Elusive Honda Transmission filter C+P

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps one has been posted before, but I haven't seen it on here. This is a few photos of the Honda 25430-PLR-003 transmission filter. It's from a CR-V with about 140K and was extremely hard to cut open due to the heavy steel. It had a pretty light relief valve spring, so I doubt it would ever starve the oil by going into full time bypass. Quite a bit of black grit caught in the media as you can see. I'm glad I replaced it with another.
Cheers

Thanks, all the Honda's in my signature use that Transmission filter.

Have seen people comment it should be replaced or no need for it since if ATF has been done every 30K, it should not go bad.

Do you see any improvement after replacing it? Did you buy OEM one from dealer?

I might replace them this summer. Thanks for the C&P.

Originally Posted By: maverickfhs

Have seen people comment it should be replaced or no need for it since if ATF has been done every 30K, it should not go bad.

No problem!

It is a factory filter made in Japan, but I ordered mine from Majestic Honda which has a good online parts diagram ordering system.

When I bought my CR-V used, it had questionable transmission servicing so I did multiple flushes with Maxlife LV ATF and replaced the filter for good measure. Other than my transmission is still working 30K later I have nothing to report. It does well on the maxlife LV, but I may go back to the honda fluid.

It was really easy to replace for me also being by the bottom of the radiator, some Hondas hide them up top.

Originally Posted By: mightymousetech
We see plugged OE filters quite often. The first sign is normally a gurgling noise at idle when started cold.

Is there impact on drive-ability? Also, how often should this be replaced? 100K or 60K ?

P.S: Are plugged filters caused because of no maintenance on ATF side?

We see plugged OE filters quite often. The first sign is normally a gurgling noise at idle when started cold.

Is there impact on drive-ability? Also, how often should this be replaced? 100K or 60K ?

Have never seen driveability issues from it. Honda says they never require replacement. We only replace them if they make noise.

Originally Posted By: SOHCman

No problem!

It is a factory filter made in Japan, but I ordered mine from Majestic Honda which has a good online parts diagram ordering system.

When I bought my CR-V used, it had questionable transmission servicing so I did multiple flushes with Maxlife LV ATF and replaced the filter for good measure. Other than my transmission is still working 30K later I have nothing to report. It does well on the maxlife LV, but I may go back to the honda fluid.

It was really easy to replace for me also being by the bottom of the radiator, some Hondas hide them up top.

Thanks again, is media made of paper or metal mesh or something else?

Originally Posted By: SOHCman

No problem!

Thanks again, is media made of paper or metal mesh or something else?

It appeared to be normal paper (cellulose?) media, a nice metal core and sturdy but weakly sprung bypass valve.

I replaced the same filter on my Element at about 180k just to be safe. I think it cost me $18. Thanks for the dissection picture!

P.S: Are plugged filters caused because of no maintenance on ATF side?

If your clutches plural lost enough material it could plug up the media for sure, but based on the relief valve it would never stop flow.

To be clear I would never WANT it to get so dirty that it was just bypassing, that's why I changed it at 140K and I might again at 300K
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
I changed mine a few years ago around 100k miles on my accord and posted a thread/pics.

I recall the filter looking brand new inside.

I bet you changed the fluid once or twice before 100k though
smile.gif

After seeing this topic, I checked if my Acura (K20Z2) has any external transmission filter. I thought it has an internal filter (I'm kind of A/T noob, still learning) and I was wrong.

It's bolted on the engine block, on the front side, right under the intake manifold. Easy to reach (easier than R18 base Civics) and replace. Better than dropping the pan to get the filter out, I guess. I will change it at 100k miles.

jf7rr5.png

If you have a Civic with R18 engine, you have to take off whole air filter assembly, it is located on the back side, underneath the air filter box.

Thanks for sharing!

Originally Posted By: Linctex
INTERESTING!

Here is a FAKE:

Yup, clearly no bypass valve. good find!

I also replaced the A/T filter on our 07 Fit Sport. It had roughly 160k miles on it and had been recently acquired at the time. We found records indicating it had a "transmission service" at roughly 140k so we had a shop do the cooler line flush method to convert over to Amsoil's ATL "Fuel Efficient" ATF; DW-1 replacement, and it's been great since.

I also figured replacing this filter once couldn't hurt, especially if neglected by the PO.

Now, I'm due for a D&F on the Amsoil fluid; 60k miles in on the completely new fill. Then, it threw a code (P0847), but it's a common 3rd pressure switch issue on these Fit models apparently. Code went away on it's own, but good reason to get any flaky switches replaced so I replaced that one and will any others.

BTW Amsoil has ran great for our Fit. I might get a report done on it for fun, too.
thumbsup2.gif

Thanks for the C&P!
19.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back