M1 High Mileage 10W-30 in LL-01 application

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been looking for a "high mileage" oil that still meets LL-01's 3.5 HTHS minimum, and I think I've found it. Has anyone used Mobil 1 high mileage 10W-30 in their euro gasser? Effect on consumption? I was able to find a recent UOA of it here. Additives look like any LL-01 oil and it has a 3.5 HTHS and a pour point of -39C (consistent with other syn 5W-30s). Full specs:

KV40: 78 (consistent with euro 0W-40s)
KV100: 12.1 (very thick 30! same as EDGE 0W-30)
VI: 149 (little VII)
HTHS: 3.5
PP: -39C (consistent with most A3/B4 5W-30s)
Flash Point: 232C (very high... probably due to little VII)

I'm going to try it this summer unless I hear a horror story.

Last edited:
No way I’m spending $10 a quart for EDGE HM 10W-40. That’s $90 in oil plus a $15 filter. Plus it’s a little thick for my taste.

Of course there is Castrol 0W-40, available at Walmart for about $5 a quart and actually does carry Longlife-01 certification
smile.gif

What do you get from an HM oil that you're specifically looking for?

Originally Posted By: 1JZ_E46
No way I’m spending $10 a quart for EDGE HM 10W-40. That’s $90 in oil plus a $15 filter. Plus it’s a little thick for my taste.

Buy it when it’s on sale.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Of course there is Castrol 0W-40, available at Walmart for about $5 a quart and actually does carry Longlife-01 certification
smile.gif

That's what I'm currently using. It's fantastic oil, but my N62 drinks about a quart of it every 2,500 miles.

Trying to limit consumption through the valve stem seals before I do the job later this year. In other words, trying to save the cats. It smokes pretty bad after 3-4 minutes of idling when hot.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dlundblad

Where at? As a euro-car family, I am rarely, if ever, in an auto parts store to see if sales are going on. I buy all my parts from online stores like FCP Euro, AutohasAZ, and RM European.

That's what I'm currently using. It's fantastic oil, but my N62 drinks about a quart of it every 2,500 miles.

Trying to limit consumption through the valve stem seals before I do the job later this year. In other words, trying to save the cats.

That's a lot of oil. My old M60 leaks some, I tried the 10W-40 HM for a while but it didn't seem to do much TBH. What about trying that one and seeing if it does anything for you?

How are the coolant leaks on that engine? Have you had it leaking from inside the bell housing yet?

That's a lot of oil. My old M60 leaks some, I tried the 10W-40 HM for a while but it didn't seem to do much TBH. What about trying that one and seeing if it does anything for you?

How are the coolant leaks on that engine? Have you had it leaking from inside the bell housing yet?

Yeah. I've seen worse consumption (quart every 1,000) on the X5 forums, but still not ideal.

When I bought the car (80k miles) I did the Bimmerfix coolant pipe stent kit install. It essentially prevents the front coolant pipe seal (behind the water pump in the valley) from leaking by installing a hollow stent with RTV that bridges the interface between the block and coolant pipe. No issues yet to speak of after about 30k miles on it.

I will probably give the 10W-30 a try to see if it helps (will also get UOA to verify wear metals). I'd be happy with 1 quart every 3,500 miles. That's not unheard of for some newer cars. I have an email out to Mobil asking what the NOACK is. I asked a few months ago for the NOACK of their 10W-40 HM, and it was a respectable 7.6%.

Last edited:

Where at? As a euro-car family, I am rarely, if ever, in an auto parts store to see if sales are going on. I buy all my parts from online stores like FCP Euro, AutohasAZ, and RM European.

Just check the AZ and AAP’s ads monthly. AAP carries Mann filters and is typically good about letting one upgrade. Some of the Puro boss filters are also rebadged German Mann filters too btw. If it’s too much effort for you, just use M1. I was just trying to find a solution to your problem.

Oh and there’s Maxlife 15w40 too.

Generally speaking, if you can find a local supplier that gets Euro items through WorldPac rather than Alltrom, you should see similar prices to what you'd get from AutohausAZ. I've bought from AutohausAZ, too, particularly when something wass out of stock on the Canadian side of the WorldPac network.

Just check the AZ and AAP’s ads monthly. AAP carries Mann filters and is typically good about letting one upgrade. Some of the Puro boss filters are also rebadged German Mann filters too btw. If it’s too much effort for you, just use M1. I was just trying to find a solution to your problem.

Oh and there’s Maxlife 15w40 too.

I was able to find their monthly ads online. Looks like EDGE High Mileage is on sale right now. Thank you.

Nothing, in my experience.

I went to Edge HM 10w-40 some time back, hoping to reduce oil seeping through gaskets and reduce consumption. None of that materialized. You might as well stick with Edge 0w-40.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Looks like EDGE High Mileage is on sale right now. Thank you.
Who has it on sale? How much?

I saw it on AZ's online monthly ad "circular." $28.99 for 5 quarts and an oil filter I believe.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
You could always pop in a bottle or two of LM Motor Oil Saver.

Tried that in the recommended ratio. No luck. Currently have AT-205 Re Seal in there and I think it may be helping. That stuff is just expensive.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back