Snap-On Warranty Denied

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently broke a pretty old Snap-on wrench and thought no big deal I'll swap it out. Nope. Not really that upset just never heard it put this way.

Here is the email.

"Thank you for contacting Snap-On Tools. Unfortunately, the model number J1618 is discontinued.
I have checked for a replacement. But, the replacement is also discontinued. Therefore, that wrench warranty has expired.
Indeed, our lifetime warranty stands for the lifetime of the tool itself.
The warranty ends when the tool is discontinued and we no longer have any replacement available for it. which is the case with your wrench."

I would rather get denied once in a while and have them continue to make quality USA tools and stay in business rather than sell out / go under like Craftsman and Sears.

What a cop out.

I like snap on tools, but have ALWAYS HATED their sales people, and their company attitudes towards customers.

Man sucks they couldn't give you "something" as an alternative?

I remember when I broke a Husky screwdriver set that had a lifetime warranty, I went to Home Depot eight years later and they no longer had it nor a replacement, so they told me to find the most comparable screwdriver set I could find and gave me that even though it cost more.

Buy a replacement at Harbor freight for cheap and move on. You could probably buy three for the price of one Snap-On tool.

Same as the one in the picture.
I have had them replace the broken tool with something close enough before but never just flat out denied and given this explanation. Lifetime of the tool is until it is broken which means there is no warranty. I guess. They update all the time. I wish there was a store that sold quality tools. I hate warranty replacements. I just want it to work and be done with it.

Last edited:
I had the same with a couple of Hazet ratchets many years ago - no longer a current moodel, they can't give a replacement. I still use them with dodgy repairs.

Many years ago as I was starting out as a motorcycle mechanic I splurged and bought a high dollar compression tester from Snap on. It never would hold the pressure on the gauge and would leak down right away so It was worthless. Tried to get it replaced the next time the Snap-on truck came by. He wouldn't do it. I learned a very expensive lesson. Never bought from them again. The Craftsman tools worked fine for me.

I can't understand the mechanics I know who spend $6K for a Snap on tool chest. No tools just the chest. The ones from Harbor Freight are just as good for a few hundred dollars

If the part number was still in production, they'd would've sent you a new wrench. Life of the tool means life of the tool and it's corresponding part number. You're being totally unreasonable.

Still sucks no matter what way you look at it.

Could have at least given some sort of discount toward another tool or something...

I would at least expect some credit towards something similar...

Most of my tools are from O'Reilly. Lifetime warranty at 5k locations in the US? Awesome! Not all are great quality but most of the PowerTorque brand tools are good. I do try to avoid the Ultra Steel and Performance Tool brands though.

Last edited:
Their tools might not be the greatest but they always stood behind them. I had a few tools Craftsman tools over the years that were discontinued and got a similar replacement, no questions asked. So much for Snap-On's warranty, it sucks in my book.

Originally Posted By: NoNameJoe
Man sucks they couldn't give you "something" as an alternative?

I remember when I broke a Husky screwdriver set that had a lifetime warranty, I went to Home Depot eight years later and they no longer had it nor a replacement, so they told me to find the most comparable screwdriver set I could find and gave me that even though it cost more.

This X 1000

I would wash my hands and never give those crooks another dime.

That is a really good strategy! Continuously changing the part numbers on tools so you can deny a warranty and force the sheep to spend more $$$

Sounds like the FORCE in snap on fan boys is strong.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: das_peikko
If the part number was still in production, they'd would've sent you a new wrench. Life of the tool means life of the tool and it's corresponding part number. You're being totally unreasonable.

You run a snap on truck? LOL

I wish companies would drop the "lifetime" [censored]. It's obviously nonsense. I've had things that Sears wouldn't swap out for various reasons.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Shabby CS!

For sure. A supposedly high quality tool, at a high price point, I would have expected better CS. They'll never see another dime of my money. Thanks for posting OP.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
What a cop out.

I like snap on tools, but have ALWAYS HATED their sales people, and their company attitudes towards customers.
I had the same experience with some of the first tools I ever bought-had one Snap-On ratchet that broke, they refused to replace it-never bought them again. Exclusively Craftsman for me!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back