Front windshield replacement: shop or mobile

Status
Not open for further replies.
Depends which shop you bring it to... Couldnt the chip be fixed or you plan to swap complete windshield? Some shops (I know my dealer actually hires a mobile guy to come and replace the windshield in the dealer parking lot.. dealer makes nice commission on it. They pay mobile guy and charge extra for their cut. Personally id rather fix the OEM if its possible rather than go with new glass. I dont think the quality will be the same.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Depends which shop you bring it to... Couldnt the chip be fixed or you plan to swap complete windshield? Some shops (I know my dealer actually hires a mobile guy to come and replace the windshield in the dealer parking lot.. dealer makes nice commission on it. They pay mobile guy and charge extra for their cut. Personally id rather fix the OEM if its possible rather than go with new glass. I dont think the quality will be the same.

i have not seen it ,but the pix my kid sent me it looks like about a half dollar size with cracks radiating from the center. and it almost right in front of the driver.

Windshield damage is rampant in Arizona.. so I've gone through quite a few windshield replacements. My insurance is USAA, and they own (or at least have stake in) Safelite Insurance, so I only go through them now. Whenever I've set up a replacement with them, I always request OEM glass if it is possible, and many times, they ended up using OEM at no extra cost. Even when they have not used OEM, they have clearly stated that all installed windshield glass must meet OEM quality requirements, as per their policy, and I have not been disappointed.

To top it off, Safelite is a mobile replacement company, and they're just about everywhere. Give them a try.

Originally Posted By: SirTanon
Windshield damage is rampant in Arizona.. so I've gone through quite a few windshield replacements. My insurance is USAA, and they own (or at least have stake in) Safelite Insurance, so I only go through them now. Whenever I've set up a replacement with them, I always request OEM glass if it is possible, and many times, they ended up using OEM at no extra cost. Even when they have not used OEM, they have clearly stated that all installed windshield glass must meet OEM quality requirements, as per their policy, and I have not been disappointed.

To top it off, Safelite is a mobile replacement company, and they're just about everywhere. Give them a try.

Safelite/Belron also operate the biggest glass claims administrator besides LKQ/PGW(Lynx) - and I know AAA NorCal does use Safelite as their glass shop of choice. Most insurance companies will have Safelite process the glass claim or handle it from claim to replacement.

I've stayed away from Safelite when I needed a windshield as they had a bad rap with installation and glass quality - but they don't make their own glass anymore. I had Safelite replace my parent's windshield and the guy that came out told me a few things about the business. They also installed a Pilkington as well, well I do admit the installer had me help out.

If you have the space for the installer to work either by pulling up to your car and using a Lil' Buddy jig to make it a one-person job or the old school way, have them come out. Crack your windows open(so the cabin doesn't hold pressure) and let the installer do their thing but watch them. There are too many hack jobs in AGR that use universal moldings, carelessly use a long knive, don't follow the urethane system instructions or don't take the time to take off the wipers/cowl/trim. Safelite uses a Sika urethane with a 1-hour safe drive away time, which means the time needed for the urethane to set to meet DOT strength requirements to ensure the windshield doesn't fly out of its open if the airbags deploy. Better glass installers use Dow or Sika's better urethanes. The less the car moves while the urethane kicks, the better.

Last edited:
Most places won't repair if the damage is bigger than a dollar bill, IIRC. I took my vehicles into Safelite, had them repaired in their shop. Took less than an hour and I'm completely satisfied. I doubt you'd have issues with mobile replacement unless they're doing it in a rain or dust storm. I should note that Safelite was cheaper than all others I contacted in the area by at least $20. I saved an additional $40 by bringing in two vehicles to their shop at once, rather than have them come out. This was out of pocket, not an insurance claim. Our van got Pilkington, and my '85 F250 got a brand I don't recognize; I didn't request a certain brand. Both have held up fine for over a year now.

I had my BMW dealer replace the windshield when a rock cracked the one in my M235i; my dealer does the work in-house and they did an excellent job. Safeco tried to steer me to Safelite but I went with the dealer and the entire cost of replacement was picked up by Safeco. Some private shops are fine, but when I worked at BMW I saw more than a few cars that were having issues with rain sensing wipers, HUDs, and the Helen Keller "driver" aids after an aftermarket windshield was installed.

Call me old fashioned, stubborn, or whatever you wish, but I prefer the idea of taking it to a shop. It's a more controlled environment and (hopefully) if the technician needs a helping hand, there is someone there to assist. I would like to imagine that working in a shop is a bit more relaxed atmosphere than traveling around in a van. If problems occur, it seems that it could be addressed better in a shop. I drop it off and tell them to take their time and that I prefer that it sits a few hours before it gets exposed to our pot holed roads.

Just my preference. I'm sure that mobile installs are excellent also.

Took Safelite three tries and three windshields to get our Honda windshield replaced due to shoddy workmanship. I will avoid Safelite.

Years ago, I had a 2009 Genesis that need the windshield replaced. I wanted the OEM., not an aftermarket windshield. Made a deal with my Hyundai dealer. Dealer ordered an OEM replacement that arrived in a big factory box marked HYUNDAI. Dealer had his replacement guy come in and changed it. I paid the difference between what my insurance would pay and the actual cost.

Fine with me as I wanted the OEM.

On my 05 Durango I had Safelite come and do it. They did a good job but the Safelite brand glass was [censored]. It was wavy. On my Grand Cherokee I took it to a highly rated local shop and they installed a Pilkington windshield that was perfect.

Take it to a shop, but the key is to leave it there afterwards when they're done so the glue has time to cure. Had mine done in the winter. It squeaks. Gotta take it back and have them redo it, waiting for warmer weather. They email you the receipt and knew I was driving off and didn't say anything. On the receipt it says you should let the car sit for at least an hour afterwards so that the glue can cure. I would think inside a shop you'd less likely to have things like sand or whatever blowing in the wind.

I have no charge replacement with Safeco and they always give me a choice of who I want to use. There are 2 shops that are an hr away but do mobile replacement. I have them come to me and they can work in my garage. No problems in many windshields.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back