Mercedes GLA class 2014+

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: Alfred_B
When you have a $100k car, you expect things to be flawless. But the reality is not quite like that.

Yup. Another common misconception I see out there is the thinking that a $100K car should maintain itself/not require any maintenance.

Yeah, I remember giving a ride to someone who didn't know anything about cars and he thought that the high price meant it was really reliable. I laughed. It just means it has a bunch of high priced options, not that it's more reliable. Certain things are actually less reliable like motor mounts because they do things like use liquid filled mounts instead of solid rubber. Doesn't last as long, but you get a smoother ride. I like the options that I have though so don't mind paying for it. I think their low end base cars are somewhat of a stretch though, some regular cars have more options and cost less, just lots of people out there willing to pay for the name. Those cars have always been a head scratcher for me, why buy a luxury car if it has no luxury options?

Lol, yeah, like with Volvo
smirk.gif

Finding the right car at the right price has been very difficult. The sellers on auction sites think their cars are worth a lot while the buyers strongly disagree. So the reserves are high and the vehicles go unsold.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: Alfred_B
When you have a $100k car, you expect things to be flawless. But the reality is not quite like that.

Yup. Another common misconception I see out there is the thinking that a $100K car should maintain itself/not require any maintenance.

Yeah, I remember giving a ride to someone who didn't know anything about cars and he thought that the high price meant it was really reliable. I laughed. It just means it has a bunch of high priced options, not that it's more reliable. Certain things are actually less reliable like motor mounts because they do things like use liquid filled mounts instead of solid rubber. Doesn't last as long, but you get a smoother ride. I like the options that I have though so don't mind paying for it. I think their low end base cars are somewhat of a stretch though, some regular cars have more options and cost less, just lots of people out there willing to pay for the name. Those cars have always been a head scratcher for me, why buy a luxury car if it has no luxury options?

There was a time when the premium price of a Mercedes car was justified exactly by the superior reliability and durability that you got along with the outstanding ride and handling. This was what made a Mercedes a premium car, not a bunch of cheap toys. If you wanted toys, there were always Cadillac and Lincoln models to choose from.
This was evident in the older cars, of which we've owned a number. Well made, trouble free and cheap to own and use.
The newer Mercedes cars, like yours, are loaded with toys but lack the build and component quality that exemplified the cars that made the brand what it is.
The same seems to be true of BMW, and I have an old BMW that's as reliable and durable as any Japanese car.
The Germans seem to have followed the rest of the world in building their cars of cheap Chinese supplier parts.
A pity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back