ACDelco PF64 - C&P - Torn Media!

Status
Not open for further replies.
This filter was on my 2017 ATS for 5k miles running dealer D1G2 bulk. I have an analysis of the oil coming which came out nasty and smelly. Worst looking oil I've ever pulled out of a non-diesel engine. Then again it's my first DI Turbo. The virgin analysis can be found at:

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4611909/AC_Delco_D1G2_5w30_-_Dealer_Bu

The sad news is that the filter tore, in the obvious spot when the media is poorly spaced. The media was torn at both ends of that one pleat where it had no support on either side. It bent over and tore as a result.

My praise of this filter being of decent quality in my previous C&P is now renounced and I will be using the dealer oil changes with this filter only for quick 500 km runs while I run Gumout and DI intake cleaner every OCI. I will then proceed to dump it and replace with D1G2, or better spec oil, and a known quality filter with metal screen backing and synthetic media. Tired of worrying about filters... it's 2018 and we're still dealing with filters with torn media.
crazy2.gif

Enjoy the pics.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/t1rieh9wmiago27/AAAeytXJeOp_2B3KTA7DIsnKa?dl=0

Scary thing is, your average GM owner would never see any of this! Lots of fuel dilution, bad Purolator level filter, ran out to OLM settings. Why did that timing chain fail early again??
crazy2.gif

I just put that filter on my Malibu not good . Might have to use the new and improved Purolators One or Boss the media is stronger

Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
Thanks for sharing. Gumout is a brand name with 11 products. Which one did you like to use? Thanks.

Regane Complete and All-in-One.

Originally Posted By: pda1122
I wonder what the dealer would say if you show them the pics. Better not blame the customer...

If I had the cycles and patience I could probably escalate to the highest levels and get something out of it. Not sure I want to expend those cycles.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Scary thing is, your average GM owner would never see any of this! Lots of fuel dilution, bad Purolator level filter, ran out to OLM settings. Why did that timing chain fail early again??
crazy2.gif

OLM was at 32% when I pulled this filter. It was trending towards 7.5-8k for a 0% OLM.

I wonder if 2k changes with VWB and a Fram extra guard wouldn't be the better option in these engines. It will be an interesting UOA.

Nice:
1.) Had plenty XG10575 filters that fit both 5.3L engines
2.) Read all the BITOG stuff on new 5.3L and bypass psi
3.) Just bought six AC Delco PF63E filters

The oil doesn't look to bad. This engine will be fine. I may be old school but I still change oil in a new engine very early. Maybe 500 miles.

I use the same filter (PF64) on the Camaro, guess next time I change my oil I will cut open my filter.

Hopefully this is just a fluke and it does not happen again.

Originally Posted By: 4WD
Nice:
1.) Had plenty XG10575 filters that fit both 5.3L engines
2.) Read all the BITOG stuff on new 5.3L and bypass psi
3.) Just bought six AC Delco PF63E filters

E stands for an ecore design, correct? No thanks. If they can't get the pleat spacing right the ecore is an even higher liability. Bypass spec is irrelevant if oil is bypassing the media.

Here is my ecore experience. ACDelco is 2 for 2 now from my experience.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/1813381/1

Originally Posted By: WobblyElvis
The oil doesn't look to bad. This engine will be fine. I may be old school but I still change oil in a new engine very early. Maybe 500 miles.

The oil was changed three times before 5k miles.

Originally Posted By: thescreensavers
I use the same filter (PF64) on the Camaro, guess next time I change my oil I will cut open my filter.

Hopefully this is just a fluke and it does not happen again.

I would use them again if the filter can was clear and I could see the quality of the media pleating *before* I put it on my car.

Otherwise I'll go with a filter media design that mitigates against this scenario.

I bought two Royal Purple 10-48 filters to use on my Malibu. They are full synthetic wire backed and built like a tank. Check 'em out...
cool.gif

Originally Posted By: RD_3
I bought two Royal Purple 10-48 filters to use on my Malibu. They are full synthetic wire backed and built like a tank. Check 'em out...
cool.gif

Point me in the direction of a C&P of that filter and I'll consider it.

I had the same reaction on the Fram TG I cut open that had an off center end cap and glue shards were getting to the engine clean side of the filter. I think that's worse than a torn pleat. People disbelieved or ignored it, being Fram fans.
There is the Fram HP 18 which meets the spec for bypass at 22 and is built for hard use. I would use those over a wrong bypass setting filter, but they are somewhat expensive. Of course this is a 2017 Cadillac so a couple bucks isn't a lot.

Originally Posted By: webfors
Originally Posted By: RD_3
cool.gif

Point me in the direction of a C&P of that filter and I'll consider it.

If you search "Royal Purple oil filter review and specs" on YouTube, you should come across a video by CarsNToys. You get to see everything regarding the filter; he also throws in an EaO filter too in the end of the video.

Currently I am running a Fram PSL10060 that I picked up for $10

Though of little solace to you, not a typical ACDelco/Champ thread end bypass anecdote posted here. Shouldn't tear at 5k miles. Not excusing it, in addition to pleat spacing does make me ponder if DI fuel dilution a factor too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back