A/C question

Status
Not open for further replies.

I recently had my A/C in my 1986 Buick T Type converted to R134 from R12.. Before the swap I was running cool but not cold. After the swap I was told I may be leaking from my compressor as it showed signs of oil leakage. Long story short I now have NO cold air and a guage check indicates NO Freon in the system. Is this possible or have I been had? I was told I might need a new compressor but the sudden change is kind of dramatic.

R134a has a much smaller molecular size than R12. Extremely small leaks with R12 can become much larger leaks when the system is converted to R134a. It just happens occasionally, with no great way to predict the outcome of the conversion.

Whoever did the conversion really should have fixed any leaks, or at the very least given you a proper estimate, before giving the vehicle back to you.

And, R134a usually runs at higher pressures than R-12. So, if you did have a leak - indicated by oily residue - the new refrigerant definitely would leak out faster than the R-12. I had an 89 Honda converted to Freeze 12 eight years ago. It's basically about 80% R134a with another gas blended in that is able to carry the mineral oil through the system. My output temperatures were about three degrees higher than with R-12 and A/C performance while the car was stopped was somewhat reduced. I'd rather stick with R-12 or HC refrigerants.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
If it has that round R4 compressor they all leak.

Agreed.... one of GM's not-so-better ideas......

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Originally Posted By: 007
Would using Freon with stop leak work?

Yeah it'll clog everything up nicely.
ya it will.dont put a rebuilt compressor on it either. New only.

How complete was the retrofit. A good job can work well, but if certain things are overlooked or not done, leaks and other issues can be prevalent.

R12 has dropped in price. You may have been much better off leaving it.

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy
I never knew r12 was still available. I thought it was phased out years ago
we still have 60 lbs of it. Is getting harder to find. I often buy it at yard sales.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Whoever did the conversion really should have fixed any leaks, or at the very least given you a proper estimate, before giving the vehicle back to you.

I agree. Mechanic stated the system held vacuum for some time before they added 134 otherwise he would have not added any Freon with a leak. Car is going back Monday to see what the dye says. I also asked to be compensated for my $122 spent on hot air in the final repair to which he agreed. Will see what happens!

There are lots of times a leak will hold vacuum but not pressure. Especially the compressor shaft seal.

If you're going to charge with R-12, do a static pressure test with some other gas first. Also if PAG oil has been used in the conversion, it needs to be totally removed because R-12 chemically reacts with PAG and turns it to sludge.

Just had the whole A/C system replaced to work with R134. Cost me over $800 for a kit with install including replacing the serpentine belt and tensioner. No break for the money previously spent on the failed cheaper conversion. OUCH!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back