how often do you encounter resort fees in your

Status
Not open for further replies.
travels?

i used to go to Vegas a least once a year. a few years ago they instituted resort fees. in the nicer hotels its close to $50 a day. i am not too well traveled, but am curious how prevalent they are.

so where have you encountered the "resort fee" ?

Almost all the Vegas hotels have a resort fee now, even the ones off the strip that are nothing I would call a resort.

Last edited by a moderator:
The reason for the "resort Fee" is simply to keep the room rate down on the various travel sites when you sort by "price". So the room may be listed at (for example) $50.00 bucks but a resort fee of another $25.00. But on the "travel site" the room rate will show up as $50.00.

They are also common in south Florida beach hotels.

And pretty much in any tourist hot spot, including some Caribbean resorts.

The problem is people are willing to pay them, so the hotels have no incentive to NOT charge.

Vegas strip properties charge for SELF parking now too ($10-20 per night).

Well I have to pay a booking fee for a campground to reserve america. Does that count?

Although I might do a bit of wilderness camping this summer. No fees there!

I don't know how it is in the USA, but in the UK you have to pay a !booking fee" if you order tickets for a concert. This is unavoidable, but not mentioned in the ticket price advertising. There is a group of lawyers lobbying Parliament to force vendors to display the full cost of obtaining a ticket. By the current practice you might advertise tickets at 1c, then when customers call to book, add on a £149.50 booking fee.

Claud.

The hotels will have different fees so that they can show a lower room rates on booking websites. The fees and taxes, in my experience, can be as high as 50% of the room rate.

Slightly off topic...

I recently (unknowingly) paid an entertainment fee with each beer I ordered during the course of a meal because the restaurant had televisions with the basketball tournaments on.

Yep, never going there again. Notice I said restaurant, not a bar, didn't sit at a bar (they didn't even have one), sat at a darn table with my family.

Originally Posted By: CKN
The reason for the "resort Fee" is simply to keep the room rate down on the various travel sites when you sort by "price". So the room may be listed at (for example) $50.00 bucks but a resort fee of another $25.00. But on the "travel site" the room rate will show up as $50.00.

This.

I work at a resort that charges this fee. I do agree it is getting out of hand with all the extra charges, but they do cover stuff that (at least this hotel) could otherwise be charged on a per use basis, which people don't like either. Ours covers: shopping shuttle, 24 hr spa/fitness center access, bicycle usage, free wifi, live entertainment every night and a couple other things. I do see some heated "discussions" at the front desk about this. I wish all the major hoteliers would agree to just say all these things were "free" and just put it in the room rate thereby avoiding the issue.

I am in Las Vegas currently at the Cosmopolitan. $35/ day resort fee plus $10/day for parking.

Last edited:
I remember staying at the Mirage during the 90’s. No such fees and they gave free passes to things like their Siegfried and Roy Secret Garden plus a discount for their buffet. Free parking as well. We enjoyed ourselves immensely. I’m not sure if the same experience would be had with all these tack on fees and add-ons. It would start the stay on a sour note if you weren’t aware.

Originally Posted By: Claud
I don't know how it is in the USA, but in the UK you have to pay a !booking fee" if you order tickets for a concert. This is unavoidable, but not mentioned in the ticket price advertising. There is a group of lawyers lobbying Parliament to force vendors to display the full cost of obtaining a ticket. By the current practice you might advertise tickets at 1c, then when customers call to book, add on a £149.50 booking fee.

Claud.

In the US, concerts are different and has its own quirks as its basically under the monopoly of ticketmaster.

However the "booking fees" ticket master collects are colluded with the artist and ticketmaster so the artist can seem like the "good guy" for their fans and ticketmaster can be the bad guy.

These have become pretty common even with properties that can't be described as resorts.
These are basically junk fees that became common with banks and then airlines.
If you actually call the place you'll be staying at to book, you can usually negotiate them away just as you can with your local bank branch.
This won't work with most airlines in this country, although we have gotten earlier return flights where seats were available without any fees and we have had higher fares on such flights waived.
As always, nice works better than demanding.

What little travel I've done lately (I haven't had an actual "vacation" since 2011) has been work-related so I haven't paid attention. Corporate travel dictates where I stay and I haven't had any bills come back with questions.

Originally Posted By: RhondaHonda
I am in Las Vegas currently at the Cosmopolitan. $35/ day resort fee plus $10/day for parking.

They charge for parking by the day? That would be a deal breaker for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back