Amsoil 0w20 SS, 4591mi, Civic 1.5T

Status
Not open for further replies.
0W20 is fine with current OCI.
However extending OCI to 7500 miles or more, I would pick a xW30 for now.

based on my UOA results fuel selection does matter. as an interim solution I'd suggest to 1.5t owners to stick with premium gasoline (which I did). given the excellent mileage we're getting with these cars price difference for premium is negligible.

Originally Posted By: Danh
Speaking of fuel dilution in Honda’s 1.5T engine (if that’s what we were doing), there are interesting discussions on this point at one of the CRV forums.

It seems that, during very cold weather, some CRVs with the 1.5T engine are experiencing fuel dilution to the point they stop running or trigger a CEL. One owner says the dealership said he had 2liters of fuel in his car’s sump, others say plugs saturated with fuel stopped working and their cars had to be towed.

Honda seems to have no fix for this yet and none of the owners reporting problems seem to have had their car returned to them. One says 17 similar CRVs are similarly afflicted at their dealership alone awaiting a solution from Honda.

It has admittedly been a really cold winter and the vast, vast majority of 1.5T owners will not experience problems to this degree. But a world of damage could be done before the car gets to the point where it surrenders. Just goes to show that, if these forum posts are correct, Honda TGDI technology isn’t perfected quite yet. Or maybe they’re just not suited to North American locations north of the 45th parallel...

There seems to be a theme with Turbo DI engines... and DI engines in general.

I believe that high octane fuel is going to provide that 'cheap insurance' that is mention in this thread. Manufacturers should never have recommended regular fuel for these engines IMO.

Nice report btw ;P

Thank you.

Running premium gasoline seem to have solved fuel dilution if not completely but to acceptable level. Currently 3k in OCI and no change on the dipstick. will be attempting to make 7k run this time around with 5w30 followed by UOA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back