A Question For Helicpotor Pilots ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Originally Posted By: pkunk
A slightly out of adjustment of the rotor control arms is what causes the wap-wap wap of (especially a Huey), they are very difficult to adjust.

No, it isnt.

It's caused by the tail rotor. NOTAR birds are near silent.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
He explained it already: main rotor heads allow for blade flap. Advancing blades go up, increasing pitch. Retreating blades go down, decreasing pitch.

Billt460,
watch that Russian youtube video.

You can CLEARLY see the pitch of the blade changing as the main rotor begins rotation.

I did not read the entire thread, but we must also remember that on many models the blades "lead and lag" by some small (but not inconsequential) measurement too (by design)

The advancing blade lags (slows down) and the retreating blade leads (speeds up)
The advancing blade also flaps up to relieve the load.

All this is done via bearings or, in the case of the Eurocopter EC135, flexible parts.

My balance equipment will accurately show how much the blades are leading and lagging.

However, to answer the OP's question directly, in modern complex helicopters, the pilot will trim the controls (the cyclic) for the flight regime. In high speed forward flight, the cyclic is moved considerably forward and to the side slightly. It's then trimmed to relieve control pressure.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
...... However, to answer the OP's question directly, in modern complex helicopters, the pilot will trim the controls (the cyclic) for the flight regime. In high speed forward flight, the cyclic is moved considerably forward and to the side slightly. It's then trimmed to relieve control pressure.

Thanks, that is the answer I was looking for. Not so much how the nuts and bolts mechanics of the process work, but rather HOW they work in relationship to the flight controls. (Cyclic and collective pitch controls). By either pilot input, or else by some other system of automated controls. Does the cyclic on a helicopter trim out much like the ailerons, elevator, and rudder of a conventional airplane?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back