highway on a good day (that's 12 MPG for you lazy-butts :p ) to start paying $500/mo. for something of equal towing capability (10,000 lb.) that gets any better mileage doesn't make sense because I drive it
I maintain my Cruze to a T because it stands to get 35+ MPG for the next 200K, and after I pay it off in 2 years even the increased maintenance of a 175K-mile car will be pennies on the dollar to trading it in on another payment and I'm not sure any models that get more than 10% better fuel economy would be nearly as appealing to me.

Originally Posted By: Linctex

You Grand Marquis should be getting at least 20

It might break 20 on a good day. It seems to do far worse. I had a Regal with the 3800 motor before this car. It got good mileage.

Originally Posted By: edwardh1
Originally Posted By: Alfred_B

agree.

we went to england in 2006. 12 gallons was 100 us dollars think about that.

We have vehicles on the market today that get very good fuel economy. Toyota Yaris, Chevy Sonic, Prius C to name a few. Do you guys drive any if these?

Nobody is against better fuel economy, but people are against artificial increase in fuel costs to force people into smaller vehicles. That's what happens in England and most of Europe.

You want to drive a small, underpowered econobox, you're free to do it and have quite a few models to choose from. Why do you feel everyone else should think like you?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back