The easiest oil change I’ve ever done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Earlier today I changed the oil on the Mazda CX-5 in the sig. I have owned six new vehicles in my driving life and up till now each one was a real bugger getting the filter off or the drain plug out.

After removing the access panel I saw the drain plug and filter right close to each other. I tried a quick couple of times to remove the filter by hand but then switched to a cheap Hypertough filter wrench from Wallys. Loosened like a charm. Next I attached the 8mm hex drive to a ratchet and snap, it was loose.

I drained the Idemitsu factory fill which still looked good like amber honey and refilled with VAS 0w20. Also replaced the Roki filter with a M1 M108EP which I bought earlier. The Mazda dealers only had the value line filters and I had hoped for the Thai made ones.

I’m not as fast as most of you but in just under one hour I was finished and buttoned up. I’m sure everyone has their stories of struggling with first time changes but this change really made me satisfied. Honestly, the hardest part was removing and replacing the access panel. Those nylon push rivets were a bit of a struggle.

Sorry you didn't spill the oil on the driveway and end up spending half a day trying to clean it up. JK

Yeah, the access panels are a PITA for me too. They generally use small, easily rusted screws with hex heads that just aggravate me. As far as belly pans go, my favorite is in my Forester. there is generally good coverage of the undercarriage, but there are nice big access points with a lip up into the pan to keep junk out. Reach up in with a ratchet and a filter wrench, drain the oil, and wipe off the pan. It could be a little neater but it's no big fuss.

Congrats on the new CX-5, they look good!

If only Mazda would offer the 2.5 turbo engine from the CX-9 in more vehicles! I think they should put it in the MX-5
smile.gif

Any car that has those stupid access panels, just take it off and don't put it back on
27.gif

Does your car have enough clearance for the longer M1-110?
smile.gif

To answer multiple questions;

Our community doesn’t allow working on cars but I think they mean other things besides changing the oil.
Yes, spilling oil would be a big mess.
I like to keep the panels on. This is only about 8-10 inches square. It’s not big at all. They keep the underside clean. I use a touch of spray lithium grease on the screws before assembling. A old mechanic taught me that.

There is a lot of people wanting the turbo 2.5 in all of Mazda’s cars. Yes the CX5 would really be something with that. I’m not a speed demon so I’m happy with the na engine. SkyActiv X is what will change everything though and my impression is that Mazda is going to the bank on that engine. But in the meantime......

One thing to add; the car only had 1627 miles at the change but the oil had absolutely no fuel smell at all. Since the dealers tank, I’ve been running Shell 91 octane. My current fuel mpg is 28.7 which includes a lot of short trips. When I do get it up to highway speeds I am hitting 33mpg. I found that the digital readout and the manual calculation were within a couple of tenths of mpg so for easiness I just use the computer and reset at each fill up. The Mazda software has a fuel economy history screen that comes in handy.

Now I just need to drive more. With the weather improving that’s a given though there is a chance of snow right after Easter.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
Sorry you didn't spill the oil on the driveway and end up spending half a day trying to clean it up. JK

It's called close your garage door:
-it keeps nosy neighbors out/blind
-it keep wind guts where they belong: out
-it keeps neighborhood atmosphere civil when you drop the screw in the hot oil with a splash (mmmmm, delicious?!?!?!?!)
-it keeps neighborhood atmosphere civil when you placed the drain pan 2 inches too much in the back (hooray for degreasers)
-it REALLY motivates you when you just butchered the REALLY over-tighten dealer oil filter with a screwdriver and you need the car Today

Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
On the contrary, my 2005 Mazda Miata was my biggest PITA to change oil. Had to access the filter through the right front wheel well.

My wife drove a Mitsubishi Expo with the 1.8. That engine ran forever but the oil filter was mounted horizontally and right above the a/c compressor which required me to contort my arm in the most unusual way to get at. Making a mess was almost a given.

Originally Posted By: pandus13
Originally Posted By: Reddy45

It's called close your garage door:
-it keeps nosy neighbors out/blind
-it keep wind guts where they belong: out
-it keeps neighborhood atmosphere civil when you drop the screw in the hot oil with a splash (mmmmm, delicious?!?!?!?!)
-it keeps neighborhood atmosphere civil when you placed the drain pan 2 inches too much in the back (hooray for degreasers)
-it REALLY motivates you when you just butchered the REALLY over-tighten dealer oil filter with a screwdriver and you need the car Today

I wish I had a garage but we have a carport. I live in a senior community so not only am I exposed but I attract a audience as well. Luckily the neighbors are pretty good folks, many of them veterans.

In our old house I had a large detached garage with a wood stove. We lived out in the sticks and it was really nice to fire up that stove to make the garage comfortable when working inside.

Last edited:
Surprisingly our 2017 2.3 EcoBoost Explorer is the easiest vehicle in over 45 years for changing oil. There is no under pan engine cover and the oil filter is right up front and super easy to access as well as the oil drain plug. Compared to both the 4.6 Explorer and F-150 as well as the 1996 Zetec Contour the 2017 Explorer is a piece of cake for doing an oil change.

Whimsey

Originally Posted By: Whimsey
Surprisingly our 2017 2.3 EcoBoost Explorer is the easiest vehicle in over 45 years for changing oil. There is no under pan engine cover and the oil filter is right up front and super easy to access as well as the oil drain plug. Compared to both the 4.6 Explorer and F-150 as well as the 1996 Zetec Contour the 2017 Explorer is a piece of cake for doing an oil change.

Whimsey

I’m surprised the Explorer has no undercover or skid plates. I owned a Mitsu Montero Sport that had two metal skid plates that had to come off for the oil change. Lots of small bolts too. Once the plates were off though the rest was very easy.

This is good news - there will quite possibly be a CX-5 in my future.

Our '97 MPV has a plastic tray underneath which is attached with 10 bolts. GRRRR! I keep them anti-seized so they don't rust in. Glad to hear the CX-5 is easier.

Does the CX-5 use a cartridge filter?

Is the drainplug removed w/ an Allen (hex) key? If so, that's probably to limit the tightening torque.

Easiest change I have is the on the 2005 Tacoma V6. No shrouds, no jack required to remove the drain plug. Punch a hole in top of the oil filter to drain it, then remove it from the top front of the engine without spilling a drop.

Originally Posted By: Number_35
This is good news - there will quite possibly be a CX-5 in my future.

Our '97 MPV has a plastic tray underneath which is attached with 10 bolts. GRRRR! I keep them anti-seized so they don't rust in. Glad to hear the CX-5 is easier.

Does the CX-5 use a cartridge filter?

Is the drainplug removed w/ an Allen (hex) key? If so, that's probably to limit the tightening torque.

The drain plug takes a 8mm hex. I used this one.

TEKTON 1376 3/8-Inch Drive by 6 mm Hex Bit Socket, Cr-V https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000NY4SGK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_3byVAbV9EH6HK

EDIT: Oops, I just noticed the link is for a 6mm. The size needed is 8mm.

It uses a spin on oil filter and a small one at that. I’ll bet it held not much more than a half cup of oil just by looking at it.

Last edited:
First oil changes on my previous nissan versa and toyota corolla were an absolute PITA. Everything was tightened from the factory by Hercules himself! Even though both of those oil changes were almost 10 years ago, I still remember them very well!

At 110K's worth of 5K OCI's I've got my Cruze down to almost reflex. No belly pan, topside cartridge filter that drains fairly well before removal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back