Summer tires vs All-seasons for crossover

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ran some pirelli scorpion winter tires on dedicated wheel this year on the crossover and have been very pleased over using all-seasons in this midwest winter.

The time has come to change to the factory 17" wheels and I need new rubber to replace the shot factory bridgestone duelers that didn't last long.

Should I get All-seasons or real summer tires, and what would you recommend for good milage and good durability for a long commute on mostly rough rural asphalt and gravel roads?

SOHC

I'll be putting a set of Goodyear Assurance WeatherReady tires on the CX-5 next time Discount Tire has a sale. Seems like a promising tire, I'd love to have a set of dedicated winter tires/wheels but I don't have the space for it. Might want to take a look at these.

I don't think a summer tire would have a problem being run on gravel roads often, but its kind of a waste as well. Maybe some of them get into tread chipping problems when run near freezing? My driveway is more like a logging road and I've never chipped my BFG sportcomp2 near freezing but that's only a half mile a day at ~20mph.
If you ran mostly pavement summers would be good as more grip and especially wet grip is always a good thing, but some of the all season tires are getting close in wet grip as well.

It depends on what crossover vehicle you have, your driving style and the other 3 season temps you experience in your area. SUMMER tires can become less than ideal as temps drop below 50°-40° F or even worst the further down the temps drop, especially in the wet. IMO, summer tires are too limited for everyday-ness.

Last edited:
Agree that pure summer tires are likely a waste, especially in the longevity department. Plus, you'll lose flexibility when the weather starts to turn in the fall.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
It depends on what crossover vehicle you have, your driving style and the other 3 season temps you experience in your area. SUMMER tires can become less than ideal as temps drop below 50°-40° F or even worst the further down the temps drop, especially in the wet. IMO, summer tires are too limited for everyday-ness.

Ok, looks like summer tires are out.

It's for a FWD CR-V, Yes, wet traction is important to. I would say out of maybe 100 miles a day, 95% is paved, but it is pretty rough and potholed in places. Sometimes several redline passes a day depending on how many tractors or grain-trucks are using the roads. Regardless, some spirited driving is involved.

Thanks!

SOHC

Redline passes.......those tractor trailer trucks must be doing in excess of 80mph.......

Originally Posted By: CKN
Redline passes.......those tractor trailer trucks must be doing in excess of 80mph.......

It's not for the trucks, it's to safely resume my original lane as quickly as possible to make way for oncoming traffic.

Don't know about you, but I don't make a habit of loitering in the oncoming lane.

Cheers

Michelin Defenders from Discount Tire. Get your alignment checked/tweaked every now and then, rotate them at 6K intervals, and if they don't make it to the promised 90K miles (they probably won't), DT has always been good to me about pro-rating that gets me a new set for 1/2-2/3 of the cost of the first set.

Originally Posted By: MParr
Cooper Discoverer SRX with a H speed rating

+1 Have them on our FWD escape. Excellent tire in the wet and dry. Sturdy sidewall as well.

They also perform very well in snow if you dont get your winter tires on before the first snowfall. In Southwest Ohio we run all seasons year round as we don't get a lot of heavy snow generally.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
225-65-17??

Yes, P225/65R17 in 102T

Originally Posted By: krzyss
Are there any summer tires available in this size?

Krzys

The consensus was that, while summer tires would work since I have winter tires also, they wouldn't be as durable as touring all-seasons or the like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back