2019 Nissan Altima introduced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
CVT fears are overblown. That Honda, Toyota, Subaru are all joining Nissan is solid evidence that the product is reliable and saves fuel.

The 19 Altima is interesting design, but I concede that the new Camry is slightly ahead in styling. Not rushing to Toyota store...

I'm sure the typical Altima buyer will be ok with it. Nissan Financial will give loans to anyone as long as they can fog a mirror. Those types of buyers couldn't care less about styling. They want something that can get them around and not have to worry about public transportation(taking bus).

We have over 175k miles on our 2010 with the CVT. I'm not a CVT fan due to the rubber band drive sensation. But it's been a rock solid car.

Originally Posted By: KGMtech
CVT fears are overblown. That Honda, Toyota, Subaru are all joining Nissan is solid evidence that the product is reliable and saves fuel.

The 19 Altima is interesting design, but I concede that the new Camry is slightly ahead in styling. Not rushing to Toyota store...

Originally Posted By: KGMtech

Not to be a nattering nabob of negativity here, but Subaru recently extended the transmission warranty on many (maybe all?) CVT-equipped models to 10 years/100kmiles. Not too long after that, I started getting a persistent tranny-related OBDII code along with CELs and found some online stories about a valve body replacement when I googled the code along with Forester.
Sure enough, I went to the dealer and they replaced the CVT valve body...under warranty at close to 80kmiles thanks to the extension.
I suspect pretty strongly now that the wrong CVT fluid was used at my 60kmile service, a special orange high torque fluid is supposed to be used in the Subaru turbos with CVTs and the dealership mentioned that the fluid that came out when the valve body work was done was green (meaning the standard Subaru CVT fluid). They asked to see the car again after I mentioned the color discrepancy and I think they changed the fluid again, but this was not indicated on the paperwork...it's possible that my valve body problem could have been related to the improper fluid, IDK.

Anyway, I think CVTs are here to stay but there might still be some teething issues to work through. I guess I don't have a lot to complain about since my issue was handled at only the cost of some of my time, but I am a bit wary of getting this car to 160kmiles and will probably figure out the CVT fluid change procedure on my own as I don't have a lot of confidence that I will get the proper fluid at a dealer in the future.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
I'm sure the typical Altima buyer will be ok with it. Nissan Financial will give loans to anyone as long as they can fog a mirror. Those types of buyers couldn't care less about styling. They want something that can get them around and not have to worry about public transportation(taking bus).

Nissan is also courting Uber quite hard, nowadays I see as many Altimas and Sentras with Uber placards on the street than Prii. The Altima is the new rental favorite these days, and I'm not surprised if they become used as Ubers after Enterprise/Hertz/Avis Budget Group is done with them.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
IDK, I'm not a typical Nissan buyer, but I kinda like it. What makes one a "typical buyer"?

A credit score under 600 and no $ down! I kid, but Nissan Altimas are used pretty often for subprime car loans.

The styling on this new Altima is pretty bland. I don't know that I could even tell it apart from the current model except for the grill.

[/quote]
A credit score under 600 and no $ down! I kid, but Nissan Altimas are used pretty often for subprime car loans.

The styling on this new Altima is pretty bland. I don't know that I could even tell it apart from the current model except for the grill. [/quote]

Really? I think there is more to it than that, mainly a higher interest rate to go with that lower score. I don’t think Nissan would do that after watching Mitsubishi destroy itself in 2000 with their zero down zero pay scheme.

I hope they decided to design things right side up instead of upside down. Like putting the alternator under the engine, motor mounts dangling on flimsy radiator supports that rot out and the engine drops, and other crazy designs that make maintenance a nightmare.

Originally Posted By: jmsjags
Originally Posted By: KrisZ
IDK, I'm not a typical Nissan buyer, but I kinda like it. What makes one a "typical buyer"?

The styling on this new Altima is pretty bland. I don't know that I could even tell it apart from the current model except for the grill.

Nissans in general are used for subprime leasing. As someone with a >800 credit score, it's quite tempting at times to lease one for $150 a month to keep the miles off of my other vehicles.

But then I remember how hard I am on interiors and decide to not do that.

Originally Posted By: Blkstanger
Wow they sure are going for the ugly look on these new cars. Yuk!

The large mean looking front grille seems to be a common design cue these days. I can't say I love it, but at this point I think I have gotten used to seeing them on cars.

Originally Posted By: Miller88

But then I remember how hard I am on interiors and decide to not do that.

I've sat in many a Uber/Lyft that was an Altima, for the beating they get they actually hold up decently well.

Now with that new turbo VC engine Nissan is pushing and with how cheap rental car agencies and Uber drivers are, I wonder how well it will hold up with Chinese filters and bulk jobber 0W-20(if even).

It looks great! I hated the look of Nissans until the last 2 years or so, they finally crawled out of the past.

Looks like a Lexus and a Mazda had a kid. not bad actually

Looks light years better than anything in the current Honda line up...all look like a 16 year old designed them...and thought they had real rockets attached.

Makes the people that have the old version feel they are out of date and want to buy the new one. If I ever buy another new car it isn't going to have a large tv screen in the middle. I would want to break it off and throw it away. Just the dash gauges please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back