Oil for new 18 Stinger GT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice car; any SN 5W-30 or 5W-40 synthetic should work fine. The DI turbo in my MS3 was allegedly hard on oil, but UOAs showed that M1 5W-30 was good for at least the maximum OCI(7500 miles) called for by Mazda.

Well to elaborate on my previous post i get my oil at walmart. But since your car has a substantial warranty i myself would most likely have the dealership do the oil change so that an ireffutable maintainace record is established if anything might hapen to the engine or other lubricated parts during that warranty period.

Originally Posted By: geekster
Love these cars. Where are the pictures?

Heres a few. Looks like we have similar taste in vehicles as well if you check my sig.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MCompact
The KIA dealers in my area have several GT@ Stingers but they are all AWD...

We got the AWD since it will be my wife's daily and we do get snow in Cincinnati. The awd is rwd bias though and has great driving dynamics.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: 69Torino
I just got back from Stinger training a couple months ago. This engine will be hard on oil.

Did they go over anything about the engine's design with respect to what oil viscosity they recommended ... ie, like bearing clearances, oil temperature, oil coolers used, etc?

Sorry so long to respond...

Oil temp is high. Mainly due to the compact nature of the engine compartment. The oil cap says 5w-30 on the GT and 0w-30 on the 2.0T, nobody really knows why. It was mutually agreed in training among Techs and instructors that Xw-40 should be used if a GT is driven any harder than to your Church functions. They do in fact use an oil cooler but it's cooled by engine coolant, not air. So the oil cooler can only do so much. And no, we are not privy to bearing clearances, they are proprietary apparently. I would think they would be similar or identical to all the Lambda V-6's, and are selective rod bearings which are only serviceable in the reman program. We do not build short blocks in a Kia house. So no reason for a tech to sweat the bearing clearances. For this I am thankful, they don't pay well even to assemble a long block.

Last edited:
69Torino - thanks for the info. Seems like most of the new vehicles with small turboed engins are specifying at least xW-30 (ie, Ford ecoboost, etc) probably for the same higher oil temps reason.

69Torino - thanks for the info. Seems like most of the new vehicles with small turboed engins are specifying at least xW-30 (ie, Ford ecoboost, etc) probably for the same higher oil temps reason.

Our 2.3 EcoBoost Explorer is a real heat producer in the engine compartment. With the 2 UOA's It showed oil shearing without outward signs of fuel dilution. The Mobil 1 5W-30 after 7,000 miles was at least just still in the 30 weight viscosity category. The Motorcraft 5W-30 after 4,275 miles was firmly into the lower 20 weight viscosity family. I posted these in the UOA section previously.

Whimsey

Originally Posted By: Whimsey

Our 2.3 EcoBoost Explorer is a real heat producer in the engine compartment. With the 2 UOA's It showed oil shearing without outward signs of fuel dilution. The Mobil 1 5W-30 after 7,000 miles was at least just still in the 30 weight viscosity category. The Motorcraft 5W-30 after 4,275 miles was firmly into the lower 20 weight viscosity family. I posted these in the UOA section previously.

Whimsey

Good info on the shear difference going on. It would be interesting to see more data comparing how different oils sheared down in the same engine like you showed above.

On a side note, I wonder how much testing is done on the oil shearing in actual use conditions in cars that manufacturers are recommending 0W-16? Especially with higher OCIs and in DI engines that typically have higher fuel dilution.

Originally Posted By: Spdfrk1990
Ok I guess that puts it out of the mix. Will be looking for Mobil 1 or Castrol 5w40.

There is also Pennzoil Euro 5w-40 A3/B4. Shell and Mobil also make 5w-30 E6 HDEOs in SN that lack GF-5 due to higher HTHS. Castrol has one as well, but very hard to find and lacks the SN, of all things. Chevron should have one as well.

Originally Posted By: Old Mustang Guy
My interpretation of the chart was that 0w 30 or 40 was ok.

Thats for the 4 cylinder and not the v6.

I just got back from Stinger training a couple months ago. This engine will be hard on oil.

Did they go over anything about the engine's design with respect to what oil viscosity they recommended ... ie, like bearing clearances, oil temperature, oil coolers used, etc?

Sorry so long to respond...

Oil temp is high. Mainly due to the compact nature of the engine compartment. The oil cap says 5w-30 on the GT and 0w-30 on the 2.0T, nobody really knows why. It was mutually agreed in training among Techs and instructors that Xw-40 should be used if a GT is driven any harder than to your Church functions. They do in fact use an oil cooler but it's cooled by engine coolant, not air. So the oil cooler can only do so much. And no, we are not privy to bearing clearances, they are proprietary apparently. I would think they would be similar or identical to all the Lambda V-6's, and are selective rod bearings which are only serviceable in the reman program. We do not build short blocks in a Kia house. So no reason for a tech to sweat the bearing clearances. For this I am thankful, they don't pay well even to assemble a long block.

FWIW: If it where mine (yellow Kia GT2 AWD), I'd put the same fantastic Castrol 0W-40 oil and Fram XG series filter that I run in my turbo/tuned Optima SX. I'd also keep that oil/filter changed every 5K miles and run it on Top Tier 93 octane gas.

full-14168-22307-oil_vis.png

This seems to be the only gas-engine-specific and easy-to-find 5W-40 in US:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Castrol-EDGE-5W-40-Full-Synthetic-Motor-Oil-5-QT/145736795

If you want to go with 5W-30, it needs to be ACEA A5/B5. Mobil 1 and Pennzoil Platinum are good choices.

I wonder why 0W-40 is not recommended. Too much viscosity-index improver (VII) may cause intake-valve-deposits problems in GDI engines? If that's the case, 5W-30 is a better choice than 5W-40 for GDI because it has less viscosity-index improver.

Regarding amount of VII in Mobil 1 oils, see my table for the A_Harman index:

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4406648/Re:_Mobil_AP,_strange_HTHS?#Post4406648

Originally Posted By: Spdfrk1990
I may just go with M1 5w30 EP since thats what I run in my truck. Easy to find at about every store as well.

It's probably a good choice for this engine. It also has a little less VII than the vanilla M1 5W-30.

Castrol 5W-40 would probably be my last choice for a 5W-40. It’s generally regarded as sub-par around here. There are plenty of others available here in the U.S. I listed them above. Motul or Pennzoil 5W-40 would be great options.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back