QS 3600 Oil Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I live in an apt. complex for disabled and elderly people. My monthly rent is based upon how much my SSDI check is. So, you can say the Federal government has a lot to do with this complex.
There are very strict rules here. And, the maintenance dept. here is always on top of things. They paint the apts. every 3 years. Yesterday and today was/is my turn.
When the maintenance men moved a shelf away from the wall there was a QS 3600 oil filter behind it. The box was dusty. I have no clue where it came from, or how long it has been behind the shelf. I know someone from here sent it to me as part of my charity OCI's 2-3 years ago, I think. I have posted pics of it. Someone de-coded the numbers on the filter and I was hoping they would possibly notice their hand writing.
I already have a home for it. An elderly man at my church has an 02 F150, 4.2V6, and I will donate it to him.
smile.gif

The box reads SOPUS on it. How long of an OCI can it be used for? It looks like it has a dome end by-pass in it. And, it looks more like a PH 3614 because of its length.
21.gif

I used to occasionally use these, years ago. You're right about the reduced size on the length. It's probably more like a 3614 instead of a 3600.
If you've ever seen the QS8A filters, they are the size of a 3600. In other words, Quaker State has really reduced the size of their filters.
IMO, this is a 5K filter, tops. If you've ever cut these open, you'll find that the media area is pretty small.
Plus, it's made by Purolator, so there's an above-average chance that it may be torn.
I'd probably still use it, but only if the engine is not sludged and I would never use this on an extended run.

How long is it good for?
Being a Puro made filter, it is good till the media tears, so 10 miles to 10,000 miles?
Although this filter was made in 2012, before the media tearing began.

A "normal" 3000-5000 mile interval would be fine.

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter

I know someone from here sent it to me as part of my charity OCI's 2-3 years ago, I think. I have posted pics of it. Someone de-coded the numbers on the filter and I was hoping they would possibly notice their hand writing.
It looks like it has a dome end by-pass in it. And, it looks more like a PH 3614 because of its length.
21.gif

that was me...

they are shorter than they used to be, but even the fl400s(which this crosses to and why i bought it) is shorter than it used to be. the WIX equivalent is still longer.

the 3614 is even shorter still..

just looked up in my history, sent you that box of oil & filters 2 years ago this week.
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ub...lyr#Post4058398

in the pic you put at the beginning of that thread, the fl400s, the qs3600, and the Pureone PL20195 are all cross referenced to the same filter. that pl20195 is the length of the old Fl400, Wix still uses that size.

Last edited:
Its a tearolator classic dressed for st patty's day. I still remember the days of losing qwacker state plastic bottle cover rings down the filler hole..

Originally Posted By: earlyre
Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter

I know someone from here sent it to me as part of my charity OCI's 2-3 years ago, I think. I have posted pics of it. Someone de-coded the numbers on the filter and I was hoping they would possibly notice their hand writing.
It looks like it has a dome end by-pass in it. And, it looks more like a PH 3614 because of its length.
21.gif

that was me...

they are shorter than they used to be, but even the fl400s(which this crosses to and why i bought it) is shorter than it used to be. the WIX equivalent is still longer.

the 3614 is even shorter still..

just looked up in my history, sent you that box of oil & filters 2 years ago this week.
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ub...lyr#Post4058398

in the pic you put at the beginning of that thread, the fl400s, the qs3600, and the Pureone PL20195 are all cross referenced to the same filter. that pl20195 is the length of the old Fl400, Wix still uses that size.

Thanks earlyre. The gentleman that's getting the filter will probably thank you too.
thumbsup2.gif

I have a couple of QS3600 filters in my stash as oversize for the PH3614 size our Toro ZTR mower calls for. Made to Shell specs, it has 95% efficient at 20 microns synthetic blend media, different from the plain cellulose media of a basic Purolator.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back