blood test results

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a blood test and had the following results
LDL 133
HDL 156
Glucose 119

I am 57 6'1" and 195. Are these anything to be alarmed about. In all honesty I dont watch what I eat. Doctor told me watch carbs. Any thoughts. I have always been in excellent health and first health issue I have faced.....

Originally Posted By: raaizin
LDL 133
HDL 156
Glucose 119

Normal ranges for those are:

LDL = 100~130 mg/dL

HDL = 40~59 mg/dL

Glucose = 65~120 mg/dL

Make sure the units (mg/dL) are the same with your results (probably are). If so, your HDL is really high. Your test results should have also shown a normal range like I showed above.

Google what causes high HDL.

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
More green veggies and for starters just cut out candy and lots of sweetened desserts.

Try some blueberries on some yogurt for dessert

*Unsweetened* yogurt. Most yogurts have as much sugar as cake frostings....

HDL is the good cholesterol. It carries the bad LDL cholesterol to the liver where it is eliminated from the body. So it might not be bad to have a high HDL, but I do not know how high HDL would have to be to be of concern.

Watch your diet as your doctor suggests. If that is your fasting blood glucose then it might be worthwhile to purchase a starter kit with a meter and strips and test yourself regularly. That is how I found out I had type 2 diabetes. Years of annual physicals and labs but one year it suddenly popped up. Testing your glucose will show if your diet is having any effect and can give your doctor some valuable insights as well. You can find quality kits on Amazon for less than $25. I use Bayer’s Acensia system but there are many others.

Your 119 glucose, were you fasting at the time?

I scored 112 about 8 years ago during a yearly physical. I was fasting at the time. Doc told me to get it below 100 and keep it there if possible. He told me if I didn't, there would be a chance of me being full diabetic within 10 yrs. I was told <100 is good, 100-125 was pre diabetic range, and over 126 was diabetic.

Is that 156 HDL a typo? 56 is a more typical number.

Glucose is a little high. Mine is that high, too. While 126 might be diabetic, people with full blown diabetes get way over that like 200-400.

Originally Posted By: Mantooth

I scored 112 about 8 years ago during a yearly physical. I was fasting at the time. Doc told me to get it below 100 and keep it there if possible. He told me if I didn't, there would be a chance of me being full diabetic within 10 yrs. I was told div>

Blood sugar readings between 100 and 110 are in the total normal range non diabetic range.

Last edited:
Seems like we're missing the triglyceride number and the total cholesterol number. Usually you can figure that out by add LDL plus HDL plus 1/5 triglyceride. I hope that 156 for HDL is wrong as it seems way too high, like others said 56 is probably a more normal number but that still puts total cholesterol over 190 without accounting for triglycerides which probably is at least 150. That would put you over 200 which is considered borderline high.

I have to watch what I eat to get glucose levels that low. I showed up with a 180+ fasting my last blood work, so I have a BG meter and test every morning.

I'm 5'11" and 240 pounds. I've dropped over 20 since that test. I have been down in the 220s and will probably need to go lower.

My Dr put me on 500mg of Metformin and has me test everyday. I also track everything I eat on MyFitnessPal.

The dietitian/diabetes educator has me on a 225g/day carb diet. I'm about 40% carbs, 30% fat and 30% protein for my food mix. That's for a 2250 calorie/day diet.

Watching what I eat, making sure my carbs come from fruits and vegetables instead of processed foods and starches makes a difference.

Even after a three day weekend travelling and some drinking, but not more than 4 drinks/day, my fasting BG level was "only" up to 122 from the running average of 115.

I think I "suffer" from a bit of "dawn effect" where my BG goes up at night. I can eat a banana before the gym, do a spin class and come home with a BG level below 80. Of course, I do have fat that my liver can convert to glucose, so that "dawn effect" where my liver spends the night converting fat to glucose may subside when I lose another 20+ pounds.

My problem was I "thought" (really lied to myself) that I could just workout and then eat what I wanted to.

Maybe when I was in my 20s. Not so much in my 50s. Put enough garbage in you and you can become insulin resistant, making problems later.

I would suggest watching carbs as well. Carbs are what become the bad cholesterol, not fats.

Your body keeps around a certain amount of glucose in your blood for "flight or fight" activities like sprinting away from danger, or fighting it. Things that require quick bursts of energy, but are not meant to be sustained.

To do endurance work, your body will convert fat (the most energy dense means of storing energy) to glucose and then finally, it will convert protein (muscle) into glucose.

On the other side, since relatively little glucose is kept on hand, any carbs in excess for what your body wants to keep around for quick access are converted to LDL cholesterol and triglycerides.

Other things can drive this such as cortisol levels (caused by stress) and this is what damages your circulatory system, not the cholesterol in your eggs.

The rise in heart disease and other problems came when we went "low fat" because of some bad science and/or good lobbying by the sugar industry.

I believe the more important value for cholesterol is the ratio. Total Cholesterol/HDL and the figure should be below 5, with 3.5 being ideal. Total Cholesterol is 20% of your triglycerides + HDL + LDL.

So your figure, assuming a triglycerides value of 200, if I'm doing this right is 329/156, which isn't bad. But only you can determine the real value by adding in 20% of your triglycerides value.

Ultimately, too much of anything will cause you to get fat and suffer the consequences.

Are you getting enough nutrients in the food you eat vs the calories consumed?

More veggies, some fruits, lean meats, some dairy and breads and other carbs in moderation will make it easier to get the nutrients you need without over consuming calories to get them.

I'm not a doctor nor dietitian. Nor do I play one on TV, so double check anything read here and make sure I'm remembering correctly, etc.

Last edited:
I would cut down on added sugar in anything you eat along with processed carbs.

Fruit and vegetables.

Eat and orange vs drink orange juice.

Ask your doctor to order A1C test. It's a much better long term test for blood sugar. Glucose is a short term test for blood sugar.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Originally Posted By: Mantooth

I scored 112 about 8 years ago during a yearly physical. I was fasting at the time. Doc told me to get it below 100 and keep it there if possible. He told me if I didn't, there would be a chance of me being full diabetic within 10 yrs. I was told div>

Blood sugar readings between 100 and 110 are in the total normal range non diabetic range.

The Google machine disagrees.

Copied from Diabetes.org

Fasting Plasma Glucose (FPG)
This test checks your fasting blood glucose levels. Fasting means after not having anything to eat or drink (except water) for at least 8 hours before the test. This test is usually done first thing in the morning, before breakfast.

Diabetes is diagnosed at fasting blood glucose of greater than or equal to 126 mg/dl
Result

Fasting Plasma Glucose (FPG)
Normal less than 100 mg/dl
Prediabetes 100 mg/dl to 125 mg/dl
Diabetes 126 mg/dl or higher

As mentioned above, the HDL number appears to be a typo. The missing triglyceride number is key; some medical folks will contend it is the most important part of the lipid test to have in a good range. Here is a calculator where you can enter the numbers you have and obtain the ratios.
http://www.hughcalc.org/chol.php

If anybody is interested in additional reading, the late Dr. Duane Graveline, a former USAF flight surgeon, started a website that is full of articles on cholesterol, statins and diet. However, since his passing in 2016 it has not been kept up to date with new research articles, etc.
https://spacedoc.com

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Seems like we're missing the triglyceride number ......... without accounting for triglycerides which probably is at least 150. That would put you over 200 which is considered borderline high.

Yes, you really really really need to know this!!!

Originally Posted By: raaizin
LDL 133
HDL 156
Glucose 119

I am 57 6'1" and 195. Are these anything to be alarmed about. In all honesty I dont watch what I eat. Doctor told me watch carbs. Any thoughts. I have always been in excellent health and first health issue I have faced.....

5'11" 173-177lbs

My blood work and pressure was always good but over the years I changed the way I eat, fish, chicken, LOTs of fruit and broccoli, it took my weight down about 10 to 15 lbs to the current levels, no more fast food, no more hamburgers, ect.
I really cut down to mostly tried stopping on any "grazing" on snacks after dinner.

Red meat MAYBE once a week. Last fall my blood work hit a new low, family and doctor are like wow. BP runs around 112/70 too sometimes lower.

LDL 62
HDL 46
Tri 61
Glucose 67

Im in my later 50s, alot of it is about what we eat now a days, the only prescription in my life (so far) are contact lens.
(i hate typing this stuff, because you never know) and PSA could be lower, bears watching.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back