Want Advanced Automotive Lighting? Move to Canada!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
...Canadian vehicle regulations are usually more or less in lockstep with U.S. standards; automakers prefer to sell substantially the same vehicle on both sides of the border. But even Canadians can grow tired of politely waiting: there's still no news from NHTSA, but AFS and ADB are permitted in Canada as of last Wednesday, 21 April [March?] 2018. That's when the newly-revised Canada Motor Vehicle Safety Standard № 108 (CMVSS 108) was published in the Canada Gazette, which makes it official as a final rule; an adoption of the regulatory amendment. The new CMVSS 108 also contains upgrades to Canada's DRL requirements and other improvements...

Noted international vehicle lighting regulation expert Marcin Gorzkowski: ... "Having the adaptive driving beam (ADB)—and, what is more critical, the adaptive forward-illumination system (AFS)—allowed in Canada goes beyond just having another country allowing these systems.......As DVN readers know, ADB is one function of AFS. Allowing just ADB would not help Canadians get access to better and safer road illumination; as far as I know, no manufacturer offers ADB on a conventional high/low beam headlamp system. What is very important is that Canada now allows full AFS system as described in UN Regulation 123 and as installed per UN Regulation 48, including allowance for the aggregated maximum high beam output allowed by UN R48 (as long as the centre of the high beam is not more than 85 cm above the road surface)"...

https://www.drivingvisionnews.com/news/news-home

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
I thought Canada already permitted European headlights and bumpers

Yes, I was shipping to the U.S. 15 years ago.

Cue comment: "I still don't know why they got rid of sealed beam headlamps- they worked fine."
lol.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back