Rockauto Bumper cover quality

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking into ordering a new bumper for the father-in-law's 2002 Accord 2dr. Rockauto lists a bumper cover for 62$ (Capa certified). Not sure what CAPA means, but I'm assuming it's better quality over the 52$ option.

Does anyone have any experience ordering bumpers or body parts from Rockauto? I'm questioning the quality @ 62$ vs 400$ the dealer is quoting him. Part in question - https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=694534&cc=1386211&jsn=383

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Some of the panels like Keystone are what body shops use.

Even if bodyshops use them, they aren't any good

Try for a salvage item in the same color, or have it repainted

It'll just fit better

It's a balancing act between a $62 option which'll please / placate old Daddy or insult him.

A junkyard ANYTHING in YOUR COLOR is worth the phone calls.

Did you check the shipping from Rock? You may be in for a real shock. For the money a clean used one would be ideal and easier to repaint if it is a different color. OE is the next best option albeit the most expensive one.

I am the parts manager at a large bodyshop.
Aftermarket parts are hit or miss. They rarely ever fit as good as oem, most fit acceptably well, some fit terrible.
Capa is an aftermarket certification, in my experience it will be a better part but no garrantee it will fit.

Honda's are a vehicle the aftermarket parts do not tend to fit well in my experience.

My first choice would be a good used part, but good used parts for an older car like that could be tough to find.
I would look for used first and a capa aftermarket second.

used car part dot com. It was a while before I could find a rear door for my Montego blue BMW, but well worth the wait. WAY easier than painting!

Does Canada have a version of "Certi-Fit?" It's a company in the US that sells collision parts and supplies body shops with a lot of their materials.

Bumper covers are huge and unwieldy to ship. I'd want to buy one in person to make sure that it isn't TOO deformed or has stress cracks from twisting around too much.

Yes shipping is usually awful with rockauto on body parts. They have to ship it freight because of that size so shipping is too high. Better to find it locally for about the same price.

Originally Posted By: hondb20
Looking into ordering a new bumper for the father-in-law's 2002 Accord 2dr. Rockauto lists a bumper cover for 62$ (Capa certified). Not sure what CAPA means, but I'm assuming it's better quality over the 52$ option.

Does anyone have any experience ordering bumpers or body parts from Rockauto? I'm questioning the quality @ 62$ vs 400$ the dealer is quoting him. Part in question - https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=694534&cc=1386211&jsn=383

Make sure its CAPA certified and you will be fine.

I ordered and installed a bumper from Rockauto a few years ago for my 97 Accord.
Part fit good.
Only drawback was that the shipping was more than the part.
If I had to do it over again, I'd look to a junk yard.

Aftermarket bumper covers are hit or miss - and they need more prep than an OEM one to paint. Bodyshops will reluctantly install a Keystone refurbished bumper cover which fits closer to OEM - but the primer system on those is questionable. Since this is an unfinished part, you're stuck getting it painted. Plastic parts need special prep - a good scrub with dish soap like Dawn followed by a gray/red Scotch-Brite with a prepping scrub and then a plastics adhesion system/adhesion promoter followed with (flexed)primer/base/flexed clear.

I'd try to find a used OEM cover in good shape.

That procedure is old school, it still works but forget the flex additive with base/clear. Today there are special primers that require little more than a wash down and no scuff required.
This is what is commonly used today, its so tenacious you cannot blast if off with a pressure washer the bumper plastic cuts first. This is from one company.

https://www.polyvance.com/Bumper-and-Cladding-Adhesion-Primer-Original/3604-4/

I totally forgot to check the shipping. 335 with shipping, so the OEM becomes more attractive. I'll phone some junkyards around town. Thanks guys!

Originally Posted By: nthach
Aftermarket bumper covers are hit or miss - and they need more prep than an OEM one to paint. Bodyshops will reluctantly install a Keystone refurbished bumper cover which fits closer to OEM - but the primer system on those is questionable. Since this is an unfinished part, you're stuck getting it painted. Plastic parts need special prep - a good scrub with dish soap like Dawn followed by a gray/red Scotch-Brite with a prepping scrub and then a plastics adhesion system/adhesion promoter followed with (flexed)primer/base/flexed clear.

I'd try to find a used OEM cover in good shape.

Keystone reconditioned bumpers are one of the worst things out there in my opinion!
I'd take a CAPA over a recon!
In 12 years working in a body shop, I have ordered hundreds on the insistence of the insurance adjusters.
Out of hundreds of them in all those years, I think we maybe got 3 or 4 that were good enough to use.
Shoddy repairs that were cracking and splitting just from the bumper flexing in delivery truck, poor surface prep, sanding and grinding marks , poorly finished edges and body lines, and primer peeling off right out of the box.
Some the mounting areas are repaired and built up too thick to even pop into the mounting brackets on the car!

When I had to get my bumpers replaced twice - no fault of my own, my body shop had to fight AAA to get an OEM Toyota bumper cover installed. None of the Taiwanese or Chinese suppliers made one for the Lexus LS400. My insurance only covered the Keystone cover, the shop had nothing but problems with paint peeling off on those.

I bought one of these cheap bumper covers for my Envoy, it was pre painted for $182 shipped. Fit was simply ok. The left right side lined up perfectly, the left side came up short where the bumper and quarter meet at the wheel well. I had to bend the mounting tab but made it work. The black color doesnt match perfectly but it looks better than the cracked/scuffed bumper that was on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back