2019 Hyundai Tucson. First look.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Busy day at the NYAS. Hyundai has refreshed the Tucson with a new interior but the biggest surprise is that the 1.6 TGDI Engine is no more and the 7 speed DSG is gone as well, replaced by a six speed.

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/hyundai/tucson/2019/2019-hyundai-tucson-first-look-review/

I guess these topics are supposed to be in Vehicles instead of Automotive News. As for all these crossovers, they are starting to look even more alike than before. The interiors are starting to look like they came out of the same factory.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
Interesting that they got rid of the turbo option.

Yes because they hung their hat on the Gamma engine as the engine of the future. I guess it all depends on how far into the future they were looking. Getting rid of the dsg transmission is a plus though as newer automatics have improved.

Shame that the 1.6 turbo is gone but nobody will miss the 7 speed trans, It was a POS!!!

The 1.6T had plenty of power, it's too bad they got rid of it. Sounds like they're just putting the Sonata powertrain in it. Might not have enough power to scoot it around all that well.

The Tucson had plenty of room and was a cool car, but the front seats were small and uncomfortable. Hopefully this new one has better seats.

Somebody at Hyundai got smart. Good riddance to the underpowered 1.6T! Good riddance to the Dual Clutch Transmission! FoMoCo, take notice! Your 1.5T offering in the Escape SE and Escape SEL are pitiful. If Honda can get 190 hp out of their 1.5T so can you.

Thanks PimTac

Granted this info is from the Hyundai forums but, the 1.6T + DCT combo was not the most reliable. I've always found DCT "behavior" to be lost on the general, non-enthusiast public. They always feel something's wrong eith their "A/T".

Going the conventional route may bring them more in line with the targeted demographic.

Why bother when you can have the 2.0 CRDI 185 BHP 400Nm...

Ohh wait...

Nevermind
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Andy636
Why bother when you can have the 2.0 CRDI 185 BHP 400Nm...

Ohh wait...

Nevermind
grin.gif

Cute...

The CRDI is coming.

Man,anymore I cant tell if a vehicle is a good buy or run for the hills!
crackmeup2.gif

I'm trying to decide if I want a Ford Edge,Tucson,or Mazda CX-5,I'm no closer now then I was last year because of all the back and forth issues with everything I'm looking at.
crazy2.gif

Originally Posted By: wemay
Thanks PimTac

Granted this info is from the Hyundai forums but, the 1.6T + DCT combo was not the most reliable. I've always found DCT "behavior" to be lost on the general, non-enthusiast public. They always feel something's wrong eith their "A/T".

Going the conventional route may bring them more in line with the targeted demographic.

Yeah sounds like their trying to protect there 10 years warranty by not having to do warranty repairs on the dct in the future.

Suprised they didnt pair their 1.6t with their new 8 speed since its already in the sonata. If they were worried about the public feel with dual clutches they coulda have added a torque convertor to the dct like honda did with the ilx, but then again complexity.

Originally Posted By: RazorsEdge
Man,anymore I cant tell if a vehicle is a good buy or run for the hills!
crackmeup2.gif

I'm trying to decide if I want a Ford Edge,Tucson,or Mazda CX-5,I'm no closer now then I was last year because of all the back and forth issues with everything I'm looking at.
crazy2.gif

All excellent choices. It just might be worth it to stay away from the 1.5 or 1.6 turbo variants, your call. If the Tucson is high on the list, i'd have no issue with the 2.0L/conventional automatic or the upcoming 2.4L/conventional automatic.

We test drove a 2018 Tucson AWD with the 1.6T last week and we liked it. I thought the front seats were fine and the trans shifted OK. Power was decent (the wife and I aren't exactly hooligans at our age). The Tucson was one we were considering buying but we found a great deal on a Chevy instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back