Tips to change vertical oil filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I did a quick search and didn't see anything.

Does anyone have some tips on changing vertical oil filters without a mess? I've never had an issue with horizontally mounted filters but the vertical ones seem to drain all over me while I'm trying to remove them from the engine.

Also, any home made tricks on catching oil out of a plug inserted horizontally? Did the oil in my GMC Sierra last night and used our new lift for the first time. Had the catch pan in place but the oil came out so strong that it hit the passenger side ramp. I Was thinking about cutting the bottom off a 5 quart jug and using it as a catch funnel next time. Any other options?

Originally Posted By: Eddie
I use a one gallon Zip Lock bag. Cover the filter while removing it.

That is a pretty good idea. Thanks!

I unscrew the filter just enough to let the oil leak out, covering the filter and pouring into the pan. Once it’s dead, I finish unscrewing it and tip it upside down to drain into the pan. Much easier when using a Fram with the anti-slip coating on the end. Another great reason to use Fram.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Before loosening the filter take a small punch or awl and knock a hole in the bottom of the filter and let it drain out, then remove filter at your conveience.

In regards to catching the oil out of the plug I hold my plastic drain pan against the oil pan when removing the plug. After a few seconds of power drain I set it on the ground. This allows for hot oil draining without the mess.

Originally Posted By: Superflop
Before loosening the filter take a small punch or awl and knock a hole in the bottom of the filter and let it drain out, then remove filter at your conveience.
Best response so far.
An ice pick also works to get a small hole in there. Let it drain into pan for neatness of course.

Best response so far.
An ice pick also works to get a small hole in there. Let it drain into pan for neatness of course.

^^^^^ This

I just watched a video (the truck in your sig.)on your oil filter removal, very messy. Mine has the vertical mount also but as long as I keep it straight up and down I hardly have any oil come out.

I use the milk bag trick. We have 1 liter milk bags in Canada, perfect fit for a vertical oil filter.
Also, I build an extra high lip on the back of my oil catch pan with heavy duty aluminum foil to direct the oil stream back into the pan.

The Ziploc bag idea is great! The 5S has an oil filter that is facing down at approximately 30* angle which is nearly impossible to do in a clean manner. The 1ZZ is vertical, and I also unscrew it just enough to let it drain out before taking it off. The 2AR makes an absolute mess regardless of what you do since the cartridge filter is located above the frame in a tight location. Any remaining oil is cleaned off with Seafoam spray. If the oil is still coming out too strong, try to drain it with the oil fill cap and dipstick still in. That might slow it down a bit?

Originally Posted By: rollinpete
I just watched a video (the truck in your sig.)on your oil filter removal, very messy. Mine has the vertical mount also but as long as I keep it straight up and down I hardly have any oil come out.

This is exactly the technique I use. Maybe we should call it the "Cascading Oil Method".
lol.gif

Sometimes an oil line right above the filter will not dispense any oil and get accepted by the filter, when the filter is punched-thru with a tool like an awl.
So you may still witness a dripping mess when unscrewing the old filter.
That's how it is with my Chevy Colorado 3.5

On a 2001 Silverado, I do a couple things mentioned above.

Unscrew the filter enough to let the block drain, and then remove it the rest of the way with a rag or glove and drop it into the pan. I hold the drain pan at an angle when I first pull the plug and adjust the pan location as the stream shortens.

This is all done with the truck in the driveway--I can just fit underneath with the front tires on 2x8s.

I cut the top and bottom off a 2 liter soda bottle. This sleeve is then slid over and above the filter. Then the filter is finally loosened. Any spray at the filter to mounting joint is within the clear sleeve and drains to the drain pan.

I use a cut off 5 gallon bucket as the drain pan as I have a few vehicles with greater than 5 quart capacity. I loosen the drain plug and hold in place at an angle to restrict the oil draining from the engine. I keep the drain pan close to the drain plug.

Originally Posted By: Dorian
The Ziploc bag idea is great! The 5S has an oil filter that is facing down at approximately 30* angle which is nearly impossible to do in a clean manner. The 1ZZ is vertical, and I also unscrew it just enough to let it drain out before taking it off. The 2AR makes an absolute mess regardless of what you do since the cartridge filter is located above the frame in a tight location. Any remaining oil is cleaned off with Seafoam spray. If the oil is still coming out too strong, try to drain it with the oil fill cap and dipstick still in. That might slow it down a bit?

The 5S-FE I had on a 99 Camry was the cleanest filter change once I figured out I have to let the car sit for half an hour before removing the filter. That helped with the exhaust manifold shield burns too.
The 1ZZ-FE on the other hand, makes a mess whether I wait for it to drain partially unscrewed or not. As I'm sneakingly changing the oil inside the apartment complex, I don't have the luxury of raising the Corolla, punching a hole and waiting for it to drain for half an hour.

Last edited:
Great responses so far! Thanks guys!

And yes, as seen in the video, it's stupid messy!!

Instead of a drain pan, use a 5 or 10 gallon bucket or any other tall container rather than the typical flat and round drain pan.
Get the car to a height where you can just get your hand between the drain plug and the bucket, and the mess can't go anywhere.

My Suburban is the messiest vehicle ever for oil changes. As mentioned earlier, I also punch a hole in the bottom of the filter and let it drain before removal. Helps immensely.

Originally Posted By: Rhymingmechanic
On a 2001 Silverado, I do a couple things mentioned above.

Unscrew the filter enough to let the block drain, and then remove it the rest of the way with a rag or glove and drop it into the pan. I hold the drain pan at an angle when I first pull the plug and adjust the pan location as the stream shortens.

This is all done with the truck in the driveway--I can just fit underneath with the front tires on 2x8s.

I've had to hold the drain pan on every late model Chevy truck I've had at the anticipated spot it might shoot out at, and it's hit and miss at that. The one thing I've always done backwards is draining the oil before the filter, which get's accidently dropped into pan of hot oil. Next time, I'm going to let the filter drop into a nearly empty drain pan FIRST.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back