M1 0W20, 9,500 miles, 2014 Mazda 6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Despite Blackstone’s comments, looking at viscosity there may be quite a bit of fuel in this sample. This could explain the relatively high iron/1,000 miles. If it were my car, I’d cut the OCI to 5,000 miles to see if it made a difference.

Originally Posted By: Danh
Despite Blackstone’s comments, looking at viscosity there may be quite a bit of fuel in this sample. This could explain the relatively high iron/1,000 miles. If it were my car, I’d cut the OCI to 5,000 miles to see if it made a difference.

Agreed. Mazda says 7,500 miles max in the US under ideal conditions. Why go further?

Don’t they use salt on the roads in Iowa? That falls under severe according to Mazda. Is this EP or AFE?

A fair bit of fuel, as others have said. Long run, but the oil held up well. I would expect iron to trend down a bit as mileage accrues.

I don't know why does Blackstone keeps comments section in their reports - they are 100% useless. My wife's would make more relevant comments on this report.

Originally Posted By: LotI
Originally Posted By: Danh

Agreed. Mazda says 7,500 miles max in the US under ideal conditions. Why go further?

Don’t they use salt on the roads in Iowa? That falls under severe according to Mazda. Is this EP or AFE?

I would change it sooner also, without the 5w30 you added, your viscosity would have been even lower.jmho

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
A fair bit of fuel, as others have said.

I agree, there more fuel in the same oil then this report shows (just look at the flashpoint)

This oil is practically 0w16 at this point. It's amazing the engine seems fine with it.

If it was my car, I'd drop the OCIs a bit, not go higher. What did the oil life monitor show at the time of the sample?

I think thats a bit long of a run considering the cst is only 6.18 @ 100c. Iron is up a touch not bad, but i just would not want to drive with a 6.18 cst oil. I have the similar engine in my 17 cx-5. I'm going to pull a sample at say 2500 on this oil to check fuel dilution.

I wouldn't go to 11,500 miles....
yes, this oil is still "good" in that it isn't anywhere near close to being "completely spent",
but I think it's near the end of it's useful life.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I never like seeing double digits of iron.

Less than 3ppm/1k of iron is hardly the end of the world. You’re trying to say I should cut down my 17k OCIs by half just because it ended up at 18ppm, just so I can keep it under 10? Not gonna happen, no basis in fact to do so.

The acceptable limit for iron 150PPM.

Originally Posted By: tig1

There is something very wrong with an engine to have it hit 150ppm. Get out of here. Highest I’ve seen for gas engines is in the 30s for a long drain BMW applications.

Originally Posted By: 1JZ_E46
Originally Posted By: tig1

There is something very wrong with an engine to have it hit 150ppm. Get out of here. Highest I’ve seen for gas engines is in the 30s for a long drain BMW applications.

Tig1 will use UOAs and "wear metals" to praise M1, then use acceptable limits to reduce the negative impact on one that doesn't show the stellar "wear metals".

Problem is that they are "Used Oil Analysis"...the acceptable limits are the limits at which the lubricant reaches it's condemnation limits and needs to be changed.

UOAs are useful if you decide to use them instead of regular oil changes, and operate the oil testing it every so frequently until the oil is shagged and you need to throw it out and go again.

They are useful if you look at them, find that you are within the acceptable LIMITS, and decide that next time you go longer/shorter.

Take both sides of UOAs with a serious grain of salt (sodium, which can be an additive, or coolant, operation in a marine environment)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back