Valvoline Premium Blue CK-4?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone used this yet (15W40 flavor) in their PSD?

I bought a case at Rural King on sale very cheap and figured I'd give it a go in my 05 PSD with the 6.0h. I have been using Rotella T4 10W30 and the truck seemed to like it especially when I lived in WV and had to start it during the winter but now that I'm in Central Florida and the wife hauls the horses pretty often I figured the 15W40 would offer a little extra viscosity during the hot months and we all know how bad the HEUI system beats up oil anyway.

I mean, its good enough to be the "only one" for Cummins so it has to be good, right!

Ford decided to create a new oil specification for every PSD engine. Does this meet the “WSS-M2C171-F1” oil specification? Ford wants people to use this instead of basic CK-4 oils. I think they accept CJ-4 oils.

I'm confused with their spec sheet, I've looked and it shows only "Valvoline Heavy Duty 15W40" as approved. I'm not sure if this is the Premium Blue or another flavor? [censored] Ford has to make it all so difficult.

I don't envy you. I've got a 7.3, so my selection is pretty easy. Although, I was under the impression the newer Ford spec was mostly just for the newest PSD and not the older ones like the 7.3 and 6.0?

Originally Posted By: 28oz
I don't envy you. I've got a 7.3, so my selection is pretty easy. Although, I was under the impression the newer Ford spec was mostly just for the newest PSD and not the older ones like the 7.3 and 6.0?

I think you're right, it mainly effects the picky 6.7 but our HEUI systems on the 7.3 and 6.0 is pretty [censored] hard on oil too so I wanna be sure I'm using GOOD oil all the time, us 6.0 owners have enough issues to worry about!

Originally Posted By: racin4ds
Originally Posted By: 28oz

I think you're right, it mainly effects the picky 6.7 but our HEUI systems on the 7.3 and 6.0 is pretty [censored] hard on oil too so I wanna be sure I'm using GOOD oil all the time, us 6.0 owners have enough issues to worry about!

If it helps, here's a UOA from my 7.3 using Mobil 1300 conventional 15W-40 in the new CK-4 formulation. This run included over a 1,000 miles pulling a 26ft camper through mountains and around Yellowstone.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ub...300#Post4510166

It was dumped a bit early at 3,000 miles, but the truck was new to me and I wanted to establish a baseline.

Originally Posted By: userfriendly
Originally Posted By: dnewton3
"-over maintaining something has never been proven to be anything but a waste of time and money"

Proven, or evidence suggests?

Sure!

Start here:
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/used-oil-analysis-how-to-decide-what-is-normal/
Proves conclusively that frequent OCIs do not lower wear rates, and if done ultra-frequently, can reveal a slight escalation in wear (although not detrimental in my assessment). TONS of data from thousands of UOAs show that the practice of "over changing" oil does nothing whatsoever to reduce wear rates.

Also, overly frequent FCIs in air filters can be certainly detrimental; see SAE paper #952557 "Total Filtration: The influence of Filter Selection on Engine Wear, Emissions, and Performance":
https://www.sae.org/publications/technical-papers/content/952557/
"Too Frequent air filter change intervals can double engine wear rate, especially if changed within the first 30% of the filter's life."

Backed up by this; from our member Jim Allen's article in Trailer Life magazine, regarding his visits to Fram and Parker/Racor
http://www.trailerlife.com/tech/diy/the-truth-about-engine-air-filtration/
" ... This is why early or overly frequent filter changes are not advised because, according to Wake, 90 percent of the lifetime amount of dirt that passes through a filter does so in the first 10 percent of use."

So ...
- changing oil too often will not reduce wear, and certainly costs more money; hence - a waste
- changing air filters too often will not reduce wear and actually can significantly increase wear; hence a detrimental effect to the equipment

I stand by what I stated.

Their specs are stupid. I just but t6 rotella ck4 since it's on their approved list. The jug doesn't show it's approved but I read multiple articles saying it's meets Ford's f1 specs.

Actually the spec covers every PowerStroke but (IMO) should really apply to the 6.4 .
The diesel and Ford chats are full of issues with rocker tip problems in the 6.4. And this was pretty common before the intro of CK oils.
CJ-4 is fine in any 6.7 and there are plenty of options in CJ-4 as well as CK oils on the approved list. But I think we all have come to consensus that Ford is wacked out with this ridiculous requirement. Every other major, and HD OTR engines are fine on CK oils, so if Fords are failing, it's their problem, not the oil.
To the OP, VPB is fine, but the VPB 10w30 syn blend does VERY WELL in the 6.ohno even when towing in summer. That oil is hard to beat and is available lots of places.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: beanoil
Actually the spec covers every PowerStroke but (IMO) should really apply to the 6.4 .
The diesel and Ford chats are full of issues with rocker tip problems in the 6.4. And this was pretty common before the intro of CK oils.
CJ-4 is fine in any 6.7 and there are plenty of options in CJ-4 as well as CK oils on the approved list. But I think we all have come to consensus that Ford is wacked out with this ridiculous requirement. Every other major, and HD OTR engines are fine on CK oils, so if Fords are failing, it's their problem, not the oil.
To the OP, VPB is fine, but the VPB 10w30 syn blend does VERY WELL in the 6.ohno even when towing in summer. That oil is hard to beat and is available lots of places.

Excellent points Bean, I have yet to find the 10W30 variety of VPB around here. I'll certainly look for it next OCI. No Complaints yet with the 15W40 in there. Oil temps are spot on and fuel economy isn't really monitored in this truck since its a pig anyway and gets used so sporadically.

Originally Posted By: racin4ds
Originally Posted By: beanoil

Excellent points Bean, I have yet to find the 10W30 variety of VPB around here. I'll certainly look for it next OCI. No Complaints yet with the 15W40 in there. Oil temps are spot on and fuel economy isn't really monitored in this truck since its a pig anyway and gets used so sporadically.

I’ve see the VPB synthetic blend 10w30 at Menards if you have one near your location.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back