Help: Should I get an iPhone 6s?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right now I have a $50 dollar Samsung Galaxy J3 GoPhone Walmart special. After about a year of use, this phone is telling me my 8GB of internal storage is maxed out and that "Some system functions may not work". This despite having a 32GB microSD. I have narrowed it down to three of my most used apps after deleting a few to try and free up some space. That said, I feel like I'm at a cross road looking towards getting something newer/better.

One might note from my previous expenditure of $50 bucks that I'm not into dropping serious coin on a phone. I am careful with my things and have never destroyed or lost a cell phone but that could change at any point, so again, I can't see speeding a ton on the latest and greatest phone.

With this Android phone I hate, hate, hate the picture upload rigmarole to my PC. As a father of three small children, taking quality pictures, video and getting the media uploaded to my PC efficiently is a top priority for me. I'm not a gamer and I'm not big on a ton of apps. Also I'm just a little bit concerned about Google relaying my every move up to the cloud. Whether or not it's true, I'm to understand Apple offers a bit more privacy in that regard.

Back to the money. I'm with Consumer Cellular and they are offering a new-not-used 32GB iPhone 6s. With their EasyPay option, I can have it for $25 down and 11 payments of $25/mo. I think I can handle that if it means getting a decent phone that will last me for say at least three years or more. My main question is, will Apple support this phone for that long? Will the battery last that long?

Am I going wrong here? Is there anything I'm missing? Suggestions? In for the fire storm...

I really like my iphone 7. Really like the ios system. Android was too complicated for me. My 7 is going strong at 2 years old. Also apple now has a permanite 30$ battery program.

That internal memory is a pain with the J3s.

Go to settings, applications, application manager, and you will have a couple of "tabs" "Downloaded", and "SD Card.

Click on SD card, and some apps will have an empty box next to them. Click on them, and you will have an option to transfer that app to the SD card, rather than have it in phone memory.

There's no problem in any of our Android stuff getting stuff off it and to the PC...plug it in the USB, and pull them off the folders like a USB stick.

While in there, make sure that all your photos are on the SD card.

Go to the phone memory in my files, look in DCIM, thumbnails and delete them.

Click on storage usage, and delete unnecessary data.

Ahhh...go to settings, developer options, and allow USB debugging ... that lets you use the phone like a USB stick.

And if it came pre-installed with all the MSOFFICE carp,, disable them too...you will have to do it multiple times before the phone realises that you are serious.

My wife's J3 is doing that too, maxed out memory and nothing on the card, I'll get her to try that. That's one thing I like about the Windows phone, you can tell it where to put things, but getting photos off the phone is a real problem. The Samsung is the same as my camera, plug it in get the photos, same with putting music on, no problem at all. I think if I had Windows 10 on my computer it would help, it doesn't like windows 7.

Open the camera, click on the gear cog (settings), and there'll be a "storage location" section, with no button next to it...click it and pick memory card...then your NEW photos will go there.

Use your USB connection, or file manager to move all the old ones over there.

Mine's a J5 with 8GB of phone memory, got 25 apps of varying sizes on the phone...110 GB of stuff on the momory card, and don't suffer capacity issues unless I've downloaded 250MB of podcasts that I haven't moved across.

I have had both,and prefer the Apple product...it just works as you would expect. I don't do anything fancy either, it takes decent photos and downloads easily to the mac with a usb connection.

One issue I have had after about 2 years is that the update contained some processor intensive software which slowed my phone down and caused some weird things to happen. So now after a factory reset it works as designed and updates are ignored.

I have a 4, a 4S, a 5, a 6, & a 7 (through the entire family)-the biggest thing about the 6 & 7 is-GET A GOOD CASE! I haven't broken any of mine because they've always been in an Otterbox Defender, but many of my coworkers have broken glass and even BENT the cases because the thinner cases with a screen protector weren't protective enough. Weirdly enough, even though the screen is smaller & the iOS is obsolete, for basic tasks the 4 still seems easiest to use. The 6 & 7 seem like there's a lot more things happening, with occasional crashes. Also, the $29 battery replacements through Apple ONLY are good until 12/31/2018, so be sure (like me on my iPhone 6) to get it done before the end of the year. I'm thinking 12/30 or 12/31 myself.

Last edited:
If you get a 6s, get 32GB or more and it better be cheap otherwise its not really a good deal for how many years it will be supported. I got a cheap 5s with 16GB a couple years ago and have to limit the number of apps I keep on it and certainly don't store music on it. Other than that it actually works fine, takes decent pictures, etc...

I am even cheaper and had a $30 ZTE Majesty. Pretty good actually with 16gb, but in the sun the screen was invisible pretty much. I just got an iPhone SE 32gb for 199 for Tracfone. I can still return it, but probably won't. Very nice phone and it sends extra data to icloud, which I don't really need and am still learning about. The SE is small which is good for me as I keep it in my pocket, I got an otter case for it. I pay $13 a month for the tracfone service and don't even need that much.

I would buy two or three because I have Apple stock.
smile.gif

I have two iPhone-5 and one iPhone-5S. All work great. If I ever replace, I will probably replace with an iPhone SE, or if that is no longer available, with the yet to be introduced iPhone-SE2 (whatever they end up calling it) or if I decide to go larger, the iPhone-8.

I like the smaller size of the 5 and/or SE.

As said before, spend the money and get an OtterBox Defender.

We had three 5s in the family and they all now have 6s. No complaints from them. I like iPhones too and had a 5c and an SE. I just refuse to spend more than $200 or so on a phone and currently have a Samsung Galaxy J7 v.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
That internal memory is a pain with the J3s.

Go to settings, applications, application manager, and you will have a couple of "tabs" "Downloaded", and "SD Card.

Click on SD card, and some apps will have an empty box next to them. Click on them, and you will have an option to transfer that app to the SD card, rather than have it in phone memory.

There's no problem in any of our Android stuff getting stuff off it and to the PC...plug it in the USB, and pull them off the folders like a USB stick.

While in there, make sure that all your photos are on the SD card.

Go to the phone memory in my files, look in DCIM, thumbnails and delete them.

Click on storage usage, and delete unnecessary data.

Ahhh...go to settings, developer options, and allow USB debugging ... that lets you use the phone like a USB stick.

Okay, I was able to move two apps to the SD card. Other than that, all photos, vedio, music and other files were already on the SD. The storage dashboard shows nothing in the device storage, yet I am at 7.5GB of my 8GB max. I also manually looked through every folder in the device storage and they're all empty. Also, I've looked all over settings for "developer options", to no avail.

Did it have the MS suite installed on it ?

The cleared up nearly 2GB when I did mine.

Go into the settings, and the apps, and click on them.

e.g.

Tells you where the app is storing data..and gives you options to clear cache on things like facebook.

Edit...Developer options is second last item in settings, just above "About device".

Had another thought...is yours owned outright and not locked to a carrier ?

We buy all our gear off the net, unlocked, not linked to carriers.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Shannow
Did it have the MS suite installed on it ?

The cleared up nearly 2GB when I did mine.

Go into the settings, and the apps, and click on them.

e.g.

Tells you where the app is storing data..and gives you options to clear cache on things like facebook.

Edit...Developer options is second last item in settings, just above "About device".

Had another thought...is yours owned outright and not locked to a carrier ?

We buy all our gear off the net, unlocked, not linked to carriers.

Yes, I cleared the cache on the two apps I have.

Never had MS suite.

This is an AT&T GoPhone. Owned and Unlocked. That said. It came with a bunch of bloat wear which I disabled.

This is Andriod version 6.0.1

This is what I see in settings:

Settings-> System ->

* Language and input
* Battery
* Storage
* Date and time
* About device

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back