Yearly Qualification

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went back to the agency I retired from, Dallas Police, for pistol qualification. By law, if we go back once a year and qualify we can continue to carry without restriction. This is just a burden for the agency as about 1200 or so of us will probably qualify. It's the same 50 round course that the in service guys shoot. This time they gave the retirees a standard "the time will come" speech urging us not to continue to come to qualify after we become a danger to ourselves and others. It was kind of and insult. I shot a 98.8. 80 is passing. There were 50 of us qualifying. Most of the scores I saw were in the 90's, better than the in service guys. I think most of the guys who continue to come to the range after retirement are better shooters. I guess at 65 I'm not ready to hang it up yet. I actually shoot a little better than I did when I was younger. I shot my Glock 26 this time. When I was in uniform I shot a Glock 17.

"This time they gave the retirees a standard "the time will come" speech urging us not to continue to come to qualify after we become a danger to ourselves and others."

Don't take it personally.

I think you are doing the right thing.

Thank you for your service even after your retirement.

Being a resident of the DFW metroplex, knowing this, I can feel safer with retired Police officers still qualifying and honing in their shooting skills.

I just hope that we never need it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Old Mustang Guy
I went back to the agency I retired from, Dallas Police, for pistol qualification. By law, if we go back once a year and qualify we can continue to carry without restriction. This is just a burden for the agency as about 1200 or so of us will probably qualify. It's the same 50 round course that the in service guys shoot. This time they gave the retirees a standard "the time will come" speech urging us not to continue to come to qualify after we become a danger to ourselves and others.

They've got a lot of nerve talking down to retired police officers that way. That is downright insulting. They should be thanking you guys for doing this on your own time, in order to remain an asset to the community. Instead they address you like children who don't know, or else can't think for themselves. Sad.

It is good to have the extra protection of armed good guys on the streets . Thanks for the effort.

My guess would be they have had a few guys come in that made them a little nervous.

At least they are doing it, my department isn't really interested. I qualify there every year any way due to an armed security position I still but otherwise it would be difficult.

But time will come for some, and I can't think of nothing worse than a great shot with Alzheimer's.

Originally Posted By: billt460
Originally Posted By: Old Mustang Guy
I went back to the agency I retired from, Dallas Police, for pistol qualification. By law, if we go back once a year and qualify we can continue to carry without restriction. This is just a burden for the agency as about 1200 or so of us will probably qualify. It's the same 50 round course that the in service guys shoot. This time they gave the retirees a standard "the time will come" speech urging us not to continue to come to qualify after we become a danger to ourselves and others.

They've got a lot of nerve talking down to retired police officers that way. That is downright insulting. They should be thanking you guys for doing this on your own time, in order to remain an asset to the community. Instead they address you like children who don't know, or else can't think for themselves. Sad.

The police talking down to someone? Crazy

Some good points. I've been in the back yard with my BB gun protecting my Martins from sparrows and starling. I probably look like Old PTSD Guy with an M1 carbine.

Some police / police departments seem to be very jealous of anyone but them selves carrying a gun . Or , maybe it just makes them nervous ?

When I ran the range for a mid size agency I would run a qualification course on any retiree if they showed up. I had some guys coming in that had moved to TX from out of state. If they required a specific course of fire I asked for a copy to show compliance when I filled out their form. They brought the box of rounds and I gladly took care of the required paperwork. (authorized by the boss of course)

I may not be the best one to ask as I believe in less restrictions not more. Police do qualifications at a higher level than license to carry holders. We should move to simplify all rules in regard to the legal right to carry firearms. Just my 2 cents. (20+ years as LEO)

Last edited:
You will see an increase in bad things happening as older folks that carry and otherwise shoot/own guns develop Alzheimers. No easy solutions here. I certainly don't have one other than loved ones that are in a position to do so remove the firearm accesability for that individual.

Originally Posted By: Al
You will see an increase in bad things happening as older folks that carry and otherwise shoot/own guns develop Alzheimers.

Any data to back up this weird notion? Alzheimer and guns have both been around quite a long time and I don't recall EVER seeing anything either in media sensationalism OR actual demographic studies showing your proposed correlation.

Maybe you are overlooking the fact that a large portion of ALL gun deaths are attributed to seniors using them for the purpose of suicide. You want to take that option away from them?

You will see an increase in bad things happening as older folks that carry and otherwise shoot/own guns develop Alzheimers. No easy solutions here. I certainly don't have one other than loved ones that are in a position to do so remove the firearm accesability for that individual.

I see where you are going with this and I agree. As an avid shooter I would hope that I will recognize my limitations when the time comes. Same as with my drivers license when it comes to that. Getting older is not always kind to a person. Maybe having "the talk" with the retirees wasn't a bad idea in the first place. I will be laying ground work with my family for the future. No one to leave my hardware to in the future, looks like I'm it. Some new boots at the local Sheriff's office will benefit from that, I guarantee it.

Its a stupid requirement of the retired officers right to carry nationwide bill.

Trying to find an actual agency that WILL qualify retirees, every year, is a pain in the neck. They have to pay several range officers, several days (weeks?) pay, to try and comply with this and qualify all the retired officers in the area, ON TOP of the range officers normal duties. Its a cluster, and I'd like to see that part of the law done away with. They are no longer cops, just average citizens wanting to carry their firearms, they should not be required to qualify annually.

One in ten Florida citizens has a carry permit, and none of them are required to qualify annually. These retired cops shouldn't be required to either.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Its a stupid requirement of the retired officers right to carry nationwide bill.

Trying to find an actual agency that WILL qualify retirees, every year, is a pain in the neck. They have to pay several range officers, several days (weeks?) pay, to try and comply with this and qualify all the retired officers in the area, ON TOP of the range officers normal duties. Its a cluster, and I'd like to see that part of the law done away with. They are no longer cops, just average citizens wanting to carry their firearms, they should not be required to qualify annually.

One in ten Florida citizens has a carry permit, and none of them are required to qualify annually. These retired cops shouldn't be required to either.
They can get a permit like everyone else. You have to jump through hoops if you want to be a more equal citizen.

Originally Posted By: UberArchetype
You will see an increase in bad things happening as older folks that carry and otherwise shoot/own guns develop Alzheimers.

Any data to back up this weird notion? Alzheimer and guns have both been around quite a long time and I don't recall EVER seeing anything either in media sensationalism OR actual demographic studies showing your proposed correlation.

Maybe you are overlooking the fact that a large portion of ALL gun deaths are attributed to seniors using them for the purpose of suicide. You want to take that option away from them?

When did I indicate I wanted to take their gun rights? Answer: I didn't.

I didnt look up the statistics. I suspect there aren't any. It doesn't take a rocket science to figure out that guns and Alzheimers probably don't go wellj together. It is also a fact that many Alzheimers patients become agressive.

But again; all I am doing is bringing up an issue. I am not implying there should be a NEW law limiting their rights. And I agree taking a tool away from someone who is in that condition is questioinable.

HR 218 is quite specific in requirements to take advantage of lawful carry of a concealed firearm in the United States. Any of us taking advantage of HR 218 to carry nationwide should fully review the requirements and since its been enacted for more than 15 years, review some case law too.

Of our experience of being LEOs and dealing with plain-clothed LEOs or criminals with firearms, we can appreciate and now understand how we must act as "only citizens" to protect ourselves in a dire situation and yield to uniformed LEOS when involved in a situation when firearms are present. Your life might depend on it.

Being a retired LEO who served also a WTO, it was important to mange your range safely, and just as important, provide the trainee with not only tactical firearm skills but the legal ramifications of the use of deadly physical force. Now as a citizen given a federal statue to allow such carry without indemnification to use of force, its best to think wisely in such carry and ensure any action you take is solely to save yourself or loved one from death or serious physical injury. DAs in any jurisdiction will be more than glad to use you as a re-election advertisement otherwise.

While we are discussing, ask any line level uniform LEO what HR218 is for retired LEOs or any training giving them information dealing with such carry and odds are they look at you if your nuts. I will still bet a retired cop from Georgia conceal carrying at 42nd and Lexington in NYC yielded handcuffs and time in a cell before some DA looked at his retirement ID, his yearly qualification card and review of the federal statue. And vice versa of some out of state LEO visiting another locale.

Last edited:
When did I indicate I wanted to take their gun rights? Answer: I didn't.

Wrong Answer - It was implied. Just as any mention of "bad things" happening with guns gets followed up with the next iteration of gun control legislation debate. Decide what your position actually is before making vague comments suggesting you have some new idea about gun control, because I'm here to tell you you don't. It's all been gone over ad nauseum in just about every venue, platform and setting you can imagine in this country for decades.

When a retired chief justice starts talking about repealing 2A, you better decide quick.

Originally Posted By: Recalculating
I will still bet a retired cop from Georgia conceal carrying at 42nd and Lexington in NYC yielded handcuffs and time in a cell before some DA looked at his retirement ID, his yearly qualification card and review of the federal statue. And vice versa of some out of state LEO visiting another locale.

Try active LEO from GA in NYC, it's the same treatment only with a half hearted 'sorry 'bout that'. Seems the only creds NYPD will even begrudgingly honor are NY LEO and Federal LEO. I'm not really sure they've heard about HR218.

SABENA - formerly a Belgian airline, now stands for Such A Bad Experience Never Again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back