Whats a good tire gauge?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've used the pencil style gauges for years, but am growing increasingly dissatisfied. Can't seem to find an accurate one. Right now the one I have reads 2-4 psi below what the tpms on the dashboard reads in both a Camry and in a Pilot. Never sure which is correct ... the dash reading or the tire gauge. To add insult to injury, when I take my cars in for a free tire rotation, the dealer checks tire pressure and adjusts the pressure again even thought I've got my dash reading at the manufacturers spec. Ugh! Any suggestions???

This is one of the nicer ones you'll find anywhere:

http://www.jegs.com/i/Auto-Meter/105/2160/10002/-1

105-2160.jpg

BTW... only "Milton" brand "pencil style" tire gauges have ever been accurate.

They are too easy to copy... but the copies aren't that good (as you have found)

Originally Posted By: Linctex
BTW... only "Milton" brand "pencil style" tire gauges have ever been accurate.

They are too easy to copy... but the copies aren't that good (as you have found)

Ditto.
Milton tire pressure gauges are made in the USA. I bought mine at Rural King.

I have a Milton and similar clones, Milton works the smoothest and less air comes out when put I the valve stem.

However, the digital tire gauges interest me. Any good ones of those out there?

The most important is DO NOT DROP THE GAUGES. Had a nice gauge dropped it and noticed it was sticky, totally inaccruate, but retruned to zero.... and the dealership yelling at me for over pressurizing my tires.

Last edited:
Another Milton user here. Supposedly, I keep one in every glovebox, and a couple in my tool boxes. Sometimes they seem to grow legs and wander away.

I have the same one although an older model. I send it back every few years to be calibrated.

Originally Posted By: gaijinnv
Accuracy to 0.1%, temperature compensated, humidity compensated, barometric pressure compensated, when you want to know what your tire pressure really is Intercomp is the one I use and recommend: Intercomp Digital Tire Pressure Gauge

Measures to 0.01psi

Intercomp_29MAR18_zpsqoairhzi.jpg

HTH

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
.... and the dealership yelling at me for over pressurizing my tires.

Yeah, buddy... that's *their* job.... Stop horning in on what they do. They're the ones who are fully qualified to over-inflate your tires... not you.

OK, I'll stop now.

Whoa ... what a selection! Thanks guys. I had no idea there were that many good choices out there. Probably won't opt for the $300 InterComp even thought I'd love to have it. So glad I asked, thanks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back