Rand Clp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was never too impressed with any CLPs, but I am also not boots on the ground in a hostile nation where I have to pack light.

When I need to do any serious cleaning, I use a solvent based spray like Birchwood Casey gun scrubber to blast it all out and then liberally coat everything with Mpro 7, Mobil1 20W50, or Shooter's Choice grease. It's not a 1-and-done type of procedure, but it gets everything REALLY clean compared to just CLP.

Originally Posted By: Tobin28
Anyone ever use it?? If not what’s the best CLP you’ve ever used?

I'm very familiar with rand. Their addpack is good, but vegetable oil tends to get sticky fast. I couldn't really point to a best, but Lucas extreme gun oil, g96 synthetic, and mpro7 lpx have all done ok for me.

Junk, vegetable oil base bio lube with "nano technology" (says so right on their website). Whatever that means. Dont waste your time or money. Avoid vegetable lubes. They will glue your gun together if you don't use it for 18 months.

Any of these are decent CLP lubes:
G96 synthetic CLP
Weaponshield
M-Pro 7
Breakfree
Shooters Choice FP-10
Hoppe's Elite Gun Oil

A good, basic principal to follow with any type of "modern" firearm lubrication.... If it's, "good for the environment", it's most likely lousy for your gun. And this includes most ANY plant ester based lubricant. Don't walk away, RUN away from them. With the possible exception of Mineral Oil, stick with petroleum based oils, greases, and lubricants.

Originally Posted By: billt460
A good, basic principal to follow with any type of "modern" firearm lubrication.... If it's, "good for the environment", it's most likely lousy for your gun. And this includes most ANY plant ester based lubricant. Don't walk away, RUN away from them. With the possible exception of Mineral Oil, stick with petroleum based oils, greases, and lubricants.

Well, most esters are reacted from vegetable oils, but the resulting product is NOT a gummy virgin vegetable oil, but a completely new lubricant

With a Flash Point of ~ 600F I have to think it contains a very high FP POE ester or polymer ester.

And esters are noted for their detergent (cleaning) ability.

However, they cannot by themselves remove metal fouling.

A substance such as a Borated ester probably describes the AW (nano) component.

To me, a Bore Cleaner and a Firearms' Lubricant are two different chemistries.

Last edited:
I've got some Frog Lube'd safe queens that I'm waiting to become "glued together" or show any kind of gumminess or stickiness. Been sitting there over 3 years now. It just hasn't happened. Picked some up dirt cheap just to try out. That being said, I've used a multitude of lubes (petroleum and otherwise based) and not one has given me unsatisfactory results. Am I doing something wrong?
21.gif

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Originally Posted By: 28oz
I've got some Frog Lube'd safe queens

Check for mold. Seriously.

I check everything, generally weekly. They all look like it was applied yesterday. I really don't get the negative hysteria over this stuff. It has not been my experience at all.

I've got some Frog Lube'd safe queens

Check for mold. Seriously.

I check everything, generally weekly. They all look like it was applied yesterday. I really don't get the negative hysteria over this stuff. It has not been my experience at all.

Sample of 1, I have had almost all of the popular veggie lubes, and the only one that didn't gum up was Geissele/ALG Go Juice. Froglube was pretty bad. Lots of people share my experiences, lots of people share yours. But would you buy an oil where lots of people posted online, with photos and other evidence, that it was directly responsible for destroying their main bearings? I sure as [censored] wouldn't. YMMV

Originally Posted By: Ws6
Sample of 1, I have had almost all of the popular veggie lubes, and the only one that didn't gum up was Geissele/ALG Go Juice. Froglube was pretty bad. Lots of people share my experiences, lots of people share yours. But would you buy an oil where lots of people posted online, with photos and other evidence, that it was directly responsible for destroying their main bearings? I sure as [censored] wouldn't. YMMV

Here I couldn't agree more. Why chance it based on the reasoning you just happened to get away with what most have not? With all the petro based "gun lubes" currently being marketed out there, not to mention all of the automotive lubricants and greases, both dino and synthetic, that for sure and for certain won't gum up, where is the reward if you manage to skirt the odds by using Frog Lube?

Bubbatime brought his A game with this reply - use any of his recommendations with complete confidence !
Junk, vegetable oil base bio lube with "nano technology" (says so right on their website). Whatever that means. Dont waste your time or money. Avoid vegetable lubes. They will glue your gun together if you don't use it for 18 months.

Any of these are decent CLP lubes:
G96 synthetic CLP
Weaponshield
M-Pro 7
Breakfree
Shooters Choice FP-10
Hoppe's Elite Gun Oil

Originally Posted By: Ws6

Here I couldn't agree more. Why chance it based on the reasoning you just happened to get away with what most have not? With all the petro based "gun lubes" currently being marketed out there, not to mention all of the automotive lubricants and greases, both dino and synthetic, that for sure and for certain won't gum up, where is the reward if you manage to skirt the odds by using Frog Lube?

I agree, although I would ask you to qualify your "..most have not" statement. I'm not beholden to any one lube, including Frog Lube. I've used and own many. I bought this bottle for a couple dollars to try out. My experience has been my experience and I cannot speak for others, although, I've yet to come across any personal first hand negative experiences with it. Only the "I read online that it does this...or, I saw on Youtube" type of review. I simply posted *my* results. However, to say that *IT WILL* get gummy or "glue your gun together" as someone else mentioned, is disingenuous.

I am curious to see what happens when it gets mixed with a petroleum based lube (if I believe the internet, it will probably explode...). Last night, I mixed a 1:1 mixture of Frog Lube with some leftover virgin Castrol 0W-40 in a glass dish just for giggles. As of this morning, absolutely nothing visible has happened and is still extremely slick. I'll give it some time or apply some heat and post back if I observe anything. Nothing scientific, just observational. Cheers!
34.gif

.....I am curious to see what happens when it gets mixed with a petroleum based lube (if I believe the internet, it will probably explode...).

It is Frog Lube, (not the Internet), who makes a big deal of this. They are the ones who say it is imperative that ALL of the petroleum based lubricant must be removed before any Frog Lube product is applied. Those who parrot this on the Internet are simply putting forth Frog Lube's own instructions that come with their product.... Along with the hair dryers, preheating, and all of their other over complicated application methods.

.....I am curious to see what happens when it gets mixed with a petroleum based lube (if I believe the internet, it will probably explode...).

It is Frog Lube, (not the Internet), who makes a big deal of this. They are the ones who say it is imperative that ALL of the petroleum based lubricant must be removed before any Frog Lube product is applied. Those who parrot this on the Internet are simply putting forth Frog Lube's own instructions that come with their product.... Along with the hair dryers, preheating, and all of their other over complicated application methods.

Oh yeah, I understand that. I'm simply curious what will happen, if anything if they are mixed. I'm perfectly happy using a multitude of petro based lubes on my carry guns. I simply wanted to try it and see what my results would be. So far, none of them have been negative. YMMV, of course.

I wont use a lube (Froglube) that requires completely cleaning and de-greasing the gun with soap and water and/or brake cleaner, and then ONLY using that lube forward, AND applying it with a hair dryer "for proper application".

Spend a lot of time on the range, and you will forget your lube at home, and borrow whatever CLP lube the range has or another shooter has. I don't have the time or patience to use a lube that has a very specific instructions for application. I know for a fact that I can mix G96, Breakfree, FP10, or Slip 2000 if I need to quickly throw lube on my gun without any side affects.

I wont use a lube (Froglube) that requires completely cleaning and de-greasing the gun with soap and water and/or brake cleaner, and then ONLY using that lube forward, AND applying it with a hair dryer "for proper application".

Spend a lot of time on the range, and you will forget your lube at home, and borrow whatever CLP lube the range has or another shooter has. I don't have the time or patience to use a lube that has a very specific instructions for application. I know for a fact that I can mix G96, Breakfree, FP10, or Slip 2000 if I need to quickly throw lube on my gun without any side affects.

Very valid point, and I agree. Simply wanted to share my experience, not start any arguments.

I believe this is why Frog Lube is starting to quickly fall out of favor. Especially by people with large gun collections who shoot a lot. That, and the tendency it has to gum up in storage. It's just not worth the hassle.

You should always use a lubricant by itself, as 2 addpacks can actually cause more wear than no addpack, sometimes, in some cases. That said, bio does not mix with petrol lube. Further, that hair dryer and heating stuff is pretty much [censored]. IT can be ignored. If you choose to use FrogLube (I wouldn't), just de-grease, and apply like any other CLP, and motor on. I would advise you to clean with it every week to avoid it staying on and gumming up, though. Replace old with new. If you use the biolubes like that, and you are confident you are keeping it out of striker channels, etc...then they don't cause issue really, but you have to keep on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back