Spark Plug Change Interval

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some OPE, particularly B&S powered, call for a 50 hour spark plug change. Others suggest clean and gap at 100 hours, with no specific change interval. What's up with that? 50 hours seems ridiculous. Your opinions please.

Keep a spare on hand in case you start to have issues. Then put in the new one and if that doesn't solve the issue put the old one back in.

I bought plugs for my kawsaki fr651v engine as the manual said clean and regap at 100 hours. Though i would just replace. When i pulled them the gap was between .030 and .40. Ground and center electrode hardly worn, so i put them back in. They look like they can easily go another 100hrs.

I almost never change plugs on my OPE. I just changed it on my trimmer after almost ten years! It was getting hard to start. It probably had 100 hours on it.

I have never seen a plug on OPE actually WORN out. Not working, yes, but not wore out. I have seen plugs many many years old and working perfect, and ones practically new go bad.

I pull the plugs on OPE once ever couple years or so to see how the fuel is burning. Then I clean & gap them and put them back. Some have over 1000 hours on them and I suspect will have well over twice that before I replace them. A plug usually has to fail before I'll change it. I keep spares on hand just to be on the safe side.

Manufacturers always tell you to replace parts for one primary reason: TO SELL PARTS!

Originally Posted By: boraticus
Manufacturers always tell you to replace parts for one primary reason: TO SELL PARTS!

Yeah - echo that. I ordered a couple of NGK Iridium plugs to keep on hand. The Honda push mower refused to start last weekend, so I will try one in that machine. That one has the original plug with several hundred hours on it. I've never cleaned or gapped it. It looks like the perfect candidate for testing a new plug.

I used to change em every two or three years, just to have a shiny new pug in there. Now I just leave them alone. If it starts and runs, that's good enough for me. I might re-gap it every half decade. Maybe.

I wish on snowblowers and mowers, repair and sale of used. Never replace a spark plug unless it doesn't work which is years and years.

My troy Bilt snow blow says "Service the Spark Plug After every season or 100 Hours". Seems excessive but a plug is only about $2.......

My B&S 20HP twin says 50 hours on spark plugs. I pull them at 50 and they look very good. I clean with a fiber brush, check gap and reinstall. ed

Originally Posted By: JLawrence08648
I wish on snowblowers and mowers, repair and sale of used. Never replace a spark plug unless it doesn't work which is years and years.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4700105/2/Generator_Maintenancerous

If all you own is a single cylinder lawn mower, the cost is insignificant. When a person has numerous machines with multiple plugs, the cost becomes a factor.

Not sure what plugs you're buying for $2.00. We pay over $5.00 for an NGK up here.

Regardless of the cost, why would anyone want to throw out a perfectly functioning part simply because the "manual says to"? Does that make any sense whatsoever?

Manufacturers love people who follow instructions without thinking about what they're doing.

Originally Posted By: Tundragod
My troy Bilt snow blow says "Service the Spark Plug After every season or 100 Hours". Seems excessive but a plug is only about $2.......

I have a Troy-Bilt snow blower and they use Chinese Torch spark plugs in their Chinese engines. Maybe that's why they recommend that spark plug change schedule. I've had no problem with the Torch spark plug but I changed it after 2 seasons with a NGK plug anyway for about $2.67. It now starts on the first pull rather than taking 2-3 pulls. I will say that the small 179cc PowerMore engine in my 24" Troy-Bilt snow blower actually does a great job even after adding the impeller paddles, which strains the engine even more. I'm using Rotella 10W-30 and it doesn't burn/use any oil at all and I beat the dickins out of it.

Whimsey

Originally Posted By: Whimsey
I have a Troy-Bilt snow blower and they use Chinese Torch spark plugs in their Chinese engines. Maybe that's why they recommend that spark plug change schedule. Whimsey

Similar situation here: Ariens snow blower and Champion generator with Chinese motors and Torch plugs. Neither machine has enough hours to consider changing the plug. Luckily that Torch plug cross references to the NGK used in my push mower and pressure washer with Honda GCV-160 motors. I've ordered a couple of the NGK Iridium plugs to replace these, and plan to start with the Honda push mower that has at least 200 hours on the plug. If it looks good I will hang onto that NGK plug for emergencies. The generator might get an Iridium plug to replace a Torch the next time I service it. Generators are sometimes the hardest working machine in the fleet and need to start reliably.

I put in a new plug every season on my 20+ year old John Deere push mower with a B+S engine. Just knowing that I don't have to wear out my rotator cuff trying to start it makes the minimal expenditure worth it.

I just google NGK BPR6ES
Advance Auto Parts has it $2.59 - ‎In stock
denniskirk has it for $1.78

I bought NGK Iridium IX Spark Plug (BPR6EIX) instead for $5.59 after 20% off at Advance auto. There are 30% off codes out there as well for Advance auto.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back