Nissan/Infiniti VC-Turbo Engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very interesting. Thanks for sharing. They could have done a better job to explain how turbos work better with low compression but otherwise easy to understand. A few exrtra do-dads for your oil to care of.

Looks like more things that can potentially fail. Just give me a two stroke diesel and let me go home.

The turbo looks like it'll provide smoother boost - it looks like a blended dual-scroll design without having to resort to VGT(Honeywell) or VNT(Cummins/Holset), keeps in-house with IHI or Hitachi. Interesting linkage, it does remind me a little bit of Honda's VTEC, but also how ovalized chain rings are now being used on bikes.

I'm thinking Nissan looked at how Saab wanted to make a variable-displacement engine - but wanted to stick to a conventional block without a bellows. The VC mechanism fits in the same space in the crankcase as a balance shaft but given Nissan's proclivity for cost cutting...

It does seem like a lot more components for the engine to fling around. More bearings and friction, but with the elimination of balance shafts it's perhaps not so bad. The turbo definitely adds additional complexity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back