Are MK Kashiyama brake pads/shoes any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am looking for brake shoes for the 89th gen Civic DX/LX rear drums that cost less than the dealer and are not Chinese. All the name brand aftermarket drum shoes are Chinese. Akebono doesn't even make aftermarket shoes at all. No Beck/Arnley 089-series OE shoes, either.

The only US-made option seems to be the OEM Honda shoes from the dealer (made by NBK), which cost at least $70 for the set of four. And why do dealers sell shoes individually?
mad.gif

But then I came across this brand called MK Kashiyama on eBay. They seem to be made in Japan, and they are a real company. They are about half the cost of the dealer, and twice as much as the Chinese aftermarket pads.

The drums used would be Wagner's E-coated drums. (All the aftermarket drums are Chinese, just like disc brake rotors are) EBC doesn't make any drums or shoes.

So, does anybody have experience with the MK shoes?

Looks like they have a partnership with MAT Holdings - makers of Roulunds/Dan-Block, Bendix, Duralast/BrakeBest/Wearever pads and shoes. However, they aren't made in the Roulunds plants in China or India. http://www.mkg.co.jp/global/en/company/corporate-history.html

I don't know enough about them, but looks like they have plants in Japan, Malaysia, Indonesia and Thailand. Sounds like YMMV. My general experience with Japanese aftermarket parts is they work better than American/Chinese aftermarket but not as good as OEM.

Last edited:
O'Reilly should carry Import Direct for your car - how much will those cost you? They should be made in Japan and an OE equivalent quality alternative to the generic stuff, and not much more expensive.

I never heard of them but the drums don't provide as much of the braking force as the front so I wouldn't be too concerned about ratings and higher performance as much as noise, some shoes squeal like crazy.
For that reason I would probably go with OE shoes and drums, a lot of aftermarket drums are out of round and cause vibration. Sure the OE cost more but its done once and quickly forgotten.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back