2011 Chevy 4.3 V6 information

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently purchased a 2011 Silverado work truck with the 4.3 V6. I found that it has 195 HP and 260 torque. This is a base 2 wheel drive truck. What are the good and the bad in regards to this engine? It also has the old 4 speed auto.

Had that combo in a bunch of Chevy Express vans in fleet duty, they run forever. We had 20+ that we ran to 200k with very few issues, I don't remember ever having an engine fail. We did have 1 transmission that I can remember. Oddly, several had the thermostat stick open but that was replaced at no charge under the 5/100 powertrain warranty.

You can get 250k out of that engine with just about any conventional 30 weight engine oil. Change every 5-6k and drain/fill the tranny every 30-50k. You’ll scrap it from rust before you wear the engine out.

My buddy has run several Astros well over 250k with the cheapest quick-change places and ZERO engine problems. Belts, hoses, thermostat, etc yes, actual engine issues nope.

I worked for a pool company in college and my work truck was a brand new silverado with the 4.3.

From what I remember:
1. Comfortable on long trips
2. Slow as [censored], no power whatsoever and insanely tall gearing
3. It's a truck, so useful bed. Bare bones amenities but also less things to break

I enjoyed driving it. If I bought one I'd probably opt for the 5.3 or 6.2, just because.

I have the 4.3 engine in my truck. They are very reliable and the rest of the truck will wear out before the engine. FWIW I only had one minor problem with my truck and a $30 part fixed it (fuel tank pressure sensor).

outstanding motor. The 4.3 may not be overpowered, but they are solid. A friend of mine beat on his hard with occassional long distance towing required lots of throttle all day long. The truck started to fall apart but the engine never developed a single problem that I know of.

In my comment I didn't want to convey the message that the truck wasn't very good, it's just that the engine is exceptional. Chevy makes a good truck except for arguably the 4 speed automatic transmission (2-3 shift).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back