Which oil for BMW F30 320d?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello!

I am trying to find the best oil for my BMW in terms of wear protection. I have the latest 2.0 B47 engine with 190HP, however, I removed the DPF, so I do not need low SAPS oil to protect it. I live in moderately warm climate (winter -5C/23F, summer 35C/95F).

I was thinking maybe:

Mobil 1 0W40 FS
Mobil 1 ESP 0W40
Mobil 1 ESP 5W30

Thanks for helping!

I am changing oil between 10000 and 15000 km.

Also, I deleted EGR, so I am not worried about inlet deposits.

Which oil do you suggest?

Originally Posted By: omglol
I see, thanks. Is there any similar oil, but 5W-40?

Well you would know better than us what you have available. I would think there are many oils sold in Europe with A3/B4 which are 5W-40, what's on the shelf for a reasonable price?

Actually I don't know.
smile.gif
Also, I am not worried about the price. I just want to get the best.

As other said,

Shell Helix Ultra 5w40
Castrol Edge 0w40 A3/B4
Mobil1 0w40 FS
Total Quartz 9000 5W40 Energy

I'd probably pick Shell Helix Ultra 5W40, but that's just price based compared to Castrol or Mobil oil. The Total is even cheaper, if you find the other oil too noisy it'll probably be the quietest (also the thickest).

Packaging I guess.

There used to be some "gas" and "diesel" version sold here, due to historical habits of consumers I suppose, but now it's regrouping under a single multi purpose sticker most of the time.
Both have same property, same approvals
smile.gif

I used to have fun when doing OC for friends with gas engine car by using the "diesel" jugs, many were freaking out until I explained and showed the two different packagings.

(diesel version was often a few cents/euros cheaper (more volume I think) in supermarkets, that's why I was buying it)

Hello!

I am trying to find the best oil for my BMW in terms of wear protection. I have the latest 2.0 B47 engine with 190HP, however, I removed the DPF, so I do not need low SAPS oil to protect it. I live in moderately warm climate (winter -5C/23F, summer 35C/95F).

I was thinking maybe:

Mobil 1 0W40 FS
Mobil 1 ESP 0W40
Mobil 1 ESP 5W30

Thanks for helping!

IMO, Mobil1 drop the ball with FS. 3.6cp HTHS is really not something for W40 oil, regardless that it is on thin side.
I would go with Mobil1 ESP 0W40 or Mobil1 5W30 ESP.
However, since you are in Europe, I would not look further then Castrol Edge 0W30 LL-04. Unfortunately we do not have that oil here in the U.S. and it is one of those Castrol's that are based on PAO and specifically made for BMW's. On German Castrol web site it is still listed as full synthetic together with 10W60.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
All those oils are LOW SAPS ... I don't want that.

Which ones?

The ones "edyvw" mentioned.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
All those oils are LOW SAPS ... I don't want that.

Which ones?

The ones "edyvw" mentioned.

Didn't you write this:
Quote:
I was thinking maybe:

Mobil 1 0W40 FS
Mobil 1 ESP 0W40
Mobil 1 ESP 5W30
So do not understand seriously what do you want?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back