How many use a glaze when you detail your car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just curious how many actually apply a glaze as part of their detailing process. The reason I ask is that I received as a gift the Wolfgang Concours kit and some of their other products and one the items I received was their glazing product which is said to be applied after you polish and before sealant and wax as it adds depth to the shine.

Back in the 60s Mirror Glaze was big,,,now at 72, car wash, no detailing,,,one ride down a dirt road or an 18 wheeler in the rain,,,its over...

Around 15 years ago a lot of us only had whatever Meguiars was willing to distribute to our local PBE shops, so Meguiars #7 was common to find in most peoples' arsenal of products.

I used #7 as the step between polishing and waxing, but could never get a good look and it just wouldn't buff out.

I later learned that some guys would use it to TOP wax before a car show. Since it's so oily, it works better in that capacity and it helps to temporarily fill in swirls under those show lights.

Glaze has a place, but I detail/wax for protection rather than appearance nowadays..

I tried it once on my previous Challenger (Toxic Orange) and couldn't see a benefit. It just seemed to be an extra step that only prolonged the whole polish/wax phase of a weekend detail. I have not used it since.

I may be misremembering this, but it seems like I read somewhere that the non-polish/non-wax glaze product was useful for single stage paints, but it has no use on today's modern clear coat paint jobs.

For 2-stage paints / modern clearcoat, I have found that applying a glaze is an exercise in extremely diminishing returns. You're better off doing a proper prep, polish thoroughly to make the paint as shiny as possible, and then applying your sealant/wax. For 1-stage paints, the glaze has a definite benefit, but clearcoats tend to get in the way of the glaze.

Just remember - the pop is in the prep.

After I wax I always use a glaze. It helps me get my energy back
picHIZq6m.jpg

Last edited:
I use sunflower oil and aluminium foil.

Like anything else, it can be overdone, but doing it infrequently keeps the returns acceptably high.

Sounds like most feel this is just an unnecessary step with few added benefits. I think I will just put the bottle to the side and if someday I have time to play with it then I can consider using it.

Originally Posted By: gofast182
I feel like glaze is kind of passe with such good sealants and hybrid wax/sealants out there nowadays.

There is that. Won't need anymore once I get the car Opticoated.

Originally Posted By: mctmatt
which is said to be applied after you polish and before sealant and wax as it adds depth to the shine.

I've used some glaze from Poorboys. They have one for lighter colors which is called White Diamond and one for darker colors which is Black Hole.

You can also skip the polish step and use the glaze instead. Then top with a sealant to not only protect the paint but to lock in the nice look of the glaze. Polishing can reduce the thickness of the protective clear coat. Which is only as thick as a human hair. So skip the polish and use the glaze/sealant combo. It gets great reviews also. New paints jobs are very expensive.

https://www.autogeek.net/poorboys-black-hole-show-glaze.html

You dont need glaze nowadays. Wash. Clay, rinse, polish, remove polishing oils with IPA or AIO product (cleaner wax) then a compatable top coat. You dont want anything under the topcoat (protectant) that would cause it not to bond. Manf glazes are full of oil that will reduce the wax lifetime instead of increasing it.

Glaze nae is used for multiple types of products. One glaze (meg#7) is done after polishing and applied by hand. It is full of oils that will fill and polishing holigrams left after buffing. Makes black and dark blues deep looking. klasse sealant glaze is actually a protectant that give klasse its long life. aio by itself is like regular wax but aio + sg is a good 6 to 8 month wax.

Some companies offer speed glaze that has some fine polishes in it. For use with rotory tools. No conformity.

Id skip it or try it on half a hood and see if it makes a difference 1 week after application.

Originally Posted By: 2010Civic
A glaze is used to cover up scratches/swirls. If you properly polish the paint a glaze is not necessary.

True, but on a daily driver that gets used and abused, there's only a set amount of times you can polish out your paint. I'll use a proper glaze and sealant everytime on the daily's. Topped with a sealant and proper washing it will look good for over 6 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back