What's your favorite oil drain pan?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need a new oil drain pan. Probably getting a plastic one. Which one should I get? There are so many styles out there.

THANKS

The kind without the "top" that has the vent hole and pop-up drain. Never again.

Open top plastic ones only for me.

I bought one with a screen on top that could be capped that was way too small, a larger open-topped one that was still too small, and then a really big open pan with with a spout and cap on the side that I like a lot. Think I got the last one at O'Reilly, but I see them everywhere and didn't get it at WM just because they were out of them at the time.
Now that I think about it, the first one might still be sitting in my garage with oil from a few years ago in it...need to check!!

EDIT - the one I like is sorta like this.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Reddy45
The kind without the "top" that has the vent hole and pop-up drain. Never again.

Open top plastic ones only for me.

Yeah I switched to a 4 or 5 gallon pan that is narrow but long. Catches the drain plug and the oil filter at the same time. Much easier to deal with than the closed pans. I just pour it into an old jug to recycle.

Open top
tapered tip to pour into jugs
Also has a post to hang the filter on!
$2.99!
1.jpg

https://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/midwest...0oaAqclEALw_wcB

Last edited:
Been using this type for 10+ years. First one fell off the shelf when it was full and broke. Got another one. Very easy to use, no transferring oil into other containers.

695808.jpg

Last edited:
I prefer an open top, but used a closed one with my 5 year old running around the garage. If he brought used oil in the house my wife would be getting half of everything lol.

I just make sure I keep the holes cleared.

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
Open top
$2.99!
1.jpg

That's a nice one! A lot of the open pans have lousy spouts and can make transferring it into another container messy. I usually cut one of the empty 1 qt oil bottles in half and use it as a funnel to transfer the used oil into an old 1 gallon bleach container. I don't want to have to wait at the drop off location as they empty and return my container.

Originally Posted By: HoosierJeeper

Been using this type for 10+ years. First one fell off the shelf when it was full and broke. Got another one. Very easy to use, no transferring oil into other containers.

695808.jpg

I had one of those years ago and loved it!!

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
This one from Walmart. Tough plastic and I can carry it to dump at the auto parts store.

+1 on this pan. I bought one 2 1/2 years ago at WM. I've been happy with it.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Originally Posted By: Brybo86
Open top
$2.99!
1.jpg

That's a nice one! A lot of the open pans have lousy spouts and can make transferring it into another container messy. I usually cut one of the empty 1 qt oil bottles in half and use it as a funnel to transfer the used oil into an old 1 gallon bleach container. I don't want to have to wait at the drop off location as they empty and return my container.

9/10 my local Autozone just has me dump it. Even if someone dumps it for me, it only takes a minute. I don't mind either way. They don't make me sign anything. Walmart is a pain though - lost a half hour there once and haven't taken it back since.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back