Can OEM Denso oil filter run up to 10,000 miles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, I have Pennzoil Ultra Platinum synthetic oil that I use on my Toyota. I've done 10,000 oil change intervals on aftermarket oil filters, but will Denso OEM oil filters last up to 10,000 miles on synthetic oil? I spent so much time searching this forum for an answer, but there are many opinions about them that it left me more confused. Searching outside this forum (like Tacoma forums, iH8Mud, Subaru forums, Quora, Reddit, etc.) and they also give different answers. I made an account on BITOG just to create this post. Help?

Last edited:
Nature and life despise absolutes. So do blanket oil or oil filter life statements.

However examine the data available. Toyota and Lexus service vehicles with OE filters, those vehicles routinely get their oil changed at or beyond the manufacturer recommended oil change intervals of 10,000. I wouldn't worry a bit.

Originally Posted By: b2884987
but will Denso OEM oil filters last up to 10,000 miles on synthetic oil?

Short answer = MOST LIKELY

In fact, they'll probably last for two oil changes. Check the owner's manual.

Easily, assuming you don't have big problems in your engine.

The Toyota cartridge I removed at about 17,500 miles looked almost like new, aside from a few tiny black particles it caught, and obviously being oily.

Years ago, I owned a Honda that recommended 10K mile oil changes, and to change the oil filter every other. I ran the cheapest oil filter on the shelf for 20K miles, and they always looked perfect when I cut them open. Your Denso can easily handle 10K miles, especially considering that is the manufactures recommended interval for many Toyota's.

You see, I think that running filters for a lot of mileage is bad, but you have to know the condition of your engine and how dirty the roads you go around are in. In some instances it is fine, I have seen it in this forum and a few others as well as in YouTube where people run the filters for a long time, even changing them once every 2 years, but these people don't get the mileage or the roads to actually get dirt in their filters.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
Toyota oil filters are a step above a rock catcher. So its gonna take a long time to plug it.
No manufacturer can afford the reputation of making bad engines so the OEM/@#$*@ oil filters are more than adequate. I have nine months and four days before I can again mention the Toyota OEM oil filter manufacturer. One of the forum members took umbrage at my mentioning the brand so much.

They have a lot more media inside than others, and are a superior clean design. Do what Toyota recommends and there won't be a problem related to oil filters. Just recently I used a Fram Tough Guard on the Toyota and found shards of loose glue on the clean side of the filter. Lesson well learned, I won't make that mistake again. It's the same as when the guy took his factory Purolator made filter off a Fiat product and found the seam split open inside. Why use filters with poor QC. Once burned, you understand.

Toyota has been calling for a 10k OCI for awhile, so the filter should be designed to handle that OCI with no problems
smile.gif

But so can many other filters out there. If your Toyota takes a spin-on filter, use Fram Ultra or Wix XP (even the Fran TG and regular Wix should be able to take a 10k OCI as well)

If you use a cartridge filter, Mahle makes good cartridges for Toyota applications.

Originally Posted By: Yah-Tah-Hey
Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
Toyota oil filters are a step above a rock catcher. So its gonna take a long time to plug it.
No manufacturer can afford the reputation of making bad engines so the OEM/@#$*@ oil filters are more than adequate. I have nine months and four days before I can again mention the Toyota OEM oil filter manufacturer. One of the forum members took umbrage at my mentioning the brand so much.

I think Toyota values flow over efficiency. I know my 6.0 lq9 prefers that too. Once I quit using the Ultra, the startup slaps and ticks almost completely disappeared.

No decent oil filter chokes down the flow enough to cause a PD oil pump to hit pressure relief unless someone is starting in cold weather and revving the engine high before the oil warms up some. Start up noises are leaky ADBV related, or related to other issues not associated with an oil filter.

Yes, my owners manual states to change oil filter every other oil change. OCI is 7,500 miles on Montero. But, I go by severe service due to 4x4. There are better oil filters out there. But, you can't go wrong with OEM.

Respectfully,

Pajero!

Toyota must have thought the OEM filters it used in 1986 would last 10,000 miles because that was the recommended change interval for my 1986 Corolla. I don't know who made their filters back then, but the pleats ran 90 degrees from the norm:
161ht-toyota-genuine-oil-filter-940x529.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back