Mobil 1 0W40 dexos 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got some info that Mobil 1 0w-40 is now dexos 2 and is going to be used in some 2019 model Corvettes, Camaro's CTS-V and CT6. This is in the LT1, LT4, LT5 6.s and LTA 4.2 engines.

So much for thinner oils for CAFE.

From the hths and other additives, looks closer to a 30 grade than ever. Doesn't look as potent as the old Mobil 1 0w-40 FS. TBN has fallen way off too.

"The ONLY motor oil specifically developed to help protect in extreme temperatures"....?!?!?!?

PFFFFFTTTTT

Originally Posted By: ammolab
So this should be OK for the LS3 in my Chevy SS Sedan (Vette engine for 2008-2013)?
Yes, it should be. I don't see no reason why it would be bad to use.

So it's finally official and not just dealer here-say.

Yes it's a rather thin 40-weight, could just as easily use PP Euro L (DexOS2,) or Valvoline Synpower MST...

DexOS1-G2 is just too thin for performance (and big bore) applications. The >3.5 HTHS os DexOS2 oils is the key here. In my personal opinion DexOS2 oils are just more robust than the DexOS1 counterparts. That's why I recommend them for use. Basically an A3/B4 oil with slightly lower SAPS.

Regards
Jordan

Originally Posted By: Rat407
Just got some info that Mobil 1 0w-40 is now dexos 2 and is going to be used in some 2019 model Corvettes, Camaro's CTS-V and CT6. This is in the LT1, LT4, LT5 6.s and LTA 4.2 engines.

It's all about recommending the appropriate viscosity for a given application. Has nothing to do with CAFE requirements which calculate an average for a mfc entire line.

Originally Posted By: Rat407

???

What do you mean by that ?

Didn't the Corvette used to have a skipped shift (1-4 IIRC)...or was that purely for performance, emulating the MoPar 3 speeds of the day.

The 7 speed manual Corvettes still have the forced 1-4 shift to this day. I have never understood how that can possibly save fuel in the long run, first of all most people either bypass it, or simply drive harder to avoid it! So by driving it harder they are using more fuel. Silly move GM, it doesn't work, so I don't understand why they keep the annoying thing. My last Corvette was a manual and one of the first things I did was visit my local tuner and have him remove that programming.

Now they also have cylinder shutdown technology, although this one actually works, it adds about 2-3 mpg. It can be overridden in the automatic cars by putting it in manual mode and using the paddle shifters. And with manual trans cars it only activates when the driving mode is set to eco (which not many manual drivers I have talked to will ever use)

Anyhow, I'm getting off track. I'm annoyed that this oil has been hyped up by GM and Mobil 1 but yet it's still not available in very many dealers, and the ones that do stock it won't sell it to the public, they will only use it in their service bay. So do it yourselfers like me have to wait a long time to get their hands on this oil, or like I've posted in other areas, look for a possible dexos2 alternative choice like 5w30 ESP or PP Euro L 5w30. Hopefully in a year or two there will be a few other dexos2 0w40s to choose from (are you listening Pennzoil?)

Funny, seems like only the other day that you were arguing that it was Dexos 1 0W40, and I was wrong re Dexos 2, as its only for diesels...anyways...for the new Diesel Corvettes

Castrol edge 0W40

Couple of Mobil 0W40 ESPs with dexos 2 listed.

And a whole bunch of other providers.

https://www.centerforqa.com/dexos-brand2/

Could have any number of 5W40s, or >3.5 HTHS 5W30s...or the moderns varietals of GC 0W30

I was simply confused that GM was using a dexos2 oil in the first place since my owner's manual called for dexos1. And when I visited the dexos website they mentioned that dexos1 was for gasoline and dexos2 was for diesel. Obviously things have changed and now more gasoline engines are using dexos2.

The Castrol 0w40 sold in North America does not have dexos2 certification unfortunately, but maybe it will be coming soon?

Originally Posted By: wemay
I believe there's always been a few dexos2 API SN oils.

Yes, but 0w40 dexos2 oils are a rarity, that's the issue here.

Hopefully this makes the store shelves soon, for Dexos 2 "Track oil" Locally I can only find Valvoline MST from Napa, otherwise I have to go online.

I purchased Motul in a 20L container (21 quarts) for a little bit of a savings over normal 5L containers but if the price is close on the 5L I would just buy that as getting the oil out of the 20L is more of a hassle(need a pump).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Patman
Originally Posted By: wemay
I believe there's always been a few dexos2 API SN oils.

Yes, but 0w40 dexos2 oils are a rarity, that's the issue here.

I would think the HT/HS would be more important. Even the 5W30 Pennzoil Euro L is 3.5. Granted, the selection is few and far between.

But your primary displeasure of not being able to obtain this specific oil is understood.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back