Choose my 1st oil change on 2018 Accord 2.0 Turbo!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess ambient temps play a great role with the FD thing (as well gas grade used). I'm currently 3K in my OCI with 5w30 and no change on the oil level in the sump (as well as minimal blow by accumulated in a catch can). I'd say there's quite a few variables that have an effect on fuel dilution phenomenon.

In particular, DO NOT change the factory fill early! WAIT until the MM tells you to change it! Otherwise, any 0w20 will work just fine for the OCI suggested by the minder. Just pick up whatever is on sale at the time. Even though your Honda is not GM, you may still wish to use a dexos1 gen2 oil because it has TGDI and LSPI in mind. Most new 0w20 synthetics do meet this standard, even the house brands.

The OEM Fram Honda filter is very close, if not identical, to the new orange can with the silicone ADBV. So even that will be more than adequate for a MM-suggested OCI, but there is certainly nothing wrong with the Ultra
smile.gif

I love Wix, but not the one they make for this application. The 57356 media cartridge is too short, especially when you compare it to Fram or Hastings.

Honda's warranty is short, so you can switch to 5w30 soon
smile.gif

I had a look at the Honda 0w-20 fullsyn bottle yesterday and there was no mention (not too surprised) of dexos anywhere.

Originally Posted By: Danh
There’s lots of discussion on CRV forums about Honda’s 1.5T and fuel fuel dilution. Alarmingly increasing crankcase levels, CELs, stalls and even a few engine failures are reported. The Chinese government has ordered a sales stop of CRVs and Civics equipped with the 1.5T until Honda develops a credible solution for fuel dilution. And Dblshock here has his own story.

The 2.0T could be a completely different story, but if it shares the same engineering DNA it’s worth watching.

Danh, is the 2.0 based on the 1.5?

Originally Posted By: DirtyApe
Just a side question: Who makes the Pennzoil HPZ-37 Platinum and the PZ-37? Champ?

I think they are Purolators

The OLM will probably go 7-10K if you drive much on the highway or have a loner commute. So AFE, PP (whichever is cheaper) and a Fram Ultra, changed every 2x.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
There’s lots of discussion on CRV forums about Honda’s 1.5T and fuel fuel dilution. Alarmingly increasing crankcase levels, CELs, stalls and even a few engine failures are reported. The Chinese government has ordered a sales stop of CRVs and Civics equipped with the 1.5T until Honda develops a credible solution for fuel dilution. And Dblshock here has his own story.

The 2.0T could be a completely different story, but if it shares the same engineering DNA it’s worth watching.

Not sure, but it seems to me the fuel dilution issue is more related to tuning philosophy than engine design. Honda is certainly capable of desiging superior engines but its DI/TGDI engines (2.4 DI and 1.5 TGDI, for example) seem to have fuel dilution tendencies that are worse than what’s found elsewhere in the industry.

Of course we don’t know why this is so, but one could speculate it’s to: 1) maximize fuel economy of the EPA cycle and/or 2) making absolutely sure that LSPI never, never, ever occurs and/or 3) insisting on 87 octane fuel when higher might be appropriate.

If Honda’s 2.0T is tuned with the same objectives and compromises as Honda’s other recent efforts, fuel dilution could be an issue. Guess we’ll have to wait for a few UOAs to see, but until then caution may be useful.

Originally Posted By: PimTac

Not sure, but it seems to me the fuel dilution issue is more related to tuning philosophy than engine design. Honda is certainly capable of desiging superior engines but its DI/TGDI engines (2.4 DI and 1.5 TGDI, for example) seem to have fuel dilution tendencies that are worse than what’s found elsewhere in the industry.

Of course we don’t know why this is so, but one could speculate it’s to: 1) maximize fuel economy of the EPA cycle and/or 2) making absolutely sure that LSPI never, never, ever occurs and/or 3) insisting on 87 octane fuel when higher might be appropriate.

If Honda’s 2.0T is tuned with the same objectives and compromises as Honda’s other recent efforts, fuel dilution could be an issue. Guess we’ll have to wait for a few UOAs to see, but until then caution may be useful.

I agree with that. I asked because in many cases engines are pretty much the same except for increased stroke for example. The combustion chamber and pistons may be the same which might mean a similar experience with fuel dilution.

I had thought Honda had changed the tune in these engines because of this issue but I may be mistaken about that.

Originally Posted By: NO2
The OLM will probably go 7-10K if you drive much on the highway or have a loner commute. So AFE, PP (whichever is cheaper) and a Fram Ultra, changed every 2x.

First time I've seen PP mentioned - was looking at that at WM tonight for certifications.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back