Anyone try renewing there Drivers license ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whipcitywrencher

Site Donor 2024
Be Ready if you have to.
I tried doing mine on line today and what a pain in the butt, couldn't do it, they want proof that your lawfully here. Haven't had a reason to use a birth certificate for so long I don't know where mine is. So I have to go to city hall in the city I was born in and get a certified birth certificate.
What because a few illegals are in are country,
spankme2.gif
Get them. Iv'e had a Drivers licence for over 40 years. Why bother the simple folks? (vented feel better now)
smile.gif

That's just a new MA thing. Happening all over the country. It's because of 9/11. So after 17 years, they're finally getting around to issuing IDs that verify citizenship. I think a SS card will also work. I'm just going to wait til the crowds die down a little. You can still do it online if you don't care about having a Real ID compliant ID. But you'll need a passport or other government ID for air travel or entering government buildings.

There are more than just a few. It depends on where you live.

You do make a good point though. Rules change so it’s a good idea to check online before going down to the dmv and wasting hours of time just to find out you need other paperwork.

I renewed mine in Utah a couple years ago online. Easy peasy and didn't even have to provide an updated photo. Guess it depends on what state you're in.

I worry about the eye test. This doesn't make sense as it isn't required to be born in the USA to get a DL, or be a citizen, never was. There has to be a number of other documents that qualify legal residency.

Here you need birth certificate and SS card if you want the Real ID license. One that can be used to get onto military bases and such.

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
I worry about the eye test. This doesn't make sense as it isn't required to be born in the USA to get a DL, or be a citizen, never was. There has to be a number of other documents that qualify legal residency.

Would you rather carry all those documents when you get on s plane ...or have a drivers license that satisfies the ID requirements?

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
That's just a new MA thing. Happening all over the country. It's because of 9/11. So after 17 years, they're finally getting around to issuing IDs that verify citizenship. I think a SS card will also work. I'm just going to wait til the crowds die down a little. You can still do it online if you don't care about having a Real ID compliant ID. But you'll need a passport or other government ID for air travel or entering government buildings.

Not necessarily citizenship. Definitely legal status though in order to get a Real ID compliant DL or ID. A US passport or passport card will suffice. A foreign passport with US visa (like a student or work one) or a green card will usually be enough.

I did it a few months ago. I called in ahead of time to make sure of the hours and was told that I needed two different forms of identification. An old driver's license and a printed, personalized check would work, OR a current bill that I recently received in the mail would also be okay.
When I got there, I didn't need to show two forms. It turns out that many years ago I dated the lady who renewed my driver's license and she still remembered me.
blush.gif

Wife renewed today. Took less than a half hour at our County Annex office. She had to provide a passport, proof of residency at her current address, Social Security card (original, no copies). My RealID requirement to renew comes up in about two years. I received one of the Kansas non-RealID licenses when I renewed two years ago, because Kansas couldn't get their administrative act together to issue RealID licenses. Good thing we have passports as we can't find her birth certificate when we looked.

Originally Posted By: ammolab
Originally Posted By: goodtimes

Would you rather carry all those documents when you get on s plane ...or have a drivers license that satisfies the ID requirements?

That makes no sense either. It is not a requirement to be a citizen to get a DL. So many foreign workers and people have DL's and are not citizens, and it has been this way before we were born.

Originally Posted By: 28oz
I renewed mine in Utah a couple years ago online. Easy peasy and didn't even have to provide an updated photo. Guess it depends on what state you're in.

Utah provides Driver's License to illegals as well.

All true but citizenship is not required to get a DL. I lived and worked in other states and countries and had to get their DL's based on my length of stay. No, voting registration is not based on having only a DL anywhere.
Illegals getting DL/s is not so simple. The reason for it is those people are going to drive anyway, so they are better to be responsible for accidents and driving with some sort of rules testing. It's not to favor them with a gift, it is for the good of everyone. In all my 42 years of driving I have never been stopped to check if I have a license. But in an accident I was. So don't think anyone here illegally isn't going to get in a car and drive, without any testing or accountability, or with. That's why some states do it.

I went through this 2 months ago. Got a letter telling me that the DMV wanted a new pic of me. The Letter said I had to bring money,me and paperwork from my physical. That's all,nothing else. Took the morning off of work unpaid to do this.Got to the DMV and the witch at the counter said I needed another form of I.D. Went to the bank and got that. Went back to the DMV. This time the Witch said I needed an Original birth cert. Went home,45 minutes each way plus searching for my cert at home.

Went back to the dmv and the witch said I took to long and my Appt had passed and that I would have to wait for an opening. Waited 3hrs 45 minutes. Got called. Went back to the witch and now she wanted 2 forms of I.D! I told her to get EFFED which got me removed from the DMV.

Went to the one in Barstow,Ca the next day and all they wanted was my pic,old license,medical and I was done in 20 minutes.

I swear that the Victorville,Ca DMV tries to ruin your day. The winner gets free lunch on friday.

Originally Posted By: rollinpete

What because a few illegals are in are country,
spankme2.gif
Get them. Iv'e had a Drivers licence for over 40 years. Why bother the simple folks? (vented feel better now)
smile.gif

It's because YOU are so easy to copy, that's why.....

There's probably another 4-5 "rollinpete" across this country....

all of our private info is always for sale

Since NJ gives licenses to undocumented people, next time I plan to go with zero documents and ask for that type.

Connecticut gives out the gold star on your license. That's for entering govt buildings in the near future, air planes, etc. Need to present multiple forms of ID. In my case I couldn't find my SS card readily...so I took a military DD214, notarized/sealed Birth Certificate, bills, and some other docs. Took no more time than a regular license visit...about 2 hours. A passport helps...and is in fact almost the same thing.

Yah, I have gathered all my papers. Took me the morning. I can't renew on line. But I am AAA insured. I think they can renew.

I provided all my documents in Florida like 7 YEARS AGO. Taxechusets must be really behind the ball.

Got the little gold star on my license, that I guess proves that I really am, who I say I am.

We just renewed all our family passports and they all came back in about 10 days, which is super fast compared to what it used to take.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back