Sta-bil for car the barely runs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thought of adding sta-bil to my gas tank?

I have a 84 caprice landau with 14k on it. Showroom condition. She sits a lot. I know gas eventually goes bad so I’m worried about gas being kept in the gas tank of the car too long. Please don’t answer with drive her more. thanks

Last edited:
LOL....

I google image "1984 Chevrolet Caprice Classic Landau" and this is the first image my computer shows:

1001_lrmp_02_o-1984_chevrolet_caprice_classic-side.jpg

Also wouldn't hurt to make sure that its got non-ethanol gas in it if its available in your area. It should keep slightly longer with less risk of damage to fuel components than E10.

+1 on the E0-biggest problem I ever had with my GM Quadrajets was degradation due to ethanol. I would use the green marine Sta-Bil, I think it's a little better than the regular.

I can't purchase E0 gas, it just isn't available where I live.
What I do on my collector cars is run the tank down to almost zero and fill it with 100LL AVGAS at my local small airport. I also take a gas can with me and fill it for use in my OPE small engines. Some small airports won't let you do this, but mine does.
100LL can NOT be used in 1975 and up cars that have catalytic converters (unless you remove them) because it contains lead. 100LL does not contain any oxygenated compounds (like ethanol). Because of the way it is refined/formulated it's shelf life is rated in years instead of months so it doesn't need any fuel preservative added to it. It's octane rating is 96 (when compared to the pump gas octane formula) so it is an excellent fuel to use in high-compression muscle cars from the 60's.

Originally Posted By: gallydif
Thought of adding sta-bil to my gas tank?

I have a 84 caprice landau with 14k on it. Showroom condition. She sits a lot. I know gas eventually goes bad so I’m worried about gas being kept in the gas tank of the car too long. Please don’t answer with drive her more. thanks

I like blue StaBil, its got more cleaners than the regular. But it will not make the gas last forever. Between one and two years based on storage conditions.

They may sell E0 fuel and OPE dealers by the 5 gallon drum.

My bike will sit up to 6 months sometimes, or more. With that engine, it will caugh and far on poor quality gas. It never had issues starting, never used any additives, however I do run 2/3 tanks of pure gasoline before letting it sit. My rules is ethanol after storage and never before.

Not sure why you posted it here since the forum Topic is:

OTC and Third Party Oil Additives

There IS a proper forum here:

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/forums/37/1/Fuels_and_Fuel_Additives:_Gaso

Last edited:
Post pictures.

I had an 84 coupe landau in college in 2001. Loved the massive doors. So easy to get in an out of but sucked in parking lots. It had almost every option except had been repowered with a 305 after the diesel clunked.

Last edited:
Sta-bil does help forget about the times that engine started anyway. When it doesn't those previous times do nothing to help you out. Check around you'll usually just see a sticker and sometimes an extra hose on a pump when they add ethanol free. Some advertise it banner, etc but others just silently start. It is essential for boats but for small engines, motorcycles vehicles not used much it's helpful. It's less corrosive, don't have water problems can fix that engine that wasn't the same after the govt and farmer frank pushed his swill on us.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back