GTL Plant to be built in Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.
There was an Aussie company thta was going to use GTL, and road train tankers to avoid installing a pipeline.

Were going to use underground gassification as feedstock

They messed up, currently in court for environmental offences, and unrepresented as they are in recievership.

I thought that the GTL and tanker was a good way of getting an income stream while building money for the pipeline...not sure of the underground syngas however.

Originally Posted By: Nyogtha
The article describes this as a commercial scale GTL plant, but it will only produce 500 BPD, about two tanker truckloads, of naphtha and diesel.

https://www.kallanishenergy.com/2017/12/04/rocky-mountain-gtl-to-build-canadian-gtl-project/

Thanks for the update. This is in my neck of the woods. GTL is interesting technology and as Shell has discovered the best economics is with making feedstock for motor oil. These guys want to make diesel, so a bit more of a challenge as the price you get for diesel is so much less than motor oil. We’ll see.

Last edited:
Should be interesting to watch. I don't see the cost/revenue working for them.

Check out this video - what greyrock call waste gas, is actually steam from cooling towers.
If they want to muddy the message like this on their main home page, what's really going on here?
Greyrock is supplying the GTL technology.

http://www.greyrock.com/

Yeah, lets’s see how they do with natural gas from a pipeline as a feedstock first. By the way the Sturgeon refinery in Edmonton is about to start production , making 50,000 bbls per day of diesel directly from bitumen. 5 years in the making and 100% over budget.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SubieRubyRoo
Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
the price you get for diesel is so much less than motor oil.

Whaaaaa?
1 gallon diesel fuel: ~$3.00 USD
5 quarts GTL engine oil: ~$25+

That's what I mean. You get $25 for engine oil and only $3 for Diesel. These guys are trying to make diesel.

The article describes this as a commercial scale GTL plant, but it will only produce 500 BPD, about two tanker truckloads, of naphtha and diesel.

https://www.kallanishenergy.com/2017/12/04/rocky-mountain-gtl-to-build-canadian-gtl-project/

Thanks for the update. This is in my neck of the woods. GTL is interesting technology and as Shell has discovered the best economics is with making feedstock for motor oil. These guys want to make diesel, so a bit more of a challenge as the price you get for diesel is so much less than motor oil. We’ll see.

Hopefully Shell has it all figured out as they went all in and bet the farm on that Pearl GTL plant. The amount of money they spent is staggering.

Last edited:

Shell makes a lot of jet fuel and diesel, as well as naphtha, from their Pearl GTL plant. Transportation fuels are what really pays the bills with lubes as more of a sideline. The cetane rating of diesel produced from the GTL process can be as high as 70, leaving a lot of room for blending with less costly lower cetane material. Last figures I recall is the lube base stock production at the Pearl facility is around 24K BPD out of 140 KBPD total production, with middle ditillates being maximized.

Your economics at retail include a lot of expensive additives in a finihed lubricant while the Pearl facility only manufactures lube base oils, something to consider.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Danno
Should be interesting to watch. I don't see the cost/revenue working for them.

Check out this video - what greyrock call waste gas, is actually steam from cooling towers.
If they want to muddy the message like this on their main home page, what's really going on here?
Greyrock is supplying the GTL technology.

http://www.greyrock.com/

Yeah I'm skeptical this will be a commercial success, look at some of the other stuff Greyrock is into. What's most interesting to me is this "demonstration" plant in my eyes plans to use CO2 emissions from the equipment as part of the feedstock. Time will tell.

[quote

Your economics at retail include a lot of expensive additives in a finihed lubricant while the Pearl facility only manufactures lube base oils, something to consider.[/quote]

Yes, I’d like to see what the cost actually is because I’m thinking the markup is still vastly superior to diesel oil. Diesel is a commodity but the lube companies have huge advertising budgets that they can easily pay for with the markup. The metal additives and calcium etc is not bad because it’s in PPM. But yes additives for the multivis properties do cost money.

Last edited:
Not likely for a massive process stream to make one final product …
Another advantage Shell/Pennzoil (and ExxonMobil) have is Infineum

Quite true.

A chemical reactor in oil refining generally starts with a mixture of substances and yields a mixture of different substances. Then seperation science is applied to seperate the new mixture into useful fractions. Some such as petro hemicals (e.g. benzene, ethylene, propylene) will be further refined to high purity.

In the petrochemical & chemical industries, generally the key to high purity products from a chemical reactor is having high purity feedstocks (reactants). Having high purity feedstocks is the result of seperation science in the processes producing those materials.

we sleep but technology never does!!! always looking for better ways to make more $$$$$$$$ the bottom line!!! very interesting stuff for sure!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back