2013 Ford C-Max Energi M1EP 18,904 Miles on oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Html:

OIL Mobil 1 Extended Performance 0W-20

TOP-OFF OIL .5 quart total (used about 6-8 ounces every 7500 miles)

FILTER Fram Ultra XG3614

SUMP CAPACTIY 4.5 QT

MILES IN USE 18.9K

MILES 38.9K

SAMPLE TAKEN 07/30/2017

LAB: Oil Analyzers Inc.

Wear Metals (ppm):

ALUMINUM 8

CHROMIUM 0

IRON 33

COPPER 10

LEAD 0

TIN 0

CADMIUM 0

SILVER 0

VANADIUM 0

NICKEL 0

Contaminant Metals (ppm):

SILICON 13

SODIUM 64

POTASSIUM 0

Multi-Source Metals (ppm):

TITANIUM 0

MOLYBDENUM 68

ANTIMONY 0

MANGANESE 2

LITHIUM 0

BORON 45

Additive Metals (ppm):

CALCIUM 1192

MAGNESIUM 544

PHOSPHORUS 536

ZINC 665

BARIUM 0

Contaminants:

FUEL DILUTION
SOOT
WATER

Fluid Properties:

cSt @ 100 C 8.3

TBN 3.33

OXIDATION 22 abs/cm

NITRATION 16 abs/0.1mm

For those that are unaware, this is a plug-in hybrid. I charge it up nightly and it gets 12-20 miles on a charge depending on the season. My estimate is that during this interval, the internal combustion engine powered the vehicle for about 10-11K miles. Also, given that this is a hybrid, the engine experiences quite a few start-stop cycles in the Northern Virginia traffic. Average mileage was 53.6 MPG.

OEM recommended OIC interval on synthetic blended oil is 20K/2 years for this vehicle. Within 5 miles of this oil change a fuel injector failed which caused an extremely rough start-up and misfiring. I did not want it to throw my numbers off so I changed the oil early.

Last edited:
Kinda hard to judge these hybrids since a good chunk of the miles are electric. Still awesome to see. Thanks.

Looks like you changed it at a good time.

EP 0w20 is a good choice. Don't think I'd like to run a semi syn.

What is the OLM doing? … no way my (Non Energi) Fusion Hybrid lets me go any longer than my ICE cars …

Always figured Ford’s algorithm took tough duty starts into account …

Originally Posted By: Artem
Kinda hard to judge these hybrids since a good chunk of the miles are electric. Still awesome to see. Thanks.

Good point. Do you have a way to calculate/deduct miles running electric?

Is this the 2.0L hybrid? Ford specs 0w-20 synthetic blend for this engine at 20K for the plug ins and 10k for the hybrids. Everything I've seen shows these being really easy on oil. Crazy to me because of the stopping and starting. I have 4k on my new hybrid.

4WD, the OLM on this car is not the best because it just give you a warning when you have about 500 miles remaining on the interval and then when an oil change is required. I prefer Ford's previous iteration which gave a percentage of oil life remaining. To test how long of an interval the computer was calculating I reset the OLM at the beginning of this interval and then DIDN'T reset it after I changed the oil (because it was an early change). In the end, the OLM started indicating to change my oil "soon" at 23,462 miles which puts the overall calculated interval at just shy of 24K miles. Based on this UOA, I am not sure if I'd push for a 24K OCI and I will likely NOT be relying on the OLM for my oil change intervals.

Leakyseals, Yes I do have a way to deduct the number of electric miles but unfortunately because my gauge-cluster failed during this OCI and when the dealer replaced it, my trip odometers were reset and I lost my data. Additionally, something failed within the 12V charging system which caused my battery to fail at during this interval which caused me to lose my trip odometers again, but at least I got a fresh battery out of it. (For those keeping track, that means that during an suspension/window/door components that also had to be replaced during this interval...this will be my last Ford.)

Unearthed, Yes, this is a 2.0L Plug-in Hybrid which is spec'd for a 20K OCI on syn blend. I have enough M1EP to keep this thing going for another 100K miles with 20K intervals so I am probably just going to stick to that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back